Notify
Tools

Old eyes & new sights
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MountainRanger:
I wish I could find and put onto my flintlock a sight with built-in Tri-focals Big Grin

There are globe type front sights that are made in such a way that a single lens can be fitted to it so as to magnify the front sight & target. I have one of these on my Anschutz 1413 Match Rifle and I am amazed at how well it works. I would think a person could make one fit on a black powder gun. I, too, have become plagued with the vision problems that getting older brings. I have found that highly reflective sights are very difficult for me to use effectively. Large, flat topped front and rear sights that are non-reflecting are best for me. A little soot from a flame even helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Haggis,

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Same here, Haggis. It seems as if when we age, everything goes to pot. I can't see worth a hoot and I have tremors. Funny how all our powers start leaving together.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Same here, Haggis & Hanshi, I much prefer the large square front & rear sights but in the dripping wet dark woods under a thick canopy of fir trees, the open iron front sights totally disappears so the need for peep sights on my hunting rifles. I also paint my big fat front sight white.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I paint mine white as you do. A white front blade shows up really well in the dark, shady woods. I found that the browned/blued front sights disappear against a squirrel, deer or tree. White paint makes them pick up a lot of light.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stone Fence
posted Hide Post
Ditto to all who mentioned the challenges associated with aging eyes (and other parts). A few years ago I started painting the front sight (top of the blade only) white as well. I settled on using General Motors "Bright White" touch-up for cars for its durability - got it from one of the parts stores. I found that other paints quickly flaked off or didn't remain bright. It made a huge difference in lower light conditions.

My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 20 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Stone,thanks for the helpful hint!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post