New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ticks!!!
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I had a few days off last week and took the opportunity to stomp around through some of the game land I love to hunt. I CAN"T WAIT till October 1st opening day of black powder season!!! Any way, I must have stumbled into a whole herd of saber tooth man eating ticks! They are everywhere! Lyme disease is pretty rare down here but y'all be careful!

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
they are here in Wi also. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
They are thick as fleas on dog here in the Bitterroot. I've been picking at least a dozen off my paint horse, Nikawa, every evening for the past week or so. They are attracted to the white areas on her.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
They don't make pills to keep ticks off horses?

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Our local vet said that we didn't have enough deep freezes here in the Poconos, consequently we are overrun with the nasty little buggers.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll be moving to Maine before very long; my squeeze is there and just bought us a house. Talk about hoards of ticks! She found at least two on her already; and has only been in neighborhoods house hunting! We know know they are thicker - okay, maybe nearly as thick - as fire ants in Georgia. I have basically a lifetime supply of permethrin and that stuff WORKS! I've been in the bush in warm weather wearing clothes treated with it and would come home to zero ticks attached. I rub DEET on exposed skin. As for fire ants, the best thing one can do is learn to dance wildly and kick trees hard enough to remove the bark; but that, unfortunately, only removes a few. The rest are best removed by ditching all clothes, shoes and socks. You want to know how I know? Hee, hee, hee.......

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Neither the ticks nor the fire ants have been too bad around here this spring.
Interestingly, armadillos have been moving up here with the warming climate. They eat ants, but do they eat fire ants?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Maybe they eat them when they want a spicy meal.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Never heard of armadillos eating fire ants, but...
In Georgia they were, literally, everywhere. I never worried about stepping on a canebrake rattler or copperhead; I did worry about and constantly watch where I placed my feet for fear of fire ants. They can and do kill livestock and sometimes people. I still have scars from those that did get me. And it only takes one to form a scar.

We'll be in Maine before summers end. New England is where they invented ticks just as Georgia invented canebrakes.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I remember my first encounter with fire ants. It was years ago in Alabama. I was fishing and walking barefoot along a lake shore. My legs began burning and I looked down to see the nasty little critters swarming up my legs. I jumped into the lake!
Fire ants don't seem to like wet weather and go deep underground when it rains. We have had a very wet spring, so I have not had a problem with them in my yard so far this year.
Don't worry about ticks in Maine. The black flies carry them off. Smiler
On a Canadian caribou hunt I was so chewed up by black flies that I looked like I had chickenpox. When I came back in to camp one of my hunting companions asked: "Are you okay? You have blood spots all over your face." (that; in spite of wearing a headnet and enough bug dope to drown a moose!)

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We get their nasty cousins the yellow fly down here!
quote:
Originally posted by Rancocas:
I remember my first encounter with fire ants. It was years ago in Alabama. I was fishing and walking barefoot along a lake shore. My legs began burning and I looked down to see the nasty little critters swarming up my legs. I jumped into the lake!
Fire ants don't seem to like wet weather and go deep underground when it rains. We have had a very wet spring, so I have not had a problem with them in my yard so far this year.
Don't worry about ticks in Maine. The black flies carry them off. Smiler
On a Canadian caribou hunt I was so chewed up by black flies that I looked like I had chickenpox. When I came back in to camp one of my hunting companions asked: "Are you okay? You have blood spots all over your face." (that; in spite of wearing a headnet and enough bug dope to drown a moose!)

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Interesting observation. I was in the woods once and found a spot where a yellow jacket nest was dug up and destroyed. Pretty big one too, and a few jackets were buzzing around it. I believe it was an armadillo that dug it up to eat larva.
quote:
Originally posted by Rancocas:
Neither the ticks nor the fire ants have been too bad around here this spring.
Interestingly, armadillos have been moving up here with the warming climate. They eat ants, but do they eat fire ants?

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have seen black bears also dig up yellow jacket nests and eat the larva.
As for me - I run away!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Skunks will do that as well.

Factor
posted Hide Post
YES they do!

Found a skunk liked a spot in the woods near to where I like to lurk for deer; this skunk was creeping back to it as the sun was coming up. I saw him before he saw me and I retreated a safe distance for a bit..., then after a time he mosied away. I went back to my spot, and after the sun had come up a bit I found that the comb from a yellow jacket underground nest was strewn around where the skunk had been so intently interested. A few days later I collected some of the paper comb for ML wadding...., I had to wait as he didn't quite eat all of the colony....

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I discovered many years ago, when I first moved to the Ozarks, that if I could ever develop a market for ticks, I would be a rich man.

Nothin' yet.

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think the ticks here have drowned this spring, we've had so much rain. Of course the billions of skeeters have more than made up the misery quota.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Osprey:
I think the ticks here have drowned this spring, we've had so much rain. Of course the billions of skeeters have more than made up the misery quota.

Skeeters are very bad dudes, absolutely. But they get eaten by bats and other critters. But ticks; I can see no use whatsoever for that scourge.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Guinea fowl seem to like them......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, there aren't enough bats in Transylvania to eat all the skeeters around here. Clouds of them. I work for the state Mosquito Control agency and it's heavy OT this year, everyone is complaining. Got skeeters 40-50 a minute on high ground that never has bugs!

And I was wrong about the ticks. Was on the tractor this morning topping clover plots and was amazed at the ticks that made it up on the tractor onto my pants legs. Ughhh.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post