MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    A fine morning in the squirrel woods.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A fine morning in the squirrel woods.
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
It was 24 when I left the house at 7 AM, cold but not to cold to go squirrel hunting. Naturally, I didn't see near as many squirrels as I did in deer season last week, but the little guys were out in enough numbers to make it fun. On my bucket list is to kill 6 squirrels with 6 shots out of my North Carolina rifle and I thought I was gonna make it this morning. But when I killed #4 they just vanished. Beats me. Seriously they were all pretty much gravy shots, I doubt if any of them were farther than 25 yards, most a lot less. Only the Good Lord knows how much I love squirrel hunting.
Tom Black
Cantucky

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Black,

Posts: 63 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good day. About any day would be a good day packing that rifle in the woods.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Looks like a fine supper there! Good shooting Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Good on ya Tom...a good hunt and a great photo!

And yes, squirrels seem to disappear mid morning and don't often come back out until late afternoon, at least around here.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of TurtleDave
posted Hide Post
fine job and a great photo

Member #277 Mo. State Rep. for the Traditional Muzzleloading Association
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Posts: 381 | Location: Butler, Missouri | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Nice job on the squirrels and nice rifle too!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Turtle Dave is in the House.
From the acorn capital of the world.
A Squirrel hunting master in his own right.

Squirrel hunting with a fine rifle is like owning the best reason in the world to spend a day in the woods.

That is a fine bunch of unlucky squirrels you have there Tom.

It would sure put a smile on a persons face to see you walking into camp with those in tow.

Pat Cameron

Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology
http://americanlonghunter.com

Posts: 71 | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Actually you did very well by getting four of those little guys. I didn't see squat the times I went out after them this year. They're thick as ticks around the house but in the woods they appear extinct.

Turtle Dave is my squirrel role model but it's a vertical climb to his level.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice doings.......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post