New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting wild pig
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
ok guy`s how many of you injoy hunting wild pig and if so what`s your favorite cal. gun to do so?

Posts: 196 | Location: kenai peninsula alaska | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have taken wild pig with my .50 percussion long rifle using 70 grs. of 3F under a patched round ball.

Here in Tennessee feral pigs can be taken during any bear or deer hunt. Most successful hunters use hounds. Baiting is not allowed. Since I don't have a hunting dog, my method of hunting hogs is similar to the way I hunt deer. I find a good trail or other area used by the pigs and set up a blind.

Several years ago I took a hog weighing in at near 250 lbs., field dressed. I made the mistake of dragging it out from near a mile back in the woods, much of it uphill. Never again!
Now, I go for smaller pigs, and I pack them out in half or quarters.

Wild pork is absolutely delicious!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I've not actually had a shot, but been on feral hog hunts... the other fellows were using a .54 as was I. I prefer 70 grains of 3Fg and a .530 patched round all, the other guys...one liked my load and the other preferred 90 grains of 3Fg. The guy with the 90 grains took the hog. (Most of Maryland you can't use a high powered rifle, so often folks opt for ML's to get more range than a shotgun slug)

They are pretty smart animals. Came in to feast at a cattle feeder.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Recurve.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
hey guy`s thanks for the input, might be relocateing soon to lower 48, and was give ing some thought to maybe trying for some wild pig, and was looking for some idea on gun cal. etc.

Posts: 196 | Location: kenai peninsula alaska | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I've used my .50 flintlock on the ones that I have shot. Worked good for me. I'd say that if it works on a deer, then it should on a pig. Up to a point, of course. Most deer aren't 300 lbs. The pigs that I shot were 150-175 lb. range.

Posts: 155 | Location: michigan | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post