New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes & Deer
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
My neighbor reports that she was working at one end of her pasture a couple of days ago, when she saw a small fawn run out into the other end of the field. It was chased by a coyote, followed by the fawn's mother. A few paces into the field the coyote caught the fawn and took it down. The doe caught up then and chased off the coyote, but it was too late. The fawn was dead.
My neighbor's two grandsons staked out that dead fawn in hopes of getting a shot at the coyote when it returned. However, it didn't come back in the daylight.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I kill a few coyotes around here every spring just to help out the deer. It's kind of an annual maintenance thing.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I use to see them all the time back in Georgia. They were a common sight during hunting season and out in the fields all year long. I only shot one because their appearance was usually sudden and it took a moment to be sure they weren't someone's dog. In other words when you're concentrating on deer your mind has to reset when you see other game. Bobcats always came in slow and could be studied but coyotes just kinda barged in and out of vision in seconds. I don't hate coyotes but wouldn't hesitate to shoot one. Their fur in winter is rather luxurious.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
There are counties in Central Texas that have many ranches raising sheep and goats. most of those counties have a bounty on yodel dogs. The ranch I hunt on is not in a bounty county but the ranch manager encourages shooting the "calf killing SOBs".

I have seen trail cam photos of coyotes taking down healthy bucks. Now I will shoot a coyote even if it means not getting a deer that day. 2 last year and more coming.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Rocklock,my attitude is gonna change,I think.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Coyotes are vermin. I have killed several over the years. I also will shoot free running dogs.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I never hesitate to shoot dogs running loose,if they're not under human supervision,they're a danger to everyone.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a dog will slip a collar or get out of a pen, no fault of the owner and no fault of the dog . It's against the law to shoot a dog here in Michigan so those that do are worse violators than the dog.

Coyotes on the other hand should be shot on sight.

I took this one while bowhunting for deer.

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I've heard all the arguments on both sides of that argument.However,I've also lost livestock to a neighbors pet dog that wasn't under supervision and "wouldn't hurt a hair on your animals head".Dogs,left to themselves,are predators,without the instinctive controls of the wild species.It's a debate that hasn't been resolved,and emotions just muddy the waters.I have,and probably will,judge according to behaviour,ie.if someones' "Fifi" is tearing out my sheeps throat,I will respond appropriately.On the other hand,I love dogs,and strongly believe they are true symbionts of humans. Confused policy? Oh yeah.....

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Where I live killing a dog is a serious crime and you better have a good story and a really good lawyer.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Personally I'm a beagle guy. Over the years I have have been blessed to have had several of these smart, gentle, loving little hounds. My dog lives with me in the house, sleeps in my bedroom and is a great companion. They are wonderful little hunters and fill my winter days with some great cottontail hunting. When we're hunting my dog will range out ahead of me on the track of a rabbit...

There are some people that think every dog running in the woods without a master close by is probably running deer and will shoot the dog without giving it the benefit of a doubt.

I've been very fortunate that my dog and I have never ran into one of these idiots while we were hunting. If we had and they had shot my dog?...the consequences would be dire indeed Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NWTF Longhunter,

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Longhunter.
Some states make it a crime to shoot a dog, other states do not.
Its one thing if I actually see a dog or dogs pulling down a deer, or a calf, and quite another thing to see a dog just running through the woods.
My dogs are as much a part of my family as my kids or my brother. One time in a city park I encountered an ignorant officer who stated to me: "Its a good thing you have that dog on a leash, otherwise I would shoot it". Yes, he actually said that! My response to him was; "Hurt my dog and I'll do some serious hurt on you."

Anyway;
My neighbor says that she soaked some pieces of sponge in chicken blood and guts and put them out in various places around her farm. According to her a dog would chew and lick on the bait, but not swallow it. A coyote will eat it and the sponge will then cause blockage and eventually kill the animal.
I have serious doubts about her theory that a dog won't eat such a thing. But besides that, I think the sponge idea is an awful death to inflict on anything! Trap the coyotes or try to shoot them in quick one shot kills, but don't torture them!

What do ya'll think of that?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If my dog is running unattended,, that is my fault,you come address that to me.. or we will have a problem..
as for Coyotes got no use for them,one ate Jake,,however they do not deserve to be tortured to death,starvation, do it right or leave them alone..
I have more issues with slob hunters and kids running wild than dogs or coyotes..

