New
Find
Notify
Tools

clean miss
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
The flintlock went off flawlessly. Cha-Pow! The cloud of white smoke, enhanced by the humid air, obscured the target. I scanned the forest as I began to reload. The smoke slowly dissipated. There! Barely visible through the underbrush, I saw the white tail of the buck as it moved away from me. It was walking, not running.
The muzzleloading deer season had opened here in Bradley County, Tenasi, three days ago. However, this was my first time out. Oh, I had been hunting the bear season up in the mountains for several days, but this was my first deer hunt of the 2022 season.
Election Day. I did the early voting thing about a week ago, and have not paid much attention to politics since then. What will be will be.
I was also hoping that my numbers hit on the huge lottery of almost 2 billion dollars. The drawing was supposed to be last night, but it didn't happen. Something about security issues has delayed it. So they say. I am very suspicious with thoughts of possible corruption monkeying up the works.
Ah, but there is too much wrong in the world today. Why worry about things that I have no control over. I'd rather be out in the woods.
I was in my local blind at first light this morning. All was quiet. Not even a subtle breeze ruffled the leaves that still remained on the trees and underbrush. Calm. The water of London Creek lay flat, with no discernable movement, but the creek was full to the brim because of the recent rains. The water grey-green and opaque.
The eastern horizon turned a bright yellow. High, thin, wispy grey clouds floated in an azure sky.
Fluttering and rustling in nearby bushes told me the sparrows had awakened. Several of them flittered around me and then they were off somewhere in search of their breakfast.
Twenty yards to my left; movement on the creek. A pair of woodducks. The brightly colored, wary drake noted the slight movement of my head as I slowly rotated to see them better. I froze. The ducks picked up speed as they paddled past, disappearing up stream. At least they hadn't flushed.
The day continued to brighten. Sounds of highway traffic penetrated the forest as more and more people joined in the daily commute to their jobs. A jet aircraft growled high in the sky. The sounds of a claxon horn and rumble of a freight train filled the woods. The nearest railroad track is about a mile and a half away, but I could hear the sounds of the train clearly in the damp morning calm.
About forty minutes after passing up stream, the pair of woodducks came back. They paid me no mind as they passed, this time going downstream. They soon disappeared behind me.
I reached into my pack and pulled out a book and a bag of venison jerky. Munching on the dry meat I read another chapter in "The Longest Silence", a book about fishing by Thomas McGuane.
Then, a loud SPLASH, behind me. A gurgle and tinkle of water. I thought the ducks were returning again. But, what is that moving on the creek? Antlers! It is a deer swimming up the creek.
The young buck came up the stream bank and looked directly at me. We were eye to eye only 15 yards apart. The book slid off my lap as I gripped my rifle. "shh-clunk." The sound was barely audible, but it was enough to put the spike buck on high alert. It turned and trotted off beside the creek, passing behind a large clump of thick brush. I brought the rifle up and tracked the deer as it moved. When it stepped into my open shooting lane and paused, I quickly pressed the trigger.
After reloading I went to where the deer had been standing when I shot. I carefully looked over the area, but could find no blood, no cut hair. As the deer had moved off it disturbed the wet leaf litter on the ground, making tracking possible, but slow. I followed it, looking for any signs of a hit. Nothing. No blood. I followed it up to the road, but did not follow it across.
Returning to the site of my shot I looked more carefully. Then, I saw the bullet hole in the tree. A clean miss.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, count yer blessings....Ya didn't need that guy to eat today....Sounds like a beautiful day, however.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
What better way to spend your time than being out in the woods? I would be, except our my dog has severe separation anxiety and whines if he's not with me, which drives my wife batty. He messed up his right ACL a while back so can't run through the brush any more like he used to, although he wants to try. We hope it will heal up instead of needing surgery (he had that last year on the left leg) so I stay home a lot. :>(

By the way, did you take the tree you shot home with you? I understand that the inner bark of birch is very tasty and nutritious!

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
birch sap makes a delicious version of root beer too Big Grin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Cool
Naw. The tree is a maple, and since I'm not a beaver it is a bit too tough to chew, no matter how long it cooks.

I had intended to be out there again today. However it is raining. A cold rain. So, I decided to stay indoors today.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Smart move...Even Maples don't move very fast, they need time to get out of your way.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a small tree jump right in front of a nice buck and take the ball meant for him. It left a perfect "C-shaped" groove on the side of the tree. How do they move so darn fast?! I mean roots are hard to pull up!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Tree musta had a real close relationship with that buck to be willing to take the hit for him... Big Grin

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Well, you'd think, Boartooth. But then weirdness has followed me around all my life.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post