MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Question for my powder-burning friends
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for my powder-burning friends
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
Okay,How many here at Campfire wear Camouflage while hunting with blackpowder firearms? I have never owned any,don't know if I want to,But if you gents think it's advantageous then I might consider a purchase. Thanks! your opinions mean a lot to me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of 1720Todd
posted Hide Post
I do wear it. I hunt for food and any help I can get I will do it. I wear Mossy Oak thin coveralls. About $50. I do not use cover scents and that stuff though. Nor do I use a face mask, just the coveralls over my clothes. We also have to wear a blaze orange vest and hat in Delaware. 40% coverage.
The coveralls do help. I sit on a stool with some limbs and the like around me. So the coveralls help to break up my silhouette. Also helps on my stalks.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Blaze orange is a must here in Tenasi also, as I think it probably is in most States. Vest and hat.

My usual hunting attire is an old pair of denim blue jeans and a surplus US Army field jacket. It is the dull green jacket, not the camoflage type. Insulated underware, gloves, a rain poncho, and whatever are added as needed according to the weather.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I wear camo from neck to toe. I also wear an orange hat but also have a camo hat in my pocket for when I feel it is appropriate.

In WA state, we don't have to wear hunter orange during the muzzleloader season. The need for a vest or 400 sq inches is more than plenty. My orange hat glows like a candle so my partner always know where I'm at.

I've been known to sit by a tree and wear my camo hat while my orange hat is on a limb nearby. that way it acts as a beacon for my partner so he knows approximately where I'm at.

I have cotton pants and shirt. I also have a light (summer) set of rain pants jacket with hood. I hate hoods so seldom use it. I also have a set of much heavier rain pants and coat for the winter months of late Nov. and Dec.

The above rain gear is breathable. I don't use scent lock or a face cover. I feel the camo allows me to get closer to animals but one still has to be quiet. I mostly still hunt, walking very slowly through the woods. I prefer to move 5 steps and lean against a tree to break up my profile. Look, listen, and then move a short distance again.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtnmike:
Okay,How many here at Campfire wear Camouflage while hunting with blackpowder firearms? I have never owned any,don't know if I want to,But if you gents think it's advantageous then I might consider a purchase. Thanks! your opinions mean a lot to me.

I like having a number of small items with me to cover a fair amount of annoying contingencies while out hunting...everything from bug spray to a few different meds to after-bite, etc, etc...and started wearing 6 pocket GI cargo pants decades ago to get the extra storage space of the 2 large leg pockets...and always just use the GI 'woodland camo' kind, which I also use for spring turkey hunting.

Under the GI woodland camo BDUs I use whatever good warm, lightweight, wicking shirts & long johns I need based on the weather, in dark colors. And when I've bought good quality raingear I get Cabela's Dry-Plus in camo on the simple basis if I'm buying it for hunting why NOT get it in camo...wouldn't be much point in intentionally buying it in some color like royal blue...not planning to play golf in it, LOL.

Note: Anything you're going to buy as outerwear over regular hunting clothes, suggest you think about getting stuff a couple sizes larger so you'll still have loose fitting freedom of movement...for example, I buy a heavy flannel shirt in XL-Tall...but jackets, raingear, thermal pullovers, etc, I buy in 3XL-Tall.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Lots of Texas hunting is from enclosed stands so I don't worry too much about what is normally considered camo. But the inside of my pop up is black so black shirt or dark coat w gloves and face cover. Camo for the background.

Had someone in a darkened blind when trimming limbs one eve preseason. He laid his hand on the sill and leaned forward as if shooting. Looked like flash lights turning on.
TC

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Earth tones for me....green or brown plaid flannel shirt...tan carhart pants...my old Army five button sweater if its cold...these are what I use.
I have found no use for camouflage since I left the Army....
It seems to me that animals use hearing...sense of smell and notice of movement...espsecialy up right two legged movement more than anything....so if I am careful and move though the woodline slow and not like a blundering human...I usually get my deer...or grouse.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes to the blaze orange. That is the law in Arkansas. Most of my hunting clothes are camo. Probably pointless considering the camo but I like it. BTW, my orange vest is in a camo pattern, that is legal.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I wear the same long underwear (2 pr) that I was issued in 1968 by the army - tattered and easily torn but still useable. Over that (in cold weather) insulated underwear & a t-shirt. When I bought my camo pants some years ago I got a couple sizes too large so they wouldn't be tight. Well, they must have shrunk because they are pretty tight when I wear insulated Big Grin.

