New
Find
Notify
Tools

bear and pig
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Tennessee's bear season is broken into several separate sessions. The first session opened last Saturday. Feral pig (wild boar) are also legal game at this time.

I was out there before dawn on opening morning. I had permission to hunt 100 acres of private land that is surrounded by national forest. The owners had complained during the summer about the pigs rooting up their garden. I was happy to go and help solve that problem.
However, now the garden is gone and so are the pigs. I stalked along side Yellow Creek, climbed Hogback Ridge on Starr Mountain, and then circled back to my truck. I found deer sign, but no sign whatsoever of pigs or bear.

Today I went way back in to the Lost Creek country. I started high and worked my way down a long ridge. I could hear a pack of hounds off in the distance baying on the track of a bear or hog. Beautiful music.
I came upon 4 or 5 hog wallows. One was quite large and the brush was all trampled down around it. After rolling in the mud a pig will often scrape itself against a small tree. You can use the height of the mud mark on the tree to gauge the size of the pig. I found a mud mark that was nearly 3 feet high! That has to be an enormous hog.

However, in spite of finding all the pig sign I did not actually see one, and no sigh at all of bear.

I did hear that one group of bear hunters, with dogs, bagged two bears on Monday (yesterday)
No baiting is allowed here in Tenasi, so the guys with bear hounds have the most success. A lone hunter without dogs, like me, has to sit over a hog wallow, or just get lucky.

I killed a bear in Pennsylvania back in the 1970s, and now have no interest in taking another. Unless ...

But, I'm too old to be packing a couple hundred pounds of pork up a mountain. I'm looking for a tender little piggy of around 50 pounds.

The season has just begun. Deer will follow soon. I'll be out there.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
There's a SEASON on feral pigs?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Officially here in Tennessee feral pigs are considered vermin. On public lands they can be taken during any big game hunt, such as bear or deer season, and there is no bag limit on them.
However, on private property they can be taken any time.

This is a new arraignment only a few years old. As a result many private landowners have set out pig traps.
Wild pig numbers seem to have dropped because of this.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Whew, I can't imagine actually having a "season" on them, they are invasive, and aggressive. If you don't put hunting pressure on them, they take over. California treats them like game animals... With the result that you can't go lots of places in even the suburbs anymore. A park I used to go to when I was a teen is dangerous to go to now, and the PETA mob won't let the folks who care do anything about it.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post