MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    2019 MD Early Muzzleloader
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 MD Early Muzzleloader
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Here in Maryland it's the middle of our early, October muzzleloader season. Been a wild weather week leading up to and into the hunt so far. Major coastal tides hit my area 3 of the 5 days before the hunt started on Thursday, so that's really impacted access, especially for sika in the marshes, and pushed deer around into unusual spots and pattern.

Then for the opening day a front came through and we had winds 20-30 all day, still 10-15 now on Friday morning. Yesterday with the really high winds it was slooow, only a few does seen in the distance, and not a shot heard anywhere near my farm. Have some work to catch up on this morning, but it's supposed to calm this evening and drop temps in the 40's, so I'm thinking this could be the day for the evening hunt.

Do have a lot of nice stuff around this year on trail cameras. A big 8 and a nice 10 whitetail on my place, plus some sika have actually, finally, moved into my farm with some regularity. The does and fawns are safe, I want them to make more, but I've been getting pics of a big 6pt stag that will be in trouble if he steps out! Couple more big whitetails at another spot close by I hunt. Worse part is trying to get after all of them and pack and get ready to leave early Sunday for the western MD bear hunt that begins Monday. Yeah, I know, I've got it rough... Smiler

Anybody else out hunting?!?! LD, you afield this weekend??

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went out on all three days, with my daughter joining us on Saturday. We hunted McKee Beshers wildlife management area on the Potomac. I hunt from a little folding stool. It was very windy Thursday and we saw nothing all day.

On Friday morning at 7:55, I had a six point trot past behind me. I knew he would pause briefly before continuing, and he did, at maybe 35 yards, but with his head and vitals behind a tree large. I could see his belly and butt. My frizzen cover was off and I was at full cock. I lined up and leaned way over to the left, hanging one butt cheek in the air, the other precariously balancing on the edge of the stool. Leaning way out I finally could line up on the vital area. I was just starting to squeeze the trigger when off he went on his merry way.

Saturday we three saw nothing at all. All of the fields are still full of standing corn, so the deer have plenty of cover. (I'm thinking the tariffs with China issue caused farmers to not plant as many fields with soybeans this year, so its all corn.)

It rained hard all day Sunday and Tuesday is more rain predicted. This week is does (antlerless deer) only. I have Friday and Saturday to hunt yet, so we'll see what happens.

Over the years I've generally averaged one good opportunity per three days of hunting, where I could take a shot at standing deer within reasonable smoothbore range. Whether I turn that opportunity into venison or not is up to me.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Not feeling it this year,all the other crew are at "Point a la Barbe" not much chatter around the camp fire now,camp is a Quiet place these days.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I ended up shooting the 10 point on my pace on the Friday of the hunt, evening, 30 yard shot with the .58. Dropped in a pile! In the mountains now with sporadic wifi on the bear hunt. Nothing seen for day one...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I was down in Dickerson Md hunting the last few days, only squirrels running the woods. Very little deer sign.

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
The deer are just not plentiful. Plenty of coyotes around though.

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Today is the last day of our muzzleloader deer season here in Tennessee. I have other things that need doing today, so I won't be out in the woods. It is raining hard anyway.
Big game seasons continue into the new year, and I will continue to hunt deer now and then with my muzzleloaders.
In December and January, however, I plan to mainly paddle the creeks and jump-shoot ducks.

I have seen plenty of does, and have passed up some easy shots, but I am still holding out for a good buck. Although, the last couple of times I was out I saw nothing at all.
I've only had one buck, a 7 pointer (4 pts. on the left, and 3 on the right antler) show up on my trail camera. One of my neighbors took him a few days ago.

I think, deer hunting is rather poor here in southeastern Tenasi. In the past I've lived and hunted both in upstate New York and Michigan, and have done much hunting in Pennsylvania as well. In general, I think the hunting is much better up there. At least, I prefer hunting up there in the Adirondacks, Michigan's Upper Peninsular, or north central Pennsylvania but we retired here to the mid-south for a warmer climate and a lower cost of living, so it is what it is.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It's been bow season here all month and I'm still grinding it out. I am after one big buck at a small spot I hunt, but he's been elusive, only showing up too late or too far.

On my farm my 74 year old Dad has taken a doe and a nice 8pt bowhunting. We had great movement early November but it's been spotty for me since. They're still here though, plenty of pictures at night. Firearms season opens in a week and a half, so I can get back to the flintlock.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
5 A.M. weatherman said the temperature was going up this P.M ,did my happy dance, missed the part about all the rain coming with it.Rained just about every day,or got real miserable cold and windy.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the weather around here.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Here's the doe I got in October. 70 grains of 3Fg pushing a 224 grain all lead .530 round ball. Range at impact 62 yards. She went about 40 yards to a bedding area and collapsed.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Early ML Dee

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good job Dave!

Late season now for two weeks, go get another!