MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Deer broadside 25 yds Flash-in-the pan!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer broadside 25 yds Flash-in-the pan!
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Snapping caps to clear a percussion rifle before loading is a widespread practice. But I don't think flashing in the pan has the same channel-clearing force. In addition, as already pointed out, once black powder has burned it attracts water/moisture out of the humidity in the air like crazy. There are people on this list that have to wipe the burnt powder off their gunflints!

We all learn. Don't take anything mentioned here as an affront or personal assault.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Fowler,
I'll echo what Sparks just said about learning.

In the buckskinning gang, it used to be common practice to blow down our barrels in between shots, on the theory that we blew out or burnt out any remaining embers and also demonstrated that the channel from barrel to either cap or pan was in fact open. That practice was even portrayed in a popular movie--what was it called? The one with Charleton Heston and Brian Keith. Anyway, in a combat situation against Indians, it seemed pretty silly. We don't do it as much any more because we ARE PLACING OUR MOUTHS OVER THE BARREL OF A GUN!!!
But that IS one way to make sure your vent is open before loading an empty gun. If you can blow through it, it will go off if you do everything else correctly.

Good luck.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
We all learn. Don't take anything mentioned here as an affront or personal assault

this is true I meant no disrespct top you or your ability/knowledge of the sport, and I still blow down the barrel after a shot noe an again as much top PO some of those I shoot with as anything else, I do not see it as a safety issue if one is paying even the least bit of attention to what they are doing and I have yet been able to find a way to load or clean my guns that some part of my body is not in line with the barrel, but this is another topic good for a dozen pages of arguements and foolishness.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Before I load and after I dry my barrel out with a few clean patches I ram the patch down the barrel real rapidly a few times to blow the air the ramrod compresses out the touch hole. This action will blow any oil out the vent.

If my flint is sharp and tight I have never had a flash in the pan on the first shot, never. I must be doing something right.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post