New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard to see the sights
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
OK fellas, its time to face facts. I have now turned 44, and in 2 years time I went from no glasses to progressive (nice way of saying bifocals)lenses. My rifle which has been the leanest meanest deer killing machine known to mankind has a very fine silver blade front sight. I have noticed that except during bright noon sun I cant see it anymore!!! Since most of the deer I have killed have been at first or last light this is a problem. What do you...uhhh elder shooters do for better sights? I WILL NOT put fiber optics on a traditional gun!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Options to explore are: Replacing sights, front and rear, with some that are not so 'fine' (i.e. taller, broader); or leave sights as they are but go to eye doc with the rifle and see if he can write you a prescription for hunting glasses optically tailored to the distances between your eye and rear/front sights; or try a pair of over the counter reading or computer glasses (probably somewhere between 0.75 and 1.00 diopter); or hunt only visually impaired deer who move between 11AM and 1PM.

My eyes over the years (which are considerably more than a paltry 44) have gone from very nearsighted towards farsightedness. I've been using $25 reading glasses for the last 10 years and been able to see the sights pretty good. Have to change 'em out for a different strength every few years, but I can still see enough with them to shoot satisfactorily. What works for me and my eyes may not work for you at all, so good luck to your quest. SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
If I understand you, you are near-sighted? So you cannot focus on your front sight blade enough to make it clear, or it's so out of focus you cannot see it at all except in bright sunlight?

I know of several folks who have opted for "distance glasses" and then moved the rear sight forward for when they donned the glasses the front sight and the deer were in focus but the rear sight was a foggy blob. The same is true for folks who need reading glasses..., having the rear sight moved forward often helps. The old dovetail for the previous sight position is then fitted with a steel billet or if long enough, a brass billet with the owner's initial's engraved upon it.

Another option is to swap out the front sight blade to a thicker blade of steel, but that sometimes causes some "slop" in the sight picture. To make a thicker front sight post a bit more precise... some folks sight in the rifle very close to the proper elevation then taper the tip to a /\ shape. The thicker blade may also help you if you blacken it, though at low light this won't help, or perhaps some white nail polish may help you (though in the snow this sucks).

You may also simply need a rear, peep sight. Your eye age may simply need to reduce the incoming light, and a proper peep sight often works as a sort of lens, and a tang mounted peep sight might sharpen the image of the front sight while not requiring you to modify anything on your barrel. Peep sights tend to require a bit more light than you find at "first light" for you to use them, but you may find them a good solution.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
On most of my guns the rear notch is slightly wider than average; on one it's much wider. The front sights are average thickness but are painted with flat white paint. This works great in the woods where it's shady but offers no advantage in the sun. Still it works for me.

I have cataracts and will eventually have them fixed. Until then I'll postpone getting reading glasses as they won't do much good right now.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Been there, bought the "T' shirt too. See your eye doctor about glasses and then look into a peep sight.

My hunting muzzleloaders each have a 1/8" thick front sight. Its thick enough to see on those dark fall mornings while hunting under a thick canopy of evergreens.

Those two muzzleloaders also have peep sights. If you're interested, contact me at railrhode@aol.com and I can send you the plans. I don't like the large cumbersome peep sight that is available Lyman or Williams.

load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
My father, after denying his vision problems for so long, went to a thicker sight. He used a little white paint like Hanshi stated. It made a big difference he would say.

My right eye has begun to have trouble. I have had it checked many times, but they say it's becoming weaker than the left. I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps infantry and was a weapons instructor, so I am a little upset about the blurry vision in my dominant eye.
I am now trying to figure out something as I am having trouble seeing the front sight thru the rear.
I will be interested in trying some of these tips myself.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I use the white paint or some white tape.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
this is what I did ;,find a young person that needs someone to take them out hunting and let them fill your tags for you ,you will get more joy from their excitement than you can handle,off soap box.

plenty of time for sleep in the grave

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
While I don't know if you'd want it on a traditional muzzleloader I have used a bottle of fluorescent orange nail polish on the front sights of my guns for years. A bottle goes a long ways and it really stands out under a variety of conditions. Got the idea from the old orange inserts on S&W revolver front sights.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
you might also try blaze green paint.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
I put a dab of florescent orange on my front blade, makes a big difference.

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
Make your front site from a thin slice of bone or antler - the Brits used such sights on their big game rifles, especially for twilight hours while stalking big game. It shows up better in dim light than any type I've ever used
and I wear Trifocals....

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Woodsloper, I have had the same problem for years. I recently went to a wider front silver sight and I polished it up real shiney. I can see it much better. Also have used various colors of paint.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You contacted me off list but I need your snail mail address to send the information to you. Send it to my off list E-mail address.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
After hunting for yeas with open iron sights, the first option was to paint them white. This worked for a year or two but once the peep sights were mounted, all changed, for the better.

I still paint my 1/8" thick front sight white but the peep sight really saves my bacon.

My nephew's eyes are really bad so he has to keep his shots to 50 yds. He fell in love with the peep sight I had made and mounted on his rifle.

His eyes are as bad as my hearing. He's famous for asking, "Did you hear that?" My response is usually, "Hear what?". We both wear glasses but they only help so much.

Load fast and aim slow.

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Like Todd my right eye is going south on me too. I bought a BB gun and started shooting in the back yard till I was comfortable enough to buy my fowler kit in a left hand. Don't think I'll be taking any running shots any time soon but it's coming along OK. I guess everyone has their limits but I think before I'd lay down my flinter I might even tie on a laser. Eeker

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
One thing that helps me with my rifles and pistol is to file about a 45 degree slant on the back of my front sight blade. Just about 1/16th inch right at the top. That seems to make a bright spot. Also I like a wider notch in my rear sight. My biggest problem is with my northwest gun. Referencing the sight to the back of the receiver is difficult for me as the receiver is so close to my eye.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I recently made a perc. carbine with 20 in. bll. It was equipped with open sights, and with my 60+ year old eyes, I couldn't see the rear sight clear....I removed the sights, and installed a tru-glo shotgun sight on the front, and after a little fine tuning cutting the butt down, it now shoots like a shotgun, accurate to 75 yards, with most all of my shots on moving deer at 25-40 yds., I am extremely happy with this lightwt. rifle......Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brian98:
Like Todd my right eye is going south on me too. I bought a BB gun and started shooting in the back yard till I was comfortable enough to buy my fowler kit in a left hand. Don't think I'll be taking any running shots any time soon but it's coming along OK. I guess everyone has their limits but I think before I'd lay down my flinter I might even tie on a laser. Eeker
laser .>>IS THAT ONE OF THOSE NEW FANGLED CUTTING KNIVES?

plenty of time for sleep in the grave

Posts: 105 | Location: northern vermont | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
You don't watch Star Track do you? Roll Eyes

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post