Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Ethics
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted
Dennis Neely had what I thought was a really good post on his blog this morning. Throwing this out for y'all.

http://traditionalblackpowderh...-seemed-second-best/

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Very good article,valid points made. Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
An excellent article.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was one of the folks who replied to the thread that is mentioned in the article, a thread on a Facebook page. I was one who thought that although one could "eat the evidence" it was still wrong to take game out of season...

However, I disagree with the linked article's assessment...

quote:
In my opinion, first, the question never should have been raised for discussion, and second, there is no room for this lawless attitude in living history or traditional black powder hunting.

Obviously, since there were some who thought that it was fine, or since it wasn't a deer it was fine, the question did need to be raised.
BUT perhaps the author meant such an idea should not have entered anybody's mind...
Further, I'm not sure there was a "lawless" attitude present, though I pointed out that such activity was probably a slippery slope. "Lawless" suggests the folks will do anything, and I don't think it was nearly as harsh as that... I think the thread poster wanted to see the reactions from the community, and got an earful.

The above article makes a most excellent point...what example are we setting for those who are new to the game?

I was taught that "hunter ethics" were how you behave when nobody can see you and will never know your actions.... Wink

LD

P.S.
Plus I tend to be spiritual about the hunt...if I abuse the animals then I believe less or none will be sent my way in the future...just my personal belief system...not trying to offend anybody...

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S.
Plus I tend to be spiritual about the hunt...if I abuse the animals then I believe less or none will be sent my way in the future...just my personal belief system...not trying to offend anybody...

I tend to think along those same lines. Smiler

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
An ethical person will strive to do the right thing regardless of circumstance. Wrong is always wrong. A man who would steal game will also steal anything else that becomes convenient.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Ethics and Law can be two different things. Ethics are personal beliefs usually originating from our upbringing, laws are established by society to control the behaviour of society (in our world). My ethics may vary significantly from your ethics and thats why it is such a slippery slope, and also why there is a need for law.
Personally, I strive to always do the right things according to my ethics and beliefs while never going outside the confines of law, unless such law is unjust. At that point my ethics mandate civil disobedience.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Game laws have to be followed if we are to continue to have populations of animals to hunt. Poachers hurt us all, and their rationalizations are BS.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
This is an excellent subject to be brought up for discussion.Every hunter,at some point,is going to have to answer that question for him/her self.The answer has meaning only to him/her self.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Johnny Reb
posted Hide Post
Great Article TC. Thanks for sharing

"All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for People of good conscious to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 110 | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoundrel:
Game laws have to be followed if we are to continue to have populations of animals to hunt. Poachers hurt us all, and their rationalizations are BS.

I couldn't agree more with that statement. I was always taught that there are hunting rules and regulations and then there is hunting ethics and if you do not know the difference then don't hunt.

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The interesting part of the question though, and I wish he'd limited it to gray squirrels... is they are a "gray area" (pardon the pun) all their own. For example, in my state they are "forest game"...6 per day, and 12 in possession, so if you have twelve cleaned and frozen in the freezer...you have to eat some of them before you go hunt them again.

OK but what about when they nest in your attic or the eaves of your home? They are a game animal...but there is no penalty if you dispose of them when they are a pest...they are just as "wild" in the woods as in your attic...live trap them and take them to the woods and they will survive. The law draws the line at the harvest of the game animal, no difference if you're going to eat the critter or not...so is it poaching to take a squirrel out of season that you deem is a pest? Racoons in your garbage cans, what about them? Why doesn't the exterminator need a hunting license for either?

Just hypotheticals...good to strike up a conversation...I don't mess with the critters in my yard, but a very odd classification of animals for sure...dual status depending on the situation....

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Crawdad
posted Hide Post
I would have to say a 'pest' is a 'pest' I do a lot of groundhog hunting and farmers absolutely hate those things for what they do to their fields and, more importantly, their animals.
One farmer banned all modern hunting on his farm when a guy overshot his intended target, a deer, and hit one of his horses. He always says, "At least you guys with those "things" (muzzleloaders) hit what your aiming at." Smiler

Posts: 678 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Was out hunting squirrels with my grandson and seen one going into a nest my grandson ask why not shoot into the nest I explained to him that was his safe haven and wasn't right long story short he understood my explanation.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Your G'son is being raised right....Here's a good one,in our area the WESTERN gray squirrel is not presently in season,but the EASTERN gray squirrel is open all the time,kinda hard to tell the difference so be careful.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Some of the game laws in my state just about require you to be a *#&# house lawyer to interpret them! Hunting and fishing included. I get the rule manual as early as I can and try and study up on all of the changes from one year to the next. I sometimes feel like the rules are getting more complicated just to catch good people misinterpreting these changes.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What I find amazing about laws is that it took God just 10 of them to show us how to lead a decent life.Government entities keep making more and more laws, and they still can't get it right. The best they can do is add to the confusion. I don't preach to others about obeying the law, because I don't pay much attention to them myself. "I don't need no stinkin law to tell me right from wrong".

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Bud, to me that is the very essence of being "ethical". You already know what is right and what is wrong in your gut or your heart or however you would care to term it.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have to say a 'pest' is a 'pest' I do a lot of groundhog hunting and farmers absolutely hate those things for what they do to their fields and, more importantly, their animals. One farmer banned all modern hunting on his farm when a guy overshot his intended target, a deer, and hit one of his horses. He always says, "At least you guys with those "things" (muzzleloaders) hit what your aiming at

Ah but all agree and there is no "closed" season on groundhogs...and I don't eat them...I rate them with rats...the squirrel however, is a noble quarry and tasty too.

As for hitting what you aim at with a BP rifle...the last buck I took had a barn behind him 80 yards away, and he was 60 yards from me when I fired...bullet went through him and hit the barn...so when I was done with him, I was patching the hole I made in the barn... I didn't think my bullet would've had enough umph to do that... Eeker

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dave most of us don't reaiize the power of our firearms. How about Billy Dixon's famous shot, and that was with black powder. I am sure you are not the only one who has done this. Thank you for patching the barn. It reflects on all of us.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post