New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Buck Bound for '18
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Just got off the phone a bit ago with a buddy that lives in Iowa, official invite for the coming fall was offered! Have 3 preference points so shouldn't be any problem getting the tag, heading out first week of shotgun and using the flintlock. He does food plots and good management on his farm and has some big deer, I feel like Odin just offered me a seat in Valhalla for a feast! Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Sound like a good deal for you. Hope it is everything you want to be. Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em!!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Kill a BIG one, Osprey!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Gonna try Hanshi! I got to go out there a few years ago and killed a nice buck just about 150" with the flinter on his farm, and he's got bigger ones running around. No doubt whatever I see will be big bodied, shot a doe that same year and could barely move her. I'm used to little sika deer, those midwest whitetails are big...

Ordering parts this week, going to make my friend a rifle this trip I think. Knowing what guided trips in Iowa cost I need to take care of him so I get asked back. Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It's a proven fact that deer shot with a flintlock taste better and are more tender.

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Just curious, what part of Iowa you are going to? Living in Minnesota my entire life so far and having hunted in other states, although I have not hunted Iowa, I can attest to the bigger whitetail deer here in the Midwest. I was shocked at how small the size of whitetails in Montana and Wyoming are compared to ours here in the land of 10,000 taxes.

Don't overlook what appears to be large rocks. An uncle & I walked within feet of three deer curled up with snow building up on top of them. They never moved and looked just like large rocks. The deer that we were looking for was not in that bunch. That has happened to me twice in 50 years of hunting. You are going to have fun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Haggis,

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My friend is not too far from Ottumwa in SE part of the state, neat terrain and lots of BIG deer. Have never seen many rocks in his area, but I'll keep a look out.

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Once on a remote moose hunt in NW Alberta I was watching a small clearing that I never remembered having this large rock in it. I was some surprised when that "rock" stood up and materialized into a massive bull bison!
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I’ve been lucky enough to Hunt turkeys in the spring, and bowhunt Deer in the fall in SW Iowa
Several times thru the years.
The Ottumwa area is good for the big ones!!!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sent in all my license application stuff last week, just waiting on the tag draw later in the summer now. They surely do think highly of their deer out there, nearly $560 for the non-resident tags, plus another $150 in three years of preference points! Sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be better off chasing squirrels...

Got a lot done on the gift rifle for my buddy. .50 Beck, 38" B weight barrel, everything is shaped, inlet and carved from the lock back, which puts it to a point that I can set it aside for the summer and know I'll have time to finish it in the early fall before the hunt. Just too hot and too much going on to much work in the shop this time of year.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
At those prices I'd be content chasing squirrels! Good luck with the drawing. Be sure to post a pic of the rifle when you finish it.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Geez Pab, you're in Montana and they are far worse! Last time I looked NR deer or elk tags were over a grand there. Frowner

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Hunting locally, deer only end up costing $80 a pound. You are already going waaay beyond that. Squirrel is cheap in comparison.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here in PA when I turned 65 I paid a one time fee of $110 and I have all of my licenses for life, except for the $6 doe permit. That being said, if I had the physical ability and financial ability I'd give Iowa a shot. You are not just paying for meat, you are paying for an enjoyable experience. Good luck

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Since I'm over 70, I also got a lifetime license here in Va. In Ga., before we moved, I had a disabled permit. I still have to buy deer/turkey tags and bear tags. I think Maine has a similar senior lifetime permit.

A western hunt for deer, and especially elk, was always a dream. Now, however, I'm not physically able to do such a hunt even if I could afford it. Hunting locally is tough enough for me.

Back in Ga. I was 4 minutes from a farm I had free rein to hunt & shoot to my heart's content. No telling how many deer I took off that farm but 5 to 9 each season wasn't unusual. A couple of mutual friends also hunted there but I rarely encountered them. I alwo hunted another place and took many big deer including a huge 10 pt. A friend and I took 15 squirrels there one morning.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have about 4 sq. miles of woods to hunt out of my back yard, and about 3 sq. miles across the street. The property is owned by the water authority, and managed by thr game department. With my age,74, and all of the metal parts that I have in me, I can't venture too far into the woods.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I think you may live in paradise, or that's what it sounds like. Mostly I'd go fanny down in the same place year after year and they used those trails all the time. There were a couple of other locations I took advantage of and scored nicely. Georgia is just "eat up" with deer.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, just wait until you have to hike up one of those Maine mountains this fall - IN THE SNOW!!! Smiler

Checked online yesterday, I DID draw my tag for Iowa!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Booshway
posted Hide Post
It feels like Christmas Eve, becuase I point the Jeep west toward Iowa TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Talked with my buddy and they had 12+ inches of snow on Sunday, forecast is calling for more snow at least 3 of the 5 days of the season. I love it!!

My flintlock is ready to go, finished the one I built as a surprise for my pal a couple weeks ago and sighted it in last weekend. Hope he likes it, and I'm sure he'll be surprised. Wish me luck guys!!