New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Candidates
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Anybody seeing any velvet bucks? Got a herd of 6 in my clover plot every night, one was a big 7 point that I kept passing last year, so far this summer he's already out past his ears, 5" brows and forked for the first tall tines. He's going to be a whopper this year, looks like a Texas buck.

Saw a pair of twin fawns the other evening, too, and last week saw a sika doe at my mailbox - they are slowwwwly getting my way. Big Grin

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing does and youngsters; but no bucks so far. Toward the end of summer I expect to see bucks in the back yard, in the street and all around; they feel safe in the "burbs". A couple years ago two enormous bucks spent two complete days in out back yard. Also have albinos around, too.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Not yet. We have a lot of deer where I live, and I see tracks near our place on the dirt road almost every day. There's also a state preserve nearby where I like to walk in the woods, pretty regularly now that I'm retired. My wife and I were trail riding out there one or two times a week until it got too hot and buggy for the horses and the lady. I'll be rambling on foot by myself until the weather cools down, several months from now.

The does out there are remarkably tame, and if you're on horseback they don't even stop chewing when you ride past, only 8-10 feet away. I've been out there often enough that I think some of them even recognize me at this point. Even when I'm on foot, they aren't too skittish.

The bucks are another matter. I rarely see them except during the rut, when they have love on their minds and throw some of their usual caution to the winds. I think they are hunted pretty hard around here in season. While hunting is prohibited in the preserve, the deer that cross the boundary are fair game, and the rangers tell me there is some poaching. The bucks tend to be quite wary.

I took an unmarked trail in the preserve one day and walked to the boundary fence. I found where somebody had a dirt berm just on the other side, and a shooting bench set up about fifty yards away, with the shooting lane parallel to the fence. There was a feed box set up a little way off from the fence, so the critters could jump the fence and cross the shooting lane right in front of the berm on their way to the feed box. Somebody had really thought it through. Maybe not very sporting, but a good, safe way to get a clear shot and a clean kill. I was a little put off by it, but if it's legal it's not a problem, and in the absence of natural predators, the deer herd in the preserve probably needs some thinning from time to time.

Sorry for rambling. I've been looking for velvet bucks, but they have eluded me so far this season.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The deer population around here is relatively low. I have seen a couple of does and one turkey hen with a half dozen chicks around her. That is all.

The fishing has been good this spring, but now it is getting too hot and humid.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Deer are something of a pest inside the city especially the "burbs". WE get a lot of deer hit by cars, too. But these geniuses put "deer crossing" signs in the worst places. They put them where you can't see cars coming, very well. They need to put them in safer places so the deer have a safer place to cross instead where they get hit so much. Big Grin

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
LOL....So you saw that article too?
Deer are pests around here,we call the local herd "the breakfast club",they wander around making faces at local dogs,and calling them names too,to judge from our dogs' reaction....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
But these geniuses put "deer crossing" signs in the worst places. They put them where you can't see cars coming, very well. They need to put them in safer places so the deer have a safer place to cross instead where they get hit so much. Big Grin

Good one!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There was an article some years back in the Pennsylvania Game News about a woman who observed a state worker putting up deer crossing signs by her property. She asked him if he could move the signs as she didn't want any deer crossing her property.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That's the one....Laughed my butt off...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well that one big one I was seeing turned out to be a different buck I know well, once his antlers grew out a bit and I could tell better. Buck I call "High & Wide", 5.5 years old that always leaves my place by October and shows back up in late January. He's been an 8 once, a wierd 7 last year after taking a buckshot hit 2 miles down the road, this year he is a giant 6 point. And I mean big, like 22" wide with 12" G2's. Setting up a stand and early season food plot just for him this year, I need to get after him in September for early archery season.

He's running with a decent 8 and a decent 7 as well, also several smaller guys and one freak with a 15" spike straigt up on one side, another 15" spike on the other side that curls straight down beside his head. There's a few others I'm still looking for, but those are bucks that never show on my place until October so there's hope for those yet.

Lots of deer, all my fields look great, season is coming fast. Can't wait for fall!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Osprey, I killed a buck much like the one spike and one fold over like you describe. I thought it was a doe. It was scarred up from being hit by a car. The folded over spike had curved into his muzzle.