New
Find
Notify
Tools

24 gauge
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Any 24 gauge smoothbore shooters out there? What is your pet round ball load?

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Having a new gun built in 24 gauge. I'll have to expend some powder and lead to find the right combo. I'll get back to you on what I find.

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My gun seems to shoot well with 80 grains of 2f, 2 wool wads, a .570 ball, and a tow wad over the ball. Its a good 50 yard load for deer but Lawd is it dirty. I want to go back to the range with 3f and see how it does.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I shoot a patched .565 ball over 65gr of FFFg for most applications, but the only game I've taken has been grouse, with about the same powder load and a bit more, by volume, of #5 or #6 shot, with a hard card, 3 felts (I punch them out of old army mukluk liners) under and an overshot card. Never ran into a deer when my priming was dry.
windy

Posts: 487 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
With a patched .562 ball it shot an even better group. I'm trying to find a good load in a more period correct powder, wad, bare ball and over wad.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to settle on 75 grains of 3f, 2 lubed wool wads, a .570 bare ball, followed by another wool wad. I gave me a 3" group at 50 yards. Now to settle inconsistent ignition!

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Woods Loper

If you shoot a flintlock, think vent pick, vent pick, vent pick BEFORE you prime the pan. Works for me.

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Been shooting them for years. All my other guns had vent liners and were lightning fast. This fowler is a direct drilled vent. I redrilled it from .062 to .070 which made it a little more consistent. I think I will go up again to .078 and see if it helps.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I drilled out my vent to .078(5/64). Hope to get to the range soon and see how it does.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Three inches at 50 yards is excellent. That's about what I get with my 20ga. I've played around with bare ball loads and they easily stay on a paper plate at 50 yds; but I just prefer patching the ball. Good luck.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post