Find
Notify
Tools

The Squirrel "Nut Vine"
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted
Every time I've gone out for deer this fall, I've been correctly concerned about getting trampled by squirrels. They've been everywhere with the (maybe) exception of being perched on top of my head.

Went out Tuesday morn - gorgeous day - and saw zilch! I believe there's a squirrel "nut vine" and news travels to the woods faster than I can get there. They know what I'm after, my gun's caliber, how long I intend to stay, etc. It's the only explanation I can think of.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
Them thar bushytails aren't too alful smart. Alls ya gotta do is talk about going out and doing some stump shoot'n when you are really going after them. They'll pass the word not to do any worry'n and you can nail 'em to your hearts content.

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Yep I know what you mean about limb bacon, I think wearing blaze orange, and maybe even setting in a tree stand might help you tag a few of them. they are all over you in blackpowder deer season. some times I think about giving up a few days of deer hunting just to fool the little critters.

Posts: 25 | Location: Cookson hills of Oklahoma | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You might have a point, olrangerb. Won't hurt to try. Big Grin

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Around here, the squirrels are starting to spawn. They're chasing each other up and down every tree in the woods. You can see a smallish female running across a field with 3-4-5-6- or more bigger male squirrels in hot pursuit. It's pretty comical to watch a female get waaayyy out on a tiny branch and have half dozen horny males fighting to get out there with her. She usually jumps ship and then the race is on again.

Of course, during this time, you can easily slip up on a crowd or squirrels and take a couple out. I once got 7 out of one tree when I used to hunt them with a bolt action 22. I don't take that many now, even if I could. I like fresh squirrel much better.

I do think you have a point though Hanshi. I swear game animals know when seasons open, what the shooting hours are and where the posted land is because when season starts, you don't see 'em anymore except after shooting hours or on posted land. I think they can read and they all have watches.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
If a man's good at sneaking through the woods he can catch 'em at it. Best job of stalking I ever did was creep up on a half dozen of 'em who had a copy of the Game and Fish Commission's Hunting Regulations. They were so absorbed that they didn't notice me peering over their shoulders. You guys are right! - they had a calender and were marking off the dates as compared to the other seasons. They pointed at the pages and chattered and chirrrred and flung their tails in circles. I'd swear that a couple of 'em giggled. Then I noticed that those were MY regs, and MY calender, and the ring leader was wearing MY spare glasses - all of which I'd left in my truck . . .

I thumb cocked ol' She Dog and had the whole gang dead to rights . . . if I hadn't fallen over a stump back'ards and fired 'er off into the air.

Do you reckon they planned that, too?

Scratchin'mychin'sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
They probably did, Fiddlesticks. They also put out decoys. Ever remember shooting a "squirrel" in the head over and over and it won't fall out of the tree? I do. they are masters in the use of bark and leaves.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sticks...you cracked me up...thanks. I wonder if that was really a stump you stumbled over or maybe a wiseguy squirrel. I guess we'll never know.

Hanshi, I did indeed have one of those 'knot head' squirrel give me the slip one time. I'd swear it was a squirrel looking around that oak tree at me. Only took one shot though, then I'm sure my face was as red as the squirrels' tails that were watching me. All I could do was look around and try to see who (what) snickered at me!!! I still look at that 'knot head' when I'm in the area.

Good hunting...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Haw! Hanshi, that's the only way I ever truly 'barked' a squirrel. Except for the times that I stung 'em more than killed 'em and they barked all the way up holler snags and into their dens.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post