New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrel seasons??
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Don't some of you guys have squirrel seasons that are open already? Anybody been out??

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Oct 1st here. Dove season open next week so will sit at a water hole with the smoothbore .

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Got me a trade gun this summer and can't wait until October so I can use it on some bushy tails

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Never been sounds fun.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It opens September 5th in Va; but it's still hot in early Sept. I simply don't go into the woods when it's hot. Toward the end of the month temperatures will moderate and a morning in the woods won't be so unpleasant. I need to build a reputation for my Tn .32.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Opened Aug.15 here in Ky. I took my .32 southern built by joe Schell and took 4. The next morning was able to take 2 more.
All young greys. Now the heat is on here.ill wait until it cools

Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here in Tennessee the squirrel season opens on the last Saturday in August. On September 1 the early waterfowl season opened.

I've seen a large flock of Canada geese on the nearby Hiwassee River all summer while on my fishing trips, so yesterday I made a combined fishing/goose hunting trip down the river.

I have done a lot of waterfowl hunting all over the country, but this was the first time that I ever went hunting while wearing sandals and a bathing suit. The day was 90*F, so why not?

There are quite a few mild rapids but only one larger rapid that gives me some concern on that section of the river. I use my white water canoe and tie all my gear into it just in case I roll over.

I finally saw the large flock of local geese, much further downstream then I usually see them. I lined up the canoe so the fast current would take me down and right into the middle of the flock.

Closer. Closer. The big birds had their heads up, watching me. I was almost within range when I saw the house.

Well, darn! There I was surrounded by geese, now well within range, but there was a cabin within 100 yards of me! I could not shoot that close to an inhabited dwelling.

The flock exploded in a pandamonium of honking, flapping wings, and splashing water as they flew off for places unknown.

I did not see any other waterfowl that day, but I did catch a few smallmouth bass. It was a great day.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Those local geese know all the tricks! I've got a few flocks around here but they seem to do something different every day, especially now that the first corn fields are being harvested. Nearly impossible to get on them.

A long time ago, when the early resident goose season first began here, I worked on golf courses and we always hammered them to get rid of them. I was always amazed, after one day of getting shot, they knew the sound of the gas powered golf carts we used for maintenance. We'd have to switch and use the electric carts the golfers used to get within 500 yards of them at that point!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
geese aren't the only critters that know all the tricks. Just a couple of months ago, I was fishing one of the streams in the forest and a beautiful buck with one heck of a rack walked across the creek upstream about 50 yards and peed in the water. I swear he gave me an evil grin as he walked off. No deer meat (out of season and no rifle) and no fish either after he pawed the water and stirred up silt and who knows what. I went home and had a couple of nice belts of Jack Daniels over ice... to heck with all of God's creatures for that day. I think the trout called the buck on their iFish... or maybe emailed via wifish

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Would love to get out but 90'temps keep the woods way uncomfortable, to many flies n worries about the meat. Long winter, wet spring, now a long HOT summer into fall. Can't wait for a couple nights at n the 40s to make cool quiet days in the woods

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the darn leaves act like a kevlar vest. Went out first day of Deer ML season and saw deer but didn't get a shot, however we located a "squirrel city" and are going back November 9th when much more of the leaves will be down. Saw a couple dozen so we are looking forward to it.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post