I wear a camo hunting shirt, too. I wear a camo ski mask; not for camo effect but because it really keeps my head and face warm - 40% of the body's heat is lost through the head. No orange is required during ML season but is the rest of the season. I have an orange cap I wear over it. I have an old but fine canvas upland bird coat with orange panels that I use a lot. When it gets really cold I have a camo insulated parka in reserve.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I wear full camo when hunting turkey and waterfowl. I don't find it necessary for anything else.

Posts: 51 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
If the weather is not too cold, high 20's or above I wear my buck skins and moccs. Of course I wear long johns under them. We also have to wear orange in Ohio so I wear an orange vest. If it's colder than 20's I wear insulated camo.

Posts: 127 | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I bought some of the original Realtree years ago for bow-hunting, so I use it. I don't feel that I HAVE to, but it's better than nothing. Realtree Original isn't that great in Montana, though. Blaze orange above the waist is required in Montana during the general season. No Muzzleloading season. I don't have warm enough period clothing, either, or I would wear it sometimes.
Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I never wear camo unless I'm hunting waterfowl. I don't hunt turkeys even though they are around here, but I might if I did. I hunt for food but the deer just don't care, neither do elk. There are more important issues to address. I do wear earth tone colors, usually. Heck of a lot of people hunted for a living over the ages without the benefit of camo from cabela's or the like. It seems to have a heck of a marketing program though.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
scoundrel,while I am planning on turkey hunting now that I have a smoothbore,I have never wore the camo,but as far as a turkey can pickup movement I might have to "suit-up",like you so far my "food" hasn't complained about my lack of camo Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't have much choice, between bow season, waterfowl and turkey hunting 90% of my clothes are camo of some pattern or another!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I don't own any cold weather clothing that is cammo'd. My modern Carhart jacket is the same color as old cornstalks, and I'd use that for geese and ducks if I went waterfowling.

When I go BP hunting for deer, I'm normally in a natural ground blind, so I wear historic pattern clothing, lots of wool that is, and a wool, knit, blaze orange voyager's cap. I also use a blaze orange cape attached to my shoulders. I have another piece of blaze orange that I place on the backside of the blind, or if I am moving and decide to set by a very large tree I place it on the opposite side of the tree.

In warmer weather, especially when I am going for small game I use a reversible waistcoat. One side is all brown, and the other has the upper side in blaze orange over brown. They are easy to make. Just construct a waistcoat to an 18th century pattern, but for the lining, take a piece of blaze orange cloth, and sew it to a piece of cloth that you want for the lining, and arrange your pattern for the lining over the joined pieces of cloth at about half way down the pattern pieces. That way when you sew the pieces together the interior upper halves will be blaze orange on top. To conform to modern regulations, turn it inside out to expose the orange and away you go. Otherwise the waistcoat when worn right side out is whatever color you want.

You can be fancy and make reversible buttons if you wish, but I just opted for fastening them "odd" when I wear the blaze orange side out.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If the "experts" are correct,deer dont see most colors and turkeys have three dimentional sight,camos are not as affective as some would lead us to believe. Movement is the biggest give away I have experianced, Long years ago, I hunted in red/black checked plad then Camies now Blaze Orange,if I set still deer and other animals walk past,I move and game over. Maine requires Blaze Orange for firearm deer hunting season so camies are out anyway,would appear humans can see you fine but deer and turkeys not so much.
I do use camies during Archery Season,just because I can,dont know if it helps but I like it!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
No question movement will give you away in a heartbeat, but Turkeys see color vividly and will turn to look right at me wearing an orange cap as they go scratching by during deer season...so at a minimum it makes sense (to me) to at least wear dark / subdued colors.
So I wear camo and even a face mask for turkey to cover up the white face and avoid attracting their attention to look my way...and once I make the investment in camo clothes for one game animal, I just use the same clothes for all my hunting.

I've seen some folks post on other forums with an attitude about camo as if their trying to beat their chest or something about putting down the use of camo. To me its simple...I need clothes to wear when I go hunting and I'm sure not going to pay money for clothes to go hunting and intentionally NOT get camo...LOL.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well... truth be told I own a bunch of cammo, but very little of it can I now wear with most of it being 20+ years old and I'm not as "svelt" as I once was.

I wear lots of wool 'cause it's warm, and most of my wool is in historic clothing anyway...

Nothing wrong with hunting in cammo, and I have made a few guys ghillie suits for hunting turkeys and such, but again even when wearing one of those things, movement is the key. The USMC spends many hours teaching scout/snipers how to move in the bush to go undetected.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have all the cameo stuff but I have quit using it. I now use my period gear and the game doesn't seem to mind. My gear is all tans and browns anyway so I guess it isn't that much different. I layer up for cold weather and I find my mocs keep me as warm as my boots do unless it is really wet outside.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post