New
Find
Notify
Tools

MD Bear 2019
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Well the annual black bear tag draw for Maryland was yesterday. We had 7 people putting in for tags and two drew! I wasn't one of them, but I still get to go along on the hunt as a co-permittee. My buddy Pete and I will both be using flintlocks, and the other pair of hunters will have at least one with flint as well. Still ironing out plans on who's going where and all that, but Whoo-hoo, back to the mountains in late October!! Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good luck.
Are you permitted to bait for bear in Maryland?

No baiting is allowed here in Tennessee. However several years ago we had a freezer malfunction and lost a lot of meat. Just for giggles, I took it out a little each time and hung the pieces in a tree near the head of a ravine back in the mountains. Each morning the next day the meat was gone.

Almost all bear hunting here is done with hounds. I don't have a bear hound, but I walk around in the woods with high hopes of encountering a bear.

No special drawing here for residents for bear. My permanent senior citizen hunting permit covers everything; bear, deer, wild pig, turkey, small game, and fish. It is good for the rest of my life. I only need to purchase a permit if I apply for a special quota hunt - which I rarely do.

I had intended to go for dove this morning, and do some fishing later, however weather reports say this will be another day with temperatures in the upper 90's. I would be concerned with game meat and fish, as well as my own health out in this heat. So, I am staying home to work on several projects here today.

Hopefully, in another month or so the temperatures will be cooled down enough to do some serious hunting.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, the only thing thicker than the bear population here in Maine is ticks. The population is exploding and Maine already has the most bears in the east. Still not sure I'd want to shoot one; I mean what would I do with a dead bear? Deer are tough enough to drag for this kid.

I also have a lifetime license that covers fishing, deer, bear, turkey, small game and more. It makes being old a bit easier to handle. Let's see now. Moose (which I'll never hunt) and doe permit (lottery) are the only things I have to apply for.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
No, can't bait for bear in Maryland, can't even use scents! They did change it a bit a few years ago so that on private land you could still bait for deer during bear season, you and the bear would have to be at least 150 yards from deer corn piles to be legal.

We hunt public lands, so there's none of that allowed anyway. Trick here seems to be to find a corn field on adjacent private land and set up to catch the bears coming and going. That or a heavy producing white oak flat. I've killed bears 2 of the 3 times I've been out in the mountains hunting, hope the luck continues this year. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Osprey How do you get them out of the woods? I wouldn't attempt to try to drag some of the ones that come through my backyard.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We use one of those wheeled game carts, the one I have now is rated at 500lbs, which could be cutting it close. If the bear is too big or too far just hafta quarter it before we haul it out.

This is a new game cart, after the last bear hunt. On that one I shot a 354lb bear a few hundred yards from the road. We got her loaded on the cart, two of us, and made it just to the edge of the woods along the county road when the wheel snapped in half and fell off! Earlier that day we'd been hunting a mile and a half deep, across a ridge, glad it didn't happen there!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Years ago I shot a bear in Pennsylvania that dressed out about 250 pounds. My uncle and I had been slowly still hunting through a small creek valley when I spotted the bear.
A couple hundred yards beyond the other side of the creek was a dirt forest road. We decided to drag the bear through the creek to that road. Thinking the ink would wash off the bear tag, I removed it from the bear's ear and put it in my shirt pocket.
We each grabbed a front paw and plunged into the creek. That fat, rolly-polly bear was hard to hang onto and hard to drag. We made it through the creek and since we had some momentum up we kept going for another 50 or 75 yards.
We stopped to rest then, as a green pickup truck came down the road. The truck stopped and a game warden got out and walked over to us.
There we were, huffing and puffing, and soaking wet up to our waists. The warden wanted to see the tag. I took it out of my pocket. It was nice and dry, and I explained why it was not attached to the bear.
No matter to that game warden! I was fined $100. for moving the bear without a tag on it.
At least he didn't confiscate it.
If it hadn't been for the four hour drive from my home in NJ to get to that area of PA I would have contested the fine in court, but I didn't think it worth the time off work and the effort to drive that far.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We went up to the hunt area in western MD this past weekend and did some scouting. Felt great to get back out in Garrett County and hike some mountain country. Found some bear sign, a few likely looking hunting spots and had a good pre-hunt trip. Now we just have to wait for late October and the hunt...

