New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tough, tough, tough
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Man, I'm having a rough season. I have new neighbors both places I routinely hunt and they're giving me fits. One place is a friend's backyard marsh, but the new neighbor cleared out all their cover next door and it just messed up deer movement. Tons of deer and lots of trail cam pics, but all night movement this year.

That would just be a stroke of bad luck, but on my farm it's even worse. New neighbor bought the 70 acres next door. Probably the worst of my fears. For starters he's got two 10 year old boys with quads. He's from the city and doesn't seem to have a clue about country life or property lines. And he's letting his construction crew hunt all over. And he's clearing acres of brush and bedding cover, evenings for the last two months, running brush hogs and stump grinders, seemingly always in the last hour of light when I'm trying to hunt. Deer are spooky, nocturnal or moved out.

I know I had it lucky in the past, with neighbors that didn't hunt or hunted smart and low impact, but this sucks.

Sorry, just needed to vent...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Legitimate gripes. Here is the place to do it.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Osprey:
Man, I'm having a rough season.

Me too. The only deer that I have seen this season was a doe that ran across the road in front of me as I was driving home one night last week.

Back in the mountains, in the big timber, deer are scarce and well scattered. I like to hunt there because there are few other hunters. However, I spent a week up there without seeing any game.
Here at home I am slowly being squeezed and confined by encroaching civilization. New owners locked me out of 200 acres behind my house that I used to hunt. It was clear-cut and then they built their house and barn on it.
Across the street there is still 90 acres that I can wander, but so do some kids on ATV's. They found my trails and tore them up with their 4 wheelers. I don't think there are more a half dozen deer remaining in the whole area.
On the other hand, the coyote population has exploded. One of my neighbors witnessed a coyote pull down a fawn in her pasture last spring. Turkeys have disappeared, and other small game has become very scarce. I will be waging war on the coyotes this winter!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Man,that's terrible....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ospray might check your local laws,, up here you must be 16 to operate an ATV,,,,
The clearing your neighbor is doing might benefit if the deer move onto you for bedding and food.
Rancocas you got Coyotes,, you can look forward to less and less small game and some small domestic pets.
Kill every Coyote you see, pups, adult all of them.
My daughter got her deer a week ago,,,only cost her a headlight !!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
A buddy had the same problem with a neighbor n atvs n dirt bikes. He called the cops set up meeting time n had a talk with the neighbor with the kids present. He said the neighbor wanted to get nasty but with the officer there kept quiet. 4 years later still no problems. Clincher was my buddy had his property well marked with no trespassing signs. Also had others just park n walk his woods or unload n ride horses. He always has his shotgun in hand when talking to them, just got n case.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have written permission to hunt on a friends property during the muzzleloader season only. He has other friends on during the hi powder season and he hunts the archery season. He's had Lyme disease an can't pull his bow string anymore so he allows certain people on his land and that keeps others out.

There are normally deer on the property but I haven't gotten one yet.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
talk about deer going nocturnal, that's the order of the woods now. The big timber companies have just closed their lands to costly permits only so the state lands are getting so crowded, the deer will not approach a clearing, road, or log-off in daytime hours. They hide in the brush tangles and only move when you almost step on their tail or after sundown. We moved a couple but the brush and reprod was so thick, they eluded us very easily.

Out county is being taken to court by the big timber because they are going to change their taxes. They are being taxes as forest land but since they are charging fees for access, the county is going to tax then for recreational lands.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
It's like that about anywhere,anymore. 15 years ago, I had a nice farm across the road from the National Forest and I could ride my horse from one end of the ridge to the other (a good 7-8 hour ride) and see deer, grouse, turkey and in the spring, the occasional bear... any humans I saw were also on horseback and respecting the deep woods. During hunting season, folks around there brought in lots of deer, plus the grouse, turkey, etc. I hiked there the other year, just to say hey to my old stomping grounds and it was almost like a Target or Wal-Mart on Black Friday. People running around and making noise, raising cane and generally making asses of themselves. I would no more try to hunt there now than I would lay on the northbound lane of I-81!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Back in the day me and my father saw a lot of deer and managed to take a few nice bucks. Now I'm limited to national forest along with all the other nimrods. Got several WMA's around but man their packed. Told my wife I'm going to start hunting tree rats and if a deer comes along that's just icing on the cake.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well I was toting the modern stuff for the first few days of gun season, partly because of all the rain we've been having, but finally got on one of the bucks I've been after!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Handsome buck!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Strange year here as well. I planted a small food plot down in the woods behind my house. I usually see deer in it during the day from my deck, this year I saw nothing except for the few I saw when the wheat and stuff had just come up months ago.

