New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoked Turkey
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Howdy Folks! Killed this bird up in Iowa, spring of 2006, about a month after I had a heart attack at 42 yrs old! 2 stents and a pacemaker/defibrillator later, and I hit the woods with my 2 row Pedersoli 12 ga!
It was an afternoon hunt, when he came in with his girls to about 8 yds in the thick buck brush! Killed him at 13 steps on their way back out!!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hoping to kill one with my new 20ga smoothbore this spring!!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Hey Brad... I know what you're talking about on the heart attack. I had one Christmas Day 2015 and had 2 stints put in. None of the other fancy electronics yet (defib, cd player, etc). And good for you for getting out and not letting a little thing like a heart attack keep you down! I salute you

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I like smoked turkey.....Smiler
I waited till 49 for my HA.....Frowner

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Well,first off sir you must be an Immigrant,I have never seen those duds wore in these parts,as for the H/A's been through 3 ,stents 1st 2 times,then the zipper treatment, but we are a stout bunch,we just keep going.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I waited until 08 to have mine, 1 stent. I'll be 71 next month. The heart attack didn't slow me down , but the 5 discs in my back sure did. At your age you've plenty left in you. Keep enjoying yourself.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
I have taken my last turkey with a modern shotgun. If I don't have my NWTG finished by spring turkey I'll just have to wait until fall to go. Don't really have any desire to hunt with anything but traditional muzzleloaders any more.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a heart attack but a motorcycle crash in 2012 sure ruined my hunting for that year. Got life flighted to a Pittsburgh hospital and spent a week in their trauma unit, then was off work for two months doing physical therapy.

I did get a deer in 2012, just not the way I wanted to. And he came real close to getting me.

Firemanbrad glad your ok.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'm telling ya' guys; it's scary how even younger men are having HAs. I'm almost 69, now, and don't have high blood pressure (last measured at 107 over 64) nor have I ever had (knock on wood) an HA. A friend, who just turned 60, had one at some time in the past and didn't know it. Recently when he had a stress test and they found out; his doctors rushed him into OR for two stents.

The message is clear, friends; take care of yourselves and be a good patient. My problem is a wrecked superstructure and they won't do the "Wolverine infusion".

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Kopfjaeger,I prefer to describe my close encounter of the deer kind with my motorcycle as having survived an assassination attempt by deer ninjas.Almost a year ago,kinda screwed up my strong hand/wrist.Should be able to start shooting again fairly soon....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Boartooth,

One of the guys I worked with said he came around the bend and saw me, my bike, and the deer, all laying in the middle of the road. He said he thought I was dead because I wasn't moving. I got knocked out when I hit the road.

I told him when I got back to work, " I bet that was a sight to see ".

I've been riding street bikes since I was 16 years old ( I'm 56 now ). And before that I rode dirt bikes and never had a serious injury. Dang deer came out of the woods. I never seen it till it broad sided my bike.

You never know. The doctors ask me if I was still going to ride motorcycles. I told him " YEP "

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
kophjeager,
Good man!
Leon

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Good Shot!

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I have no memories of the accident,but it appears a deer jumped into me from the side of the road....Got my bell rung but good...My wife says I'm an ex-biker......Uhh,we'll see.....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Good bird Brad.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Got mine opening day (April 15th) high up in the mountain at the snow line.....I am still stoked....8" beard, 16lbs, 3/4" spurs, Rio ...Yep

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I tried smoking a turkey once. Couldn't get the darned thing stuffed into my pipe!

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Good one Sage Rider! I'd be stoked too! What is your weapon and load of choice for them birds?

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Morning TurkeyCreek...it was an awesome day indeed...long good story but got 'er done! I used a .62/20gauge smooth bore made by TVM that had been jugged choked. My load was 65grs. of FFG with the same volume for #5/6 shot mixed. The shot was at 34yrds and the "pine chicken" never moved after that. My first one with this weapon...at 3800ft in the Eagle Cap Wilderness...what a great day.....!!!!! AND I am still stoked.. signed...Turkeyfoot.

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post