MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Christened the .20ga Early Virginia with a few doves this morning...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christened the .20ga Early Virginia with a few doves this morning...
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted
Amazing what a difference 48 hours and a change in weather can make…after last night’s rain, the heat and humidity this morning was like a steam bath…and birds were definitely not flying like they were Saturday morning.

Only got 8 shots, missed 2, put down 6, couldn’t find 1, brought out 5.
But that was enough to add a “notch” to “The Settler”…my .20ga Early Virginia.
She’s now taken Squirrels, a nice 10 pointer + Does, a Turkey, and Doves.
No question a .20ga Flintlock is a very versatile hunting gun.

The black powder Dove load I tried today was:
70grn measure of Goex 3F black powder
1/2” Circle Fly lubed cushion wad
(bare bore - no shot cup)
90grn measure of #7.5s
2 Circle Fly over shot cards

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Way to go, rb.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I am envious.
I am still having trouble killing paper.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Nice going! It's that time of year again.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Good shooting RB. Them doves would be good marinated in coca cola an then grilled with some spicy bbq sauce Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post