Lots of woods behind my house and no hunters. The deer used to be plentiful but have dwindled. I don't hunt anything but squirrels on my 4 acres, I live in the in the country.

Being a primitive minded guy I don't use trail cams on the farm in Tenn I hunt but bought one to put out on my place. I get a good number of deer pictures, all at night. I had my camera on my food plot for a week and had 72 pictures, about half had deer in the frame. There was not one daytime deer picture, this was during a rut phase. Strange........

Now, what deer wouldn't be overjoyed to feed through this scene. In the past I would see deer at any time of the day looking out my back window. The only deer I see now are the 3D archery targets I have out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eric Krewson,

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
nice buck Osprey! that first weekend here in east texas was nasty.the few days i have been able to hunt have not been productive.

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Osprey, that is a quality big buck and deserves a mount. I've managed to get out 3 times so far and have seen only one deer, but he was running in brushy cover and wouldn't stop for a shot.

If I had a nice yard like yours and I were a deer, I would stop by your house each evening and hand you my daily itinerary.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well I was out yesterday. I did see a doe but didn't get a shot at her. Oh well at least she was there...

I saw two opening day of the "early ML season". The first one I saw was the second one present...see I saw a doe at about 70 yards, moving toward me through some brush, going behind a tight knot of hardwoods, and (if she followed the path she was on) she would come out at a spot to the right of those trees. So I leveled my rifle to get a preliminary sight picture, prior to cocking my piece. The movement of my lowering my rifle from vertical to horizontal spooked a much larger doe, one I had not seen, she was only about ten yards to my right. When she bolted, the other one that I had seen did too.... Frowner

Yesterday, I did see lots of squirrels, but I think that's a plot by them to tease me, for I always see lots of them when deer hunting, but never when I go out to harvest them, even if the deer season closes on a Saturday and I go for squirrels on the following Monday.

It's like they know......

Yesterday I did see a Kestrel [sparrow hawk] take out a small bird, in flight. I'd seen it only a few minutes before, circling overhead, and I thought "Wow that's a tiny little hawk". Then about 5 minutes latter I heard this hhhsssssss noise overhead, coming close, and looked up in time to see a tiny finch get hit in flight by the same hawk. The noise was the air over the hawk's wings. Amazing. I had to look up the hawk online, and found it was a Kestrel. Very cool.

My hunting area has lots of deer trails and sign, but I can't figure out if they are bedding down there, or simply crossing through. In the past where I hunt has been a bedding area.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Dave I haven't seen a Sparrow Hawk in years. Used to see them all the time sitting on power lines n such. Guess all the poisons spread on fields to rid of grass hoppers n such has taken its toll. Among many other things, loved watching them hover n drop onto their prey like mice n hoppers n such. Kinda miss em

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I went Tn yesterday evening, one of those evenings we all dream about, almost.

This land is straight up and down, tall ridges and deep hollows. a buck came off the ridge chasing a doe about 45 minutes before dark and ran her grunting and bawling just out of sight right until almost dark.

I blew a grunt call a few times when I couldn't hear any action.

About 5 minutes before dark here he came, he was a 2 year old 7 or 8 point, nice rack. He stepped up on a logging road in front of my log blind at about 35 yards, it looked like a perfectly clear shot, BOOM.

He ran up the hill to about 75 yards and stopped looking around, I kept waiting for him to fall but he didn't. I looked him over with my binos and couldn't find a hole.

I decided to reload and shoot him "again". He heard me reloading my flinter and started walking toward me rubbernecking as he came in.

He stopped facing me at about 50 yards, I put the sight just above his brisket and touched it off. He ran up to the top of the ridge, I could hear him walking around in the leaves, I kept waiting for him to roll down the hill. It was getting dark about this time so I turned on my flashlight to pick up what I had dropped from my possible bag.

When I turned the light on he saw it and ran off snorting over the ridge, he snorted at least 10 times.

I followed his travel path, no blood at all.

I went back at daylight this morning and gave the area a through search and found no blood or dead deer. I guess I missed.

When I looked where I took the first shot I saw a tangle of saplings and vines that were invisible in the fading light, the second shot was clear for the most part but he was looking at me. I suspect he jumped the string.

That is the second shot at bucks I have taken in the last few weeks that were looking at me when I shot, both got out of the way before my gun went off.

I understand a deer can react in .02 seconds, my flinter probably went off in .04 seconds.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ouch....Better luck next time.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post