MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    hunting in Daniel Boone country?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting in Daniel Boone country?
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Are there any hunters here from southwest Virginia/Cumberland Gap area? I am looking for some pristine forest areas for hunting and outdoor recreation. Eventually, I am thinking about putting up a cabin as a retreat or maybe retirement hideout. For awhile I was thinking about Pennsylvania, but it seems all that solitude could be endangered by gas drilling. Nothing too traditional about that! Maybe VA would be a better location.

.40 cal. flint Cabin Creek Pa Mtn. Rifle
.54 cal. percussion Lyman GPR

Posts: 53 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: 26 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Lincoln county KY Is Boones and Kentons stomping grounds to. Nice area ,lots of woods &deer&turkey%SQ,s

Posts: 167 | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to move further afield, Defiance MO has some great land next to the 8,398 acre Weldon Springs Conservation Area. Defiance is the site of Ol’Daniel’s final home and possible final resting place. I swear I hunted places there, that had not seen a white man since Daniel. It is a great location for hunting, fishing and Trekking.

Much better weather than VA or PA and a more favorable gun climate.

Posts: 7 | Location: GA currently, formerly Defiance MO | Registered: 18 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The Nathan Boone home at Defiance, Missouri and the Femme Osage country around there is cool. I volunteered there for a few years. That is also one of Missouri's "wine country" areas.

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Posts: 272 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Hey, Sharps! You had ME at "wine country" Big Grin What a deal!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, you mean you were that close to where I live and didn't let me know? Welp, I'll be a son-of-a-gun...

Posts: 272 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a question for the list, specially Turtle Dave. What kind of squirrels do you guy hunt with your rifles? I think that we have a different species up here in the Pocono Mts.. They never sit still enough for a shot from a rifle. I can't hit a deer running(the deer is runing, I'm too old to run),so I wouldn't even think of shooting at a running squirrel. Now go to the bottom of the mountains and they will practically pose for the shot. Thank goodness for the smooth bore, except for the occasional pellet.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't live all that far from davey. We have gray squirrels and fox squirrels. Often the fox squirrels will be called red squirrels but they aren't to be confused with the northern little red squirrel. Grays are active, no doubt about that! Usually if you are patient you will get a sitting shot.....in time. They're just starting to work the hickories here and if you can find a tree they're working a sitting shot should be a piece of cake. I would imagine the beech trees in your area would offer the same opportunity.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
We are just getting the squirrels back. the only mast trees we have in my neighborhood are beech.About 2 years ago they started producing nut with meat in them. They went through some sort of a blight some years back. It seems like every one you see is always on the move. so we have to use smoothbores.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post