New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Official: Coyotes
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
News report this morning. The farm 5 miles south of me lost a couple of sheep to either coyotes or feral dogs yesterday. Mad He has a very small opperation, and does eggs, wool, goats, lambs, soap, and a few other cottage-industry things.

So..., it's about 07:30, and I will swing by when they open for business, and see if my services with my smokepoles can be of use to the family. I'm tempted to simply say screw it, and use a scoped SKS or my Israeli Mauser.

On the other hand my .40 cal, her name is Patience, just got 100 custom made conicals, just right for coyotes. Wink

Well, we'll see won't we...

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Lay it on them Dave Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you Dave. That is a goal of mine as well...take a Coyote or Fox with my .36 while calling. They are everywhere and quite a menace to livestock farms. After Deer season, I am going to set some traps on various farms to help out the situation. And I will be actively calling them as well.

I hope you knock the tar outa one ot two.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
LD, Maybe I should try to join you and bring my .58 flintlock Hawken. That rifle is experienced on coyote. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nesbitt:
LD, Maybe I should try to join you and bring my .58 flintlock Hawken. That rifle is experienced on coyote. Shoot sharp, Mike

That'd be a pretty good drive just to shoot at a Coyote. Maybe you could stop by here for a short rest...it's about half way. I'll keep the coffee pot going for you Wink.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Skunk, That's for the thought. But we'd probably better let LD scout it out by himself. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Be very careful you don't school them.They will never forget once you do something and don't kill them... keep changing it up distress call,bait,,if it's legal live bait in a safe enclosure,(Have a heart trap)rabbit,chicken in an open field works....distress call to get them to come in,, then watch,,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Where be the conicals come from?

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
OK in reverse order..., the conicals came from a gent who had a custom REAL style bullet mold made for his .40. It brings the weight of the projectile up to that of the .440 round ball, and as my and his .40 barrels are 1:48 they work well. I think (iirc) he was a tad worried about .40 on deer, so to be sure he had the mold made.

Now I went scouting yesterday, and introduced myself to the farmers, who told me that they lost a third sheep when they put it down due to its wounds. Then I went and checked the sheep carcasses, and look for tracks.

NOT COYOTES, from what I can tell, and here's why..., the sheep were hamstrung on the back legs, skin torn up, and arteries punctured..., but NOT eaten. Not a bit. Plus the tracks showed one predator per each carcass, and the tracks were different enough to show me only two attackers..., not a pack, but one-on-one on each sheep. One set of paws were a bit larger so I think the larger predator killed one sheep, and was the culprit on the surviving lame sheep that had to be put down.

My conclusion: Dogs..., two of them. Not eating the carcass at all means to me that the animals had the hunting instinct, but weren't very hungry if hungry at all. A coyote would not pass up on all that fresh meat, plus, once one sheep was down, all of them would've dined.

No? I've never actually dealt with coyotes here in suburbia before..., so am I off base or scientific wild arsed guess is a good one???

Now they might be stray/abandoned dogs, but have enough open food supply from other sources that they simply haven't transitioned to full feral, OR some local has a stray bull terrier, or husky, or German shepherd, actually a couple of them, and they saunter over to the farm when they get out. The farmer's wife mentioned she saw a loose pair of huskies a couple of months back.

3 miles East of the location of the attack is my co-worker with the chickens..., and she still hears baying-at-the-moon late at night, from time to time.

So I left my card with the farmer, and will try to arrange for them to be able to deal with the problem.

The DNR folks gave people out here a real song and dance..., crap about having to obtain a trapping license to trap the animals..., when Coyotes are in season here for hunting, and you don't need a license to hunt your own farm. Further, as a cop, if I see a stray or wild animal that is "aggressive" (and I think going for livestock meets that criteria), I can put the animal down without question.

So we'll see if the farmer wants the help or not.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you have an idea of who the Huskies belong to ,,check their teeth.Sheep wool/ fur have a weird way of getting caught between their teeth.The lanolin in the wool prevent it from coming out.Huskies are not that far from wolves in the breed and if they were seen in the area,, that would be my starting place. The coyotes around here travel in groups/packs of more that two.The two would be the Alpha male/female,however there should be more,siblings traveling with them.Coyotes here breed in February and have their pups before the deer start to drop fawns,just right for lambing season to....
They yodel a lot during that time.When their hunting in a pack they contact call as they go so listen for the calls,it will not sound like a dog,very distinctive.
Your reasoning as for the dog vice coyotes is good,,go with it.
Check the Traditional Muzzle Loading site your on and see what was posted there ref.coyotes,got pictures.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Hey LD how ya been? Where is the farm you are talking about because the farm I hunt also has no deer and coyote action over in Dickerson

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dave, They're just getting a hold down this end of the state, but most yotes here are one at a time so that doesn't sound odd. Maryland, at least from what I've seen, doesn't have packs like out west. I'd still bet yotes, either killing for the fun of it or the sheep were too big to drag off to a safe place to eat.

Make sure you get the $5 furbearer stamp for your license, DNR gets picky about stuff like that.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post