New
Find
Notify
Tools

Late MZ season!
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Our late MZ season in Maryland starts today - and it's actually cold enough to feel like hunting!! Well, for two days. Forties today and tomorrow, than back up to stinking 70 degrees by Christmas. So far this winter hasn't showed up...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
One cold night was enough, stacked two of them tonight! Had three young bucks come in early, a six, a big framed 3 and one I've been hoping to cull out, a year and a half old that only had 1" buttons. Watched him chase does all year, but never had him in a time and place I wanted to kill him until tonight. 20 yard shot, ran 50 more and crashed back in the woods. Best part is, under our state rules under 3" antlers count as antlerless, not a buck, so he filled one of my doe tags.

It was only 3:30, so reloaded and settled in for the evening. Had a doe and two fawns feed through a bit later, then almost at 5pm had a nice 8pt show up from the marsh. Not the monster that I watched in the summer, but big enough for me tonight. .54 roundball made short work of him. Both are hanging in the cold air tonight, will try to get some pics tomorrow...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!That sounded like a great hunt!

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, you did remarkably well.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of the 8 pt!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Allright!!That's a very nice looking buck by the standards of our blacktails around here...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Congrats on a great hunt and a good story.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice buck nice looking gun also

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Would you enlighten us a bit on your rifle?

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. And beautiful rifle. Our late muzzleloader season in Ohio is Jan. 9-12. The weather here is warm also, 60 today. Hope it cools down by Jan.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Would you enlighten us a bit on your rifle?

That's Becky, my #4 build, back in 2009, a JP Beck style, 44" Colerain C weight, .54, very dense piece of sugar maply from Dunlap I got at Dixon's fair, Chambers siler with a bronze lockplate. I've killed a lot of whitetails so far with that rifle, she's got some death magic in her.

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Osprey. Glad you finally got enough huntin' weather to get it done.
Beautiful rifle too!!!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood:
Nice buck. And beautiful rifle. Our late muzzleloader season in Ohio is Jan. 9-12. The weather here is warm also, 60 today. Hope it cools down by Jan.

I've been looking at those dates, still have my Ohio license from an unsuccesful bowhunt back in October. Hmmmm. If our late gun wasn't the 8-9th I'd already have reservations booked for a cabin, but supposed to have several buddies on the 9th for a big sika hunt/marsh drive.

Glad I got out and smoked 'em opening night, been back to warm and rain ever since. 70's and rain today for Christmas Eve. Thunder and lightning even this morning!!

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck and rifle Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I live in SC so to me, thats a fine deer. Beautiful rifle too.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
You should post that picture at your local gun shop that specializes in Saturday Night Specials (in-line rifles with scopes, cd, back scratcher,grill,leatherette stadium seat with fav college or pro team logo stenciled on, wifi with automatic games connection, and air conditioning). hehe

Very nice buck AND rifle!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MountainRanger,

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
No one has said it yet and it needs saying, "My God what a huge deer"!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Egad and hang me! What a large deer!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Huge, I mean. hehe

Sua Sponte