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yesterday morning 28 degrees and calm,this morning 58 raining and the wind blowing out of the North.This afternoon weather guessed to be in the mid to upper 50's.Quiet and miserable.. Not one animal has touched any of the apples that fell are falling off 10 apple trees in my pasture.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well we all struck out this year. Frowner My buddy Pete and I never saw a bear and didn't see much sign hunting public land. The other group on private land had sign, tracks, scat, but never could cross paths with a bruin. Oh well, still a fun time in the mountains and we'll try again next year...

Booshway
posted Hide Post
You did not strike out,you just went for an Unwind woods walk.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lost interest !! rifle ready,all gear inventoried,load worked up,knife sharp,water proofed boots snacks packed and lost interest,Last Man standing!!!!! 2 Nov is when it starts ,no fire in the guts,,72 and lost interest, might have to take Mjolner for a woods walk, one more time.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Now, at 71, I too have a lagging interest. The mountains are higher and steeper than they once were. I continue to go out but I generally seek the easier route.

Family business had called me out of State causing me to miss the early seasons. I finally got into the woods for a day of bear and wild boar hunting last Tuesday. It was a gorgeous autumn day in the Southern Appalachians. I followed a game trail up a ridge, circled around and back down again. No fresh sign of anything!
I spent the afternoon fishing.

We've had much needed rain for the last two days now.

Have a happy, and safe, Halloween.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lots of great time spent in the woods and camp,looking back on them causes a smile,fewer to share them with as time creeps up on us,

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
At 73, and well on the way (I hope) to 74, I've slowed down a lot the past several years. Mostly due to medical problems but it's still a bit more complicated than that. The past few seasons have found me in the bush only around three times a season; I used to live in the woods.

Getting around isn't as easy as it used to be but that's still no big deal. What IS a big deal is the growing "ennui" I've been experiencing. The thought of jumping out of bed early, getting dressed and heading out in the dark no longer feels exciting as it once did. When it comes right down to it I can't say for sure what I'll do. The only likely location I've found to hunt is yet to be scouted out by me; and the season starts Saturday! All preparations have been made and there's nothing else I must do to be ready; I just feel tired.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You guys are depressing to listen to! We'll all be dead one day, get your rear in gear and get out there while you still can! Smiler

Booshway
posted Hide Post
You are right, Osprey.
It has been raining here for two days. Yesterday morning the rain stopped and the day brightened. I decided to go and walk out a gated forest road. I had gone a little more than a mile from the paved road when the rain returned with a vengeance. I put on my poncho and headed back down the mountain. On the way back to my truck I jumped a flock of 10 to 12 turkeys. I was surprised they were out in the pouring rain. I saw nothing else.
Yeah, I'm an old man and I have some problems, but overall I'm in pretty good shape considering my age. Probably better than most men my age. I no longer enjoy getting up well before dawn, and as I said; the mountains are higher and steeper than they used to be, but I'll keep going out there as long as I can because there is no place I would rather be than somewhere out in the woods.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Yep, now's the time to stay active. When you're dead you'll have the rest of your life to sleep in. Big Grin

Factor
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is profound.... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
This morning 24 degrees, the Rut peaks here 14 Nov+- I go out around 09 A.M.by then the early crew is bored/cold/hungry and become bush beaters to move the deer,then about 2 P/M I get ready, the Bush Beaters are coming back out for the evening hunt and move the deer again,Then while there is still some walking light left I head out to get warm,eat.Frost this A,M, might be just the motivation I need to get out there,with miles of Maine woods to hunt,in all directions.