New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Muzzleloader Hunt
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
The first Traditional Muzzleloader Firearm Hunt in Montana starts Saturday, December 11, 2021 and runs through December 19, 2021.

If you have an unfilled General Hunt harvest tag for deer and/or elk and have a traditional flintlock, percussion, matchlock, of at least 45 caliber you can participate.

Orange torso cover is required (unfortunately for those of us that want to wear period clothing while hunting)and you can use minieball, or roundball, as long as it is lead. No sabots allowed, and no firearm mounted optics, open sights only!

Since I did not fill a tag for deer or elk in the general season, I will definitely be out hunting, just have to decide on which firearm to take......flinter or percussed!

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' in this falling snow, you powder dry!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good. That is how muzzleloading seasons were first meant to be.

I have been out aulternating for bear and deer with my .50 percussion longrifle, but all I have seen is one lone doe.
I have trail cam pictures of three nice bucks, but only at night.

What do you think of a .50 round ball for elk if the shot is kept within 75 yards or so?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The first day of the MT ML hunt started out fairly decent with 27f and overcast, but by noon snow started falling sideways. I did see 4 does at a distance, no bucks. I saw two bucks several days before the start of the hunt, a forky and a 3x3, and elected to keep looking for them rather than taking a doe.

This morning it is 37f and drizzling with melting snow on the ground. Went out anyway, got nothing but chills, so, will try again in the late afternoon before dusk.

Rancocas, that 50 would do fine on elk out to 100yds or so. Since elk are known to show up in the wooded area I'm hunting, I'm carrying a 45cal percussed rifle with 80gr ff with a 240gr minieball. Since any shot will be under 100yds, I do not feel under gunned.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted elk but tend to agree with your assessment.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear Montana finally has a MZ season. May be something to look into in coming years... Big Grin

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
So how did your sesason go? Get out any more?

I started looking at info for next year, man oh man Montana has some non-resident regs. Need two lawyers and a PhD to get all that sorted out! I used to bow hunt on the North Dakota side of the border a few years ago and may have to try a trip to eastern Montana for that season soon, mule deer should still be rutting a bit during that time and I can't imagine the pressure will be too great. Cold and windy by then though!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Osprey!

Been offline fer a spell, so didn't see your post til now. The Heritage Muzzleloader Season (that's what MT is calling it) was a bust this year due to the weather turning cold, wet with sleet and just plain miserable, not to mention that the critters just plum disappeared. The 2022 season regs came out last month and the hunt is listed in them.

In the 48 years I lived in Alaska, we had only 27 or 28 hunting districts for a state 5 times larger than MT. When I moved to MT I was so disappointed to find that FWP is into micromanaging. There are so many districts here it is mind boggling.

The standard joke here is that you need a mil-spec gps to make sure you are in the district you want to hunt and a lawyer with you to interprept the written regs.

Regards, xfpx

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I've seen comments from Montanans that they find the Alaska regs more confusing than their own
You beat me out by 20 years of living in Alaska, but I still have a booklet of hunting regs I can slip into a shirt pocket with room to spare. And that is for all the districts! It was also before ANCSA when Congress and the judiciary came up with new definitions of subsistence and everything went South. Now you need a lawyer in your back pocket to know what you can and cannot do....

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading a book about Heimo Korth in Alaska. It was published back in 2008, but toward the end it talks a bit about the changing regulations for subsistence hunting, trappers, and the oil lands of the north slope.
Didn't sound good! Now, from what you guys have said, I guess it hasn't been good.

Here in eastern Tennessee, we have had a wet spring. I've been out turkey hunting but have only seen one hen in the woods.
There are a half dozen hens and one tom that come into my back yard almost every day. They are safe here.

The annual Tennessee/Kentucky Long Rifle Show is coming up this Friday and Saturday in Knoxville. I will be there with my son-in-law and my grandson.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post