New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pa Bear Season
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
Any frontstuffers hunting the Pa Bear season this year? I have good sign for one on our property here. Going to let him be, and will be camping somewhere else in the wilds. There is something about hunting bear in a wilderness area with a Flintlock. The camp is the best part of the hunt. Would not be the same hunting from the house. Its been a few years since I have been home for bear season,and I am looking forward to it. If anyone has an interest in setting up a group camp,and having a drive or two in the afternoon , let me know.

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What are the dates up there in PA for bear? I seem to recall it's a busy time of the year for hunting...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Nov 19th - 23rd.

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Will be heading out on a trek into Pa game lands 51 Sat morning. Do some scouting before bear season. and spend some time in the woods with the longrifle. I plan on running a small trapline in this area also this winter,so I am looking forward to getting reacquainted with this piece of woods. Some of my fondest memories are of spending time with my father in Pa's very first Flintlock seasons here. I shot my first Flintlock deer here when i was 12. I also got lost here for the first time when I was 14! Since I already knew everything at that age I felt I did not need to note where i was, and take my map and compass with me. There was a beautiful fresh blanket of snow several inches deep. I would just follow my tracks back!After heading out at first light,I began to track a good sized buck for quite a ways. A blizzard happened to hit, and before you knew it, I could not see 5 feet in front of me,and my tracks in the snow disappeared. This was one of those times when you truly grasp that deer do not walk in a straight line. Well I made it back to the camp several hours after dark. I eventually ran across a stream that led me out to a dirt road. looking forward to getting lost in the same woods this weekend.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt! Lessons learned from experience like the one you wrote about are the ones that stick with us.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
John,
I had a similar experience, back around 1970, on North Mountain, near Rickett's Glen State Park, there in PA.
Lost my bearings in a blizzard while hunting deer. Fortunately, I had noted the wind direction when the storm began, and hoping that it had not changed, I finally stumbled out only about a half mile from where I thought I was.
That used to be my favorite hunting area. Got a bear there in '72.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Can't remember much that I was taught in college, but those lessons from the school of hard knocks sure did stick! It was apparent during my time in the Army which of us were hunters. We were the ones enjoying ourselves during the times in the field!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've never been lost in the woods, but I've been unsure of me whereabouts a time or two.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Scouting trip went well, beautiful day in the woods. Bumper crop of acorns this year,lots of bear sign. Will be camping at Ohiopyle state park,only a few minute drive to the area I want to hunt. A buddy from New Hampshire is coming down to bear hunt with me. Grouse seemed to be everywhere this year, as well as deer. Will be heading out with the bow tomorrow to do a bit more scouting.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday was the opener for TN bear season. I went into the mountains in spite of my aching back. Far up a ridge I encountered a huge log that I had to cross over. I sat on it and then proceeded to swing one leg up and over. I screamed! The sciatic pain shot from my spine down to my left foot like a lightning bolt.

I didn't move for quite a while. Then, slowly, I made my way back down the mountain. I finally reached my truck and had cased my gun and was taking off my backpack when a big, black, duel-wheeled pick-up truck came roaring down the gravel road. The driver saw me and slammed on his brakes, skidding, throwing up stones and a cloud of dust. I heard multiple people yelling and laughing in the truck. Then, the driver throws it into reverse and stomps on the gas. Tires spin, gravel flies, dust bellows as he backs up. Slamming the truck into forward gear, he hits the gas and the truck spins sideways, almost going in the roadside ditch before he rushes into the little turnoff where I was parked.

The young driver pulls in close beside me and sits there grinning at me like a cat looks at a mouse as the dust settles around us. I said: "Well, you drive like an idiot."

He responds with something like "It takes an idiot to know an idiot", or words to that effect.

"Okay", I said before turned back to resume unloading my gear.

I hear him say; "Everybody get out." It turned out that he had what I assume were his family with him. They all got out of the truck. There was a young woman with a baby in her arms, and also two young kids, one of whom was a chubby boy, but I didn't pay attention to the other one because the guy was approaching me closely.

I don't know exactly what was said after that. I was hurting and in no mood to tolerate ignoramuses. We exchanged some banter. I'm too old to fight some kid who is in his 20's, so if I can not avoid it then I need to put a quick end to it. If he made a move against me I was ready to grab him by the nuts and then put my knee swiftly up into his face when he bent over.

However, maybe he sensed that I was not the easy prey that he had expected. He moved back to stand beside the tailgate of his own truck. He just stood there, watching me, as I finished stowing my gear, got in my truck, and left them there.

My back has been bothering me since July when I did some heavy lifting. Saturday's episode aggravated it. I haven't done anything but lay around the house since then.

I"m 68 and that is too !#@!! old to be climbing mountains! I have several ground blinds set up on flat land, waiting for the deer season.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Why is it that the morons that need to be culled from our herd always breed like rabbits,and are protected by law?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Why is it that the morons that need to be culled from our herd always breed like rabbits,and are protected by law?

Summed it up well! Good luck with your deer hunt Rancocas.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I agree with all said. It is always a source of worry to me when I am deep in the woods, IS my gear and truck safe where I parked it? I always like to take an extra rifle or shotgun on a hunting trip, but always worry about undesirables messing with my stuff while I am out of sight and ear shot. There are too many people breathing today that mother nature would have culled a couple hundred years ago!

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
On another note. Took the bow for a walk the other day, archery deer is all that is in season in Pa at this time. Saw sign for about 3 different bear as I was wondering around, several deer but nothing I wanted to take that day. Grouse where drumming along some of the small Brookie streams I was hiking near. I can not put into words how great it is to be back wandering around in the mountains where I was raised!

Factor
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a beautiful walk,John.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Opener this Sat for Ruffed Grouse. Plan on a combo grouse hunt/bear scouting trip. Will be heading to the chalk hill corner of SGL 51. See if I can find any of the birds I saw the last couple weeks. This is a great area for grouse hunting if anyone is interested. I will be at the parking spot at first light Saturday morning. Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up. I can send exact directions.

Factor
posted Hide Post
That would be tempting if I were a couple'a thousand miles closer,heh.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Understood, I usually just throw it out there in case someone wants to go. Seems to be a fair amount of people on the site from my neck of the woods. I am a 49 and nothing brings a smile to my face like my little 2 year old daughter asking me if we get to go to the woods today! The sight of her smiling when she spots a deer before me,or sees a trout in a stream just melts me! I can't wait until she is old enough to participate in more then just short hikes.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Well, humped it daylight to almost dark, and did not flush a single bird. Did see a bunch of deer including 2 very nice bucks. Lots of bear sign in the area I was hunting. When walking back out in the evening, there was fresh bear scat on my trail that was not there in the morning. This will be the area I will hunt during bear season. I am going to head back out in the same area Monday to see if I can jump a few birds.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
We are up to 3 people for bear camp so far. I hiked down to Jumonville Glen, from the upper side of the mountain at Chalk Hill the other day. Lots of bear sign, and I saw some really nice deer also. I can envision the battle amongst those rocks during the French and Indian war. That would be a reenactment I would like to see! What a beautiful unspoiled area...