Find
Notify
Tools

Guns for Game This Season
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted
I thought I'd drum up a little action on the forum and, at the same time, get an idea what rifles/guns/mortars/etc, that our group plan to take their large, small and varmint "game" with this season. Photos are requested, please, if possible. Thanks.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fraid the fire has died out..I knew last week end when I was cleaning the rifles,under hammer,GPR, Kentuckian and lost interest,haven't even put all my junk on the bunk this year,no inventory,no trail cameras out,no bird hunting to pre scout,,Just isn't there this year. Might change ,if it does, the H/A Under Hammer in 45 is the rifle that will go on the woods walks with me.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have a .45 H&A underhammer I bought over 50 years ago that has taken bobcats, deer and squirrel. The tg/trigger spring/hammer spring is dead rendering the rifle inoperable. I will start off with my .50 flintlock first and use my .45 flintlock as a "backup". Third in line is my .62 smoothbore which has already taken deer with ball.

Small game; that will be a job for the .36 SMR with a similar .32 in reserve.

I hate that your enthusiasm, Walking Crow, has declined and I hope it comes back for you. I have the desire but also have physical/health issues that solely dictate what I can and can't do. For the past three years these issues have limited my excursions into the bush to only 2-3 times each year.
[url][/IMG]

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
All I know for sure is I've only got one and a half more weeks of work and then I'm done until April and I'll be HUNTING!!!!! Too many choices on guns and game, but I'll use as many as I can. First big MZ hunts will be the 3 day Maryland season for whitetail and sika, probably my first build, a .45 that I don't mind taking into the salt marshes, for sika in the mornings and either the .54 or .58 for whitetails at home in the evenings.

Three day bonus MZ season at the nearby NWR the following 3 day weekend, more sika and whitetail.

Still looking at details and nothing confirmed yet, but thinking about western Nebraska MZ season in December for mule deer. Still google/satellite scouting and crunching $ numbers...would be the .58 P Berry for that hunt.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That's the spirit, Osprey. It is a difficult decision determining which gun to use. I have 5 deer rifles/guns that qualify. I'll be after whitetails in WV about the 10th or 11th of Nov. Then I'll go after - as much as I am able - whitetails here in Va. Hunting has always been such a passion of mine that if I have to quit, it will be a terrible letdown. I have to hunt something, doesn't matter what. Squirrels even satisfy my urge. Good luck!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Speaking of squirrels;has anyone here ever eaten a Ground Squirrel?....I've always been told that they are so loaded down with parasites that they are inedible....Any comments?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
That would likely be true here in Ol' México. Around my property we only have ground squirrels.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
On ground squirrels; I shot one years ago in Arizona. As I approached I could see the fleas jumping off it. It was loaded with the little beasties. I backed off and did not touch it.

"blue funk"; a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity.
I've been in a blue funk for quite some time - just the "despondent lack of activity" part. I keep wasting time by making lists of all the things that I need to do or want to do, but then I do nothing. Summer has passed and I have accomplished practically nothing that I had wanted to do. I have not yet even checked the sights on my rifles for this year's hunting season.

Maybe its the heat. I can't get interesting in hunting, or much of anything else when it is 90*F + and the humidity is so high that I can't walk around my yard without breaking into a sweat.
I hope the arrival of cooler weather will stoke up my metabolism.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Leaves are turning colors but it was 85 degrees yesterday and today going down to low 80's Turkeys everywhere you look but to hot to set any lenght of time. Might get better,working on some horns and "learning"??? to checker stocks.

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
My Hawken copy in .54 is my go to rifle ... so it always gets a work out in hunting season.
I also shoot a Belgium made ( circa 1900 ) flintlock fowler in 20 gauge for grouse and other small game.
My Royland Southgate rifle in .38 caliber gets used a bit during hunting season as well.
These are my three favorites for hunting and all around shooting.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, even though the temperature hit 91*F here, yesterday I finally did get out back to check the sights on two of my guns.

My homemade .50 percussion southern mountain longrifle, and my Caywood .62 flintlock smoothbore Chief's grade trade gun are ready to go.

Interesting; my .50 longrifle weighs about 9 lbs. while my .62 fowler weighs about 6 lbs. I generally use a hunting charge of 70 grs. of 3F in both guns. The felt recoil in the light fowler is noticeably more than with the heavier rifle.

Right now I'm leaning toward the idea of just sticking with the flintlock fusil throughout the whole season, but I might change my mind later.

Some family members and I were successful in getting drawn for a late November deer hunt on a military facility here in Tenasi. I have never been there, but my son-in-law reports that the area has a high number of deer.

The weather is supposed to begin cooling off this weekend. My enthusiasm is improving!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, I also deer hunt with my .62 flintlock fowler. It has a rear sight so I can shoot it just like a rifle. A friend mainly hunts with a similar gun instead of a flint rifle. I haven't hunted with a modern gun for many years, now. As long as a deer isn't too far past 50-60 yards, he's mine.

Zip/GZ archivePICT0586_zps3eb41df4.jpg.html.zip (25 Kb, 88 downloads) hunting

Booshway
posted Hide Post
My fusil does not have a rear sight. I line the front sight up with the slot in the tang screw. I was able to put five shots in a five inch circle at 40 yards with it while shooting offhand. I think I'll be okay with it out to about 50 yards.

