MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Week and a half of Maryland flintlock bliss
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Week and a half of Maryland flintlock bliss
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You did well, Osprey, congratulations.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Final night report:

Warm, sunny and nearly calm winds. Sat a ground blind looking over my big clover plot, mainly becuase I was worried about swirling winds if I tried to get back along the woods edge. Saw a doe and two yearlings across the field, but that was it for the evening.

When I walked back to the house had an interesting encounter though. Had just let the dog out of the kennel and heard a commotion behind the chicken coop. Put the dog in the house, got a light and walked over there to look, and a buck was making a rub in the thicket by some trees, not 50 yards from the back door. He must have really been into it, becuase he never heard me, the dog, or stopped until I was ten yards away and put the light on him, then he took off out into the tall CRP grass. I think he flipped me the bird as he ran off just after the last minutes of the season had ended. Big Grin

Few days of antlerless MZ to start the week, may work on some whitetail does, then 3 days of fresh MZ tags at the NWR to end the week - back to sika in new spots. Weather front is supposed to come through Tuesday/Wednesday and really drop temps, so that could be very good.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'am paying it forward,my garden must have been perfect yesterday, cause last night deer ate everything above ground!Beets,parsley,Swiss chard,beans, peas, even Tomatoes,Season opens here Saturday 28 October.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Ahh yes, can see it now, sitting with a morning coffee in the upstairs room, screen out of the open window silently waiting for the buck to show. Then it happens, out steps Mr. Big and the rifle seems to become an extension of the body, sights aligned perfectly tight behind the front shoulders and BANG! The wife screaming “what in hell you think you’re doing??” as the room fills with pungent smoke and she is scrambling for the covers again. Ahh, life’s good!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It continues!!

Got out one night for the antlerless season, had two yearlings in range but passed, then a young 7pt of course running all over, but no big does seen that night. Figures.

Today starts the bonus hunt at Blackwater NWR, can still shoot antlered deer for three days there on separate bag limits. Hiked in this morning to a spot I found last spring while turkey hunting, got to where I wanted, no other hunters nearby, deer even worked just like I thought. Saw the black body of a stag coming through the thicket, got the flintlock up and cocked, all ready, it stepped out past the last young pine and - - - it was only a 4" spike. Lowered the gun and gave him a pass, for today at least. Also had a forky whitetail I could have shot while sneaking out later in the AM, but didn't want to drag him all the way back to the Jeep. Back down there tonight with the kayak, going deep to another new place to try...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... passing on meat and I can’t even find one to shoot. Guess we know who the better hunter is...
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I didn't do any passing last night Walkingeagle! Took the kayak and paddled about 3/4 mile up a tidal creek to a deep woods and marsh spot. Beautiful evening, nice cool wind, plenty of water (mud flats in the dark coming out are no fun!) and no other hunters in sight. Didn't hear any bugling, unless you count the hum of ten million skeeters at last light, but did have a nice hind/doe sneak out of the 8' tall phragmites reed behind me, in the wind she was already at ten feet before I heard or saw her. Even I can't miss at that range!

Had to take today to skin, butcher and catch up on some stuff around home, but going back tomorrow morning for the last try. Not sure I'm up for it, over an hour paddle to get where I want to go, but it's my best gamble for 'Ol Shaggy Stag.

Factor
posted Hide Post
That doe is sure going to taste good,Ill bet..Grats!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Last day today of the special NWR hunt and it got warm, so I only got out for the morning hunt. Didn't do the kayak long distance paddle, wind forecast picked up with a gale warning by mid-day, hiked in to where I passed a spike a few mornings ago. Still no other hunters near me, alhtough more trucks in the parking lot. Spot still panned out, had a hind/fawn pair coming to me through the bushes. At twenty yards they still weren't clear but I went to full cock just in case. They heard the click and stopped, then the wind swirled toward them and they took off back where they came from. Oh well, still a good couple weeks. Time to clean the flintlocks until the late November gun season opens, on to the bow and whitetails for the next month!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Reading back over this now all I can say is it seems like a long way off until it's October again... Frowner

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need a few more hobbies to tide you over until the next hunting season.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good grief no, the last thing I need is more hobbies!!