MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    28ga Early Virginia took up the Dove challenge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

28ga Early Virginia took up the Dove challenge
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted
Made its debut on the dove field this morning and did just fine.
Since my last trip a week ago all the tobacco had been picked and the fields bush-hogged.
Completely changed their fly pattern, got very little action in the spot I’d used before but was able to put down 6, found 5.
So the dove hunting monkey is off my back with the 20ga & 28ga Flintlock smoothbores…they performed perfectly in every respect.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Way to go, rb.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Very good.
Sound like fun.

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roundball:
Made its debut on the dove field this morning and did just fine.
I'm pretty charged up about these couple of Dove hunts...other than a couple times I was able to call in a couple crows in years past, these Dove hunts were the first times I've actually gone wing-shooting after flying game.
Learning better, more eficient ways to handle wiping / reloading pretty quickly, made some load adjustments to try next time, etc.
Looking forward to going again in a few days after I finish some honey-do's

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Glad you got out for a good time. Love this time of year.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Thats gettin er done RB. Good shootin Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post