Find
Notify
Tools

a deer hunt
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
a few years back i was setting in the woods one
early morning. heard some noise that i thought were turkeys. kept watching and a bobcat came
out. i had to lean way over to shoot around a tree
and bagged it. i have it mounted.

Posts: 33 | Location: mo. ozarks | Registered: 02 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very good.
Twice I have had bobcats stalk me as I was talking turkey during spring hunts. When they had approached to within 10 feet or so of me I moved. The surprised look on their faces was precious. I let them run away.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
The first bobcat I ever killed with a muzzleloader was shot one fine Georgia morning in the national forest near where I eventually bought a house. I was actually after a buck and had fallen asleep on this warm autumn day. A little sound snapped me awake and fully alert. Right in front of me and walking directly away at around 30 yards or so was a bobcat. I brought up the .45 and fired. The cat required a coup de grace but as I neared it the cat turned and started coming at me. Even though the cat only had the two front feet working I was startled enough that I accidentally fired the reloaded rifle. When the cat realized it wouldn't be able to reach me as I continued backing up, it turned and started toward a nearby brush pile. Quickly reloading I gave it the final shot. A week later I killed another one that moseyed within a few feet of my stand.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We don't have them in my region, but one year I was in North Dakota and had a late MZ season tag for whitetails, was sitting on the ground in a cottonwood river bottom along the Little Missouri River and had 2 young ones stroll past me, maybe 20 yards away. Didn't have furbearer tags but it was a very cool experience.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I saw lots more coyotes in Georgia but still saw quite a few cats. A friend killed a young one on the farm we hunted and I had a rather large one step out of the woods and stop maybe 20 yards from my deer stand. Still quite a few others moseying around caught my eye from time to time.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I retired from law enforcement in 1999 and we moved here to Tennessee in 2000. That year I began a seasonal job as a whitewater rafting guide here on the Ocoee River. This was the site of the kayak events during the 1996 summer Olympics.

Anyway, at one point there is an electrical high-power line that crosses the river and goes up the mountainside. The trees and brush under the power line has been cleared out.
One time as we passed down the rapids under that wire I happened to look up in time to see a large, tawny brown, long-tailed animal run across the open lane high up on the ridge. Cougar! Mountain Lion!

There is nothing else that it could have been.
One of my customers, also in the raft, saw it too.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post