Even with my .50 rifle I keep all my shots at big game under 75 yards. In the thick forest where I usually hunt, 75 yards is a long shot. In the past I have taken deer as close as 10 yards.

I still use a modern shotgun for small game. I like my SxS and O/U doubles. But I, too, have not gone after big game with a modern rifle since the late 1990s.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
weather changing 36 this AM, skein of geese(31)heading South,

Factor
posted Hide Post
Well I've broken-out the Ol' .54 New Englander for my 17 year old. He suddenly wants to harvest deer this year. He took Hunter Safety 4 years ago, and not a peep since, until a week or so ago. He will have to put in some range time too. Wink

My trade gun is ready to go, and I'm fixing up my used Pedersoli Trade gun as well. I swapped out the steel trigger guard for a brass one...I didn't like the blued, quasi-NW Trade Gun guard. I took off the incorrect serpent side plate..., and I will replace it with a brass side plate. Not sure if I will redo the steel butt plate. I should....

The incorrect serpent sideplate will go into my scrap brass bag for melting and recasting at the local farm museum's annual show. I plan to make a polymer-resin form for a rounded Bess sideplate that fits a Bess. The only question is which Bess the Pedersoli OR the Jap? Maybe two forms so a couple of each? The Rifle Shoppe has rounded side plates that need lots of work for the Navy Arms Bess, which I think was the Miroku/Jap Bess, and I'm looking to convert a few Pedersoli 2nd Models to look more like modified 1st Model Bess muskets. IF I get ambitious, I may make a form to produce a Pedersoli butt plate with extended comb to go one step further with the SLP to LLP conversion appearance.

Basically the idea is to get the SLP to look a bit more like an LLP that has had the barrel shortened to 42"..., OK so the lock is still wrong, but one cannot have everything (short of a custom gun)

My .54 rifle is ready to go for deer the third weekend in October!

I have laid hands on a full choke 20 gauge, Belgium made barrel. I hope to put it into a turkey gun but that may be for Spring Turkey next year.

The son of my hunting buddy is ailing, and I got the turkey barrel from him by trading him a 1980's vintage, factory made "long rifle" that I scrounged..., but it's in .44 NOT .45 so I will be casting some .433 round ball for him and we will be working on getting that to shoot right, also for the third weekend in October.

Other than that a reenactor buddy of mine gave me a "bess" to restore for him. Well...sort of. he gave me a stock with a barrel and 95% of the hardware, but no lock nor lock screws and the trigger is boogered too. He rescued it from some drama club somewhere, and some fool removed (and lost) the lock because they thought "it's a gun so it's bad". So he traded them a "prop" bess for the parts from the Jap Bess. He wants to see if I can get it back into shooting condition, and IF the barrel isn't roached-out, I should be able to get it done by December's BP season. I've found all the hardware I need...replacement lock etc. It will run him less than $400 for the parts and the stock refinishing (I will do the work for the fun and experience). Not bad and even if the barrel is only good for blanks, it's still a good deal on a used Bess. I scrounged a bayonet too, and if it fits it will cost him a bit more but still less than what a bess with bayonet go for.

Yeah...., I'm busy....

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Geez LD, you sure you're going to have TIME to go hunting with all that?!?!?

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Looks like ML season starts here on the 4th of Nov. and I hope to make that. Will be going to WV on the 10th for a weekend hunt. If I don't get a good buck this season I'll know that in a former life I must have been a lawyer.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Here in Michigan, the regular deer season starts Nov.15. I plan to start with a 45 cal. flintlock rifle that I just finished building this past summer.

It has a 42" Green Mountain barrel and an L&R Bailes lock with a full length walnut stock.

I probably spent more time finicking with the single trigger to sear engagement than many other parts of this build, but I have the light release JUST right!!

She's all sighted in now and waits patiently for the big day to finally get here!

I was lucky to draw a doe tag for myself and one for my wife this season, so being a meat hunter with a bunch of doe's running around my place..........Venison for Thanksgiving should be on the menu!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geez LD, you sure you're going to have TIME to go hunting with all that?!?!?

Yeah, I finished scrounging the parts for the Guy's Bess this week. GOT LUCKY (so did he). Not much really "cosmetic" to do..., just strip the stock (piece of cake) then stain and finish. It takes takes calendar time for the boiled linseed oil coats to dry but not any actual real time.

the Turkey barrel won't see any action until the end of January.

The Pedersoli trade gun is basically done..., just waiting on some proper screws from Track of the Wolf.

Just waiting on the kid to feel good enough to come over to the range and we will work up a load for his rifle...

So the only "time consuming" part is making the forms for the casting in time to take it to the interactive show where they let you cast something, and they will let me cast stuff if I bring a bunch of scrap brass which I've been saving up now for about two years.

I love rummage sales.....

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Weather sure has changed, in the 80's last week this AM 29 and a frost.Now this feels more like setting in a blind,on the sunny side of a tree.Raining Maple leaves and beech nuts,good apple year so they are adding to the mix.Time will tell,last year it was to cold to go hunting, 25 below zero and a North wind was just beyond me.Got Mjolnir all ready,might have tracking snow by seasons start, end of October.