New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pa Bear Season
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
They do have some big ones. I think the press release they sent out said they had 3 taken this year over 700lbs and state record is well into 800lb range. Heck, state record in Maryland is mid 600'slb size and that's with only a 4 day hunt and a handfull of lottery tags. NC has the biggest on average, eastern NC routinely tags many over 800, probably becuase it's flat, warm and plenty of corn!

I'd hate to kill one of those biggun's 3 miles and 2 ridges deep into public land. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
John, are you doing this bear camp for 2017?? If I don't draw a MD tag I may be interested in checking it out. Looked at the map today, didn't realize the area was so close to my stomping grounds in western MD. Ohiopyle is only just north of there!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Yes I am. Have been deciding on where to camp this year. I have seen some good sign while flyfishing some of the small brookie streams.
Grouse populations seem to be pretty good this year also. I have been out of town alot this year, my first chance to get on this site in a while. Hello to all !!!

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Good morning fellow Frontstuffers! This Thursday, I will fulfill a dream I have always had. I will take possession of a cabin slap dab in the middle of the Rothrock state forest,near Penn Roosevelt state park. Equipped with none of the comforts of home. But it is secluded,and I can walk out the front door with my flintlock to hunt bear, deer, and grouse. Has a loft with several bunks. a good solid outhouse, gas lighting, gas refrigeration and stove. Heated by a homemade wood burner stove. Water comes from a beautiful spring coming out of the ground about 20 ft from the cabin. Rugged, remote, and exactly what I have always wanted..Looks like there will be three of us at bear camp this year. so there is room for a few more if any of you fine individuals would like to join me. Would be nice to meet yinz!
I have not been able to post much this year. Have been running a few engineering projects for a steel mill in Wilder Ky. I have worked more then I wanted all spring and summer, but about to really cut back for the next few months to enjoy the outdoors.I feel like a little kid at Christmas! Keep your powder dry, and talk to yinz soon..

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Very happy for you sir! I feel most have the same dream with very few ever realizing it.
The invite for a hunt is very thoughtful and kind, and I wish I would be able to accept, however my work nor my area I live in allows for an easy, quick hunt in your land. Please share your stories with us though as they are always nice to read.
Christmas is coming, lol.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Congrats John, sounds great! Had hoped to try and come up this fall, but I'm working on a trip to Nebraska for mulies, so that will take care of me for this fall as far as traveling. Good luck on the season!!!

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Heading to the cabin this morning to make a list of things needed, and to cut some firewood. start doing a little exploring around the camp. Will try to remember to take some pics to share. Acorns everywhere this year. A carpet of them around the cabin. Have been picking up chestnuts and walnuts too at the house. Talk to yinz soon.
Thanks for the congrats and kind words!

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Spent a little time at camp yesterday. Found where a bear was digging into a rotten tree not 30 ft behind the cabin. Heard turkeys gobbling, and saw a bunch of bushytails. Family duties will keep me busy at home thru Monday. Plan on heading to camp Tuesday morning for a couple days for Archery bear. Get a little more scouting done. Have not taken the bow for a walk in a while! May take a shotgun with me also, Turkey came in today. Lucked out and was able to get two DMAP anterless permits for an area near the cabin.
Anxious to spend the first night at my new camp!Picked up a bottle of Blantons, and a few good cigars for the occasion!The previous owners even left enough firewood to last for the rest of this year. They were not hunters, it looks like the property behind the camp has not had any hunting pressure for awhile.
Keep your powder dry!

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Will be headed to camp Thursday for Bear until Thanksgiving. Season comes in Saturday. Plan on going back to camp on the 26th cause deer season starts on the 27th. First season out of the new cabin/camp.Taking a little leather to make a new lock cover while at camp and will also try to finish a powder horn I have started. Hope to make a Tomahawk target Sunday since we still have the old blue law in Pa, and can't hunt that day. Nothing like being in the woods for an extended period. Best way to really unwind from it all!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're going to have a fun couple of weeks! Enjoy! The first season in your new place is something you'll never forget.

Was it PA where I read you have to bring the bear whole to the check station? So what do you do when you're alone and kill a 700lb bear a mile and two ridges from camp or the nearest road?

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Your allowed to gut, but not skin. I hope to be faced with that problem one day. I guess get the come a long from the truck and go tree to tree.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Well guys,no bear seen during the initial bear season at the new camp. Did find a bunch of sign though. Plan to head to the cabin again Tuesday for deer season, and also have 4 more days of bear from the 29th to the 2nd. Saw deer,turkey,squirrel,and rabbit though. Hunted four days and did not see another hunter in the woods where I was. Hope all of yinz had a great thanksgiving! Keep your powder dry!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That's ironic in a way, John. Couple weekends ago in WV on a deer hunt NO deer presented itself for a shot; but we did see two bears and one was up close & personal.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed for ya on the next few days! Good luck, it always seems to take awhile to figure out a new area, but you'll be set for years to come.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
So what's the late season report John? Did you get back to the cabin? Decorate it for Christmas? Going to spend any snowy winter time up there????

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey John, What's the 2018 report?!?! Did you see any bear at the cabin?!?!