Tools

Pa Bear Season
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
When does "people" hunting season start for the bears? Big Grin

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
When does "people" hunting season start for the bears? Big Grin

Four attacks with one fatality that I know of here in Montana since midsummer.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Black bears or Griz?

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Blozik:
Black bears or Griz?

These were grizzly attacks. Here's a link to fatal attacks by black, grizzly and polar bears in North America. I've only personally known one person killed by a bear. He is on this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...cks_in_North_America

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Not to mention attacks and fatalities by mountain lions.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Not to mention attacks and fatalities by mountain lions.

Lions are definitely spooky. I've seen a lot of bears in my life but I've only seen two lions. I find their tracks/sign and know they see me. They're around but you don't see them very often.

Sorry for getting off topic!

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
My wife teases me a lot because I LOVE bears and have a shelf of bear books. But, you know, I especially remember a very large cougar resting on a table at the Charleston S.C. wildlife exposition quite some years back. My wife did framing and calligraphy and it was an annual trip for us. Well, that lion was absolutely beautiful (all I've seen were) and quite calm there with all those people in the building studying the exhibits, including him. I've always thought mountain lions were wonderful, starting as a kid. But like bears, they deserve mucho respect.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,they know who's at the top of the food chain.They've been known to just follow bow hunters around here,just let themselves be seen,and trail you.Pretty spooky.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Season is getting close, bet you're getting excited! Good luck on 'em, I've got too much bear meat in the freezer now, plus goose season opens here on the 19th.

Maybe you'll get some snow for the opener?!?! Big Grin

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I am. I will be setting up camp the Thurs before the Sat opener. I have seen them while deer hunting, trout fishing, and turkey hunting. I have never gotten a shot during bear season. I hope this is the year!! Regardless, it is always a beautiful time of the year to take your gun for a walk!! Also, I have never been able to spend the time like I have this year scouting either. Thanks!!!

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Truck is loaded up,and I am heading out. I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good luck, shoot a biggun and take lots of pictures!!! Be safe.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I hope John has his hat on tight, VERY windy in the region this weekend! If the weather radar is correct he probably even has some light snow to hunt in. Big Grin

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Blozik:
Nov 19th - 23rd.

So what's the report?!?!?!?!

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
There were 6 bear killed in our area that I saw, unfortunately I did not get a shot. Crazy weather, hot one minute, windy and freezing the next. It was still a great trip, and had a great time taking my Flintlock for a walk each day! My record for the Pa Bear season is still intact. We did have some snow starting the second day. Will be heading back out thurs thru sat for deer and bear if they finish my truck today. never fails,runs great all year and get an engine noise during hunting season. Hopefully it is just an injector or the turbo.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I have taken a bunch of pics,will try to figure out how to get them on here as soon as I can.
Injector and a broken rocker arm or two. Never fails..Should be finished by this evening. If that happens,heading out in the am to hunt Fri And Sat. Extended bear along with buck in my WMU. Didn't get any doe tags,so it will have to be a wall hanger for me to use my tag. Enjoy Flintlock season too much,nobody else in the woods at that time. Keep your powder dry my friends! Talk to yinz soon.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Shame you had no luck on the main season, but good luck this weekend!

Looks like they killed a bunch this year, including some BIG ones! Here's the PA press release on the season results... http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/...480498050tn5s2njmbsv

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
No Bear for me this year. Maybe I will start smearing myself with peanut butter and jelly next year for camo..

Booshway
posted Hide Post
John,

I'm reading a press release from PA G&F and it says there is a bear muzzleloader season this year, October 14-21, in WMU's 2B, 5B, 5C, and 5D. Any of those near you??

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Has anybody noticed that PA has the largest, on average, black bears in North America? I remember some years back Gary Alt, who ran the Bear program here in PA, had a bear radio collared in Francis Walter State park in Luzerne county that he said was about 20 years old and would weigh about 1000 lbs. by that fall.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post