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do ya'll think of that?

I agree 100%

I knew a man for 20+ years and we were on very friendly terms. One day he told me he will shoot any dog he sees running loose in the woods. His reasoning, "they have no business running loose and they're probably running deer" He wouldn't change his mind even when I told him it was against the law.

Needless to say we are NOT on friendly terms anymore.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I would not harm a dog just for being around, but I would shoot one for running deer on my place. If someone has a trail hound who is running deer, that is the hunters problem to correct and he deserves the right to do so without someone shooting the dog before he has a chance. On the other hand, I have seen livestock killed or damaged by dogs too many times to have any respect for people who willingly let their dogs run around the countryside. It is against the law here, and if a dog is running loose (not as a hunting dog under your control) it is the owners fault, as is what ever might happen to the dog or whatever damage the dog might cause. Different states, different laws.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I shot a dog running right on a does tail many years ago in another state; I still feel badly about that to this day. But that's probably the only way I'd ever do it again, excepting feral/dangerous dogs (I've run into them on several occasions and a retired couple near where I lived in Ga were killed by a feral dog pack). I've scared off a couple with shots, too.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I think much of my problem with dogs is tha I grew up farming in an area where there was a serious problem with dogs that were,at least nominally,domestic pets.City folk would move out to the country and promptly turn their dogs loose to run.when people were present,they acted the part of faithful pets,but they had been taught by their owners that it was ok to do whatever their instincts told them to do when away from humans' company.We farmer types very quickly became familiar with the resident problem dogs,and after getting absolutely no cooperation from the owners,several dogs "disappeared".the LEO's were called,and City Folk were told that laws were on the books that provided for triple indemnity for dog damage to livestock,and to keep their dogs home if they wanted to keep them safe....Admittedly this is very much a one-sided view,I have no experience with hunting dogs running game under a hunters direction,but I can't imagine that bothering me.My statement about "dogs running loose" was intended to reference the above circumstances.As a matter for discussion,my State has a law against dogs harassing wildlife that I have been told means that my dog is not allowed to chase squirrels out of the bird feeders.Quite a difference from states that protect dogs,no matter what,eh?

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I had dogs all my life and big dogs at that. I haven't owned a dog under 40 pounds and most of them have been over 80 pounds. I live on a farm and all of them have been around chickens, goats, sheep, etc. My point is I have trained them well to not touch stock. I take my dog in the woods and he is not on leash but he always stays within eye sight and loops back to me regularly. I trained him to do so. I would get right mean if anybody ever shot my dog.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
In our county the law has always been you could shoot any dog running a deer. Most people in my little area know their neighbors and get at least one warning, but if you can't keep your dog on your own property, well, odd things happen. I solved problems with one neighbor who wouldn't keep his dogs up by taking them to the Sherrif, cost him $100 a dog to get them back and funny enough, they now have a kennel. Smiler I've had dogs all my life and never had one run loose, they're with me or in the house or kennel. Shame it happens, but you can't shoot the stupid owners who let their animals run and laugh it off by saying "oh, they're just being dogs", so what ya gonna do?

As for the sponges, they will kill any canine. All canines pretty much swallow their food. The sponges work great on yotes, foxes and stray dogs. I have no pity on any of them, ever watch what they do to a deer, fawn or rabbit? I knew a guy out west who could clean every yote off a ten thousand acre ranch with sponges in two weeks, **** effective. And to anything else they are no issue, not even coons or possums (they chew up the sponges and the tiny pieces pass through).

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Just one more comment from me about deer and dogs.

There are still a few states that allow deer hunting with dogs. Most, if not all of them, are southern states where the dogs are used to flush the deer out of thick swamps.

Here in Tenasi dogs are often used to run black bear and wild pigs. I've encountered hounds many, many times far back in the mountains with no one else anywhere around. Sometimes the dogs are baying on the trail. Other times they have lost or given up the track and are trying to find their way back out of the woods.
Several times I've had lost hounds join up with me for a couple of hours or all day, until I led them back out to the road.

In some other states I know that coyotes are sometimes hunted with the use of hounds.

I still think sponges or any poison is awful and I will not use or condone such treatment. Trap them or shoot them.