New
Find
Notify
Tools

.58 cal Grouse
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Several years ago I bought a 58 cal Cabelas Hawken with a pitted bore. It proved to be accurate at the range with a prb over 100gr FF Goex. Its been ignored with my other guns getting attention for a long time. I took it out the other day and had forgotten what a compact gun it is. It has a 21" barrel and is just under 37" in length. I took it out today and tried a 35gr charge of FF to see if it would be accurate enough for small game. Using a .570 ball and .018 patch it was dead on with that load at 25 yards so after some plinking I went to look for grouse. Only came across one but the ball clipped the neck just below the head. This little gun is a pleasure to carry in the woods. I might have to see if I can try it on something larger when deer season arrives.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Good job my friend!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've always liked short, handy guns. My shortest one is a .45 with a 25" barrel. It's easy to shoot as the barrel is a 15/16" straight with good weight. Accurate as all get-out, too.

Congratulations on that tiny target you hit to get the grouse; that's good shooting. That little rifle sure looks good.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post