New
Find
Notify
Tools

TURKEYS!
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
So I had a little mishap over in WVA on Saturday. Right side tires edged off the paved roadway on US 340 AND when I nudged the car back onto the roadway (still moving) the edge of the asphalt did a number on the tires. So..., pulled over and my buddy came to help me; towed the car back to his place a couple a miles away.

Got the tires off the car and were headed back out to US 340 (going to get new tires mounted on the rims), and we got to the main road from his neighborhood to toward the highway. We see a bunch of huge birds in the field to the East, and it's rainin' and he says, "Why are there buzzards in that field?"

I look hard and, "Them's ain't buzzards...., them'a a dozen or so hen turkeys!" Eeker

It won't be turkey season for a couple of months, and I don't think I can afford the WV hunting license, but sure fun to see 'em.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've been patterning shotguns for the past few days. Different gauges, different size shot. Fun, actually.

Last deer season I found a new likely looking turkey spot. I'll be scouting over there in a few more weeks.

Spring turkey opens here in April.

I hope you got your tires replaced okay.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I use to see lots of turkeys where I hunt. But since the area around it has been clear cut I have seen zilch for the past 3 or 4 years. What to do?

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm still goose hunting this week so turkeys seem a long way off to me, but it'll be here before we know it. I don't hold them on my place in the winter, but luckily my spot is where they show up for breeding season and the spring hunt. Smiler

One of these days I'll have to crank out some new turkey calls for spring while I'm in the shop. But cold, snow flurries and goose season is still open tomorrow, so it won't be tomorrow. Big Grin

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
But since the area around it has been clear cut I have seen zilch for the past 3 or 4 years. What to do?

That's a good question. These were out in a very short cut, wheat field. I wonder if some roosting trees would bring them back for you?

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday morning about 8:45 a.m. my old shooting buddy and I were on the way to Bloomington, MN to meet up with a fellow that had a Taylorcraft 1/4 scale airplane for sale. On our way we passed one of the local Wildlife Management Areas and I can only imagine the size of our eyes when three hen turkeys got up and flew across the road 10 yards ahead of the Suburban. Lucky for us we were just putting along because of scattered ice on the surface of the highway. We saw another one still in the ditch as we passed by. They are big birds and they look even bigger when you briefly think they will be joining you in the front seat!

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Many people do not know just how big they are, when they fly up in front of you they look even bigger. Mark.

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
quote:
But since the area around it has been clear cut I have seen zilch for the past 3 or 4 years. What to do?

That's a good question. These were out in a very short cut, wheat field. I wonder if some roosting trees would bring them back for you?

LD

Probably would. There were a lot of trees going down to a small brook and the deer & turkey traffic was a given. I'd seen a flock of probably 30 birds travel through there once and a few here and there ripe for the pickins'. Deer also traveled through there regularly. Now, they stay on the forested property we can't hunt. Deer still come up to my friend's garden at night and before dawn; but, of course, that does neither of us any good.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in seeing turkey are more than welcome to come up to our place in central NYS. We have some decent flocks all around. Years ago when my kids went out for the bus they'd have to maneuver around the birds that were on our front lawn. Even now (end of January) I'll hear a bunch of toms going at it each morning when out with our dog. Once the manure spreaders start in the local fields it won't be uncommon to see 40-50 birds following behind, picking out the uneaten corn.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Posts: 13 | Registered: 04 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lots of turkeys?Umm,I already know that,they run your State.... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sorry guy,I couldn't resist.I've got the same problem....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Snapper that's a great offer! I've looked at NY with it's later season, but it's after I start back to work each year. Only working full time 6 months a year I can't afford to miss any days so it hasn't happened yet. Same reason I haven't been elk hunting, can't get away in September as work doesn't end until early October.

Hanshi, that sucks for turkeys, but your deer hunting should be good for the next 10 years as that cut regrows and gets thick. Plenty of browse and bedding cover. I'd get in there now and make a ground blind where the terrain funnels them, clear out a few shooting lanes too. If you have access to a tractor and bush hog to cut some paths in the thickets the deer will use them as trails and you'll be able to move around easier as well.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You're right about that, Osprey. Problem is the clear cut is on a neighbor's land so cutting brush isn't an option. We do, however, have permission to hunt his property. The deer/turkeys just don't travel through any longer. On the other side of "our" property it's still heavily forested and they run dogs all through the season; the deer don't leave. I've seen them, not recently though, come to their property edge, creep up the thick edge a few yards then cut back in. If I'm still here next season, I'll try again.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rancocas:
I've been patterning shotguns for the past few days.

I've ben working on my patterns for couple years, just can't seem to tightin up the pattern, #4 buck seems to give m the best, but so few pellets, just don't know, I've got to mid april to get it right. Good luck to you.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I hope that you are not using buckshot on turkeys. I've never heard of anyplace where that is legal.
Here in Tennessee, #4 birdshot is the largest shot that is allowed for turkeys.
Outside of areas where a rifle can be used, most folks use either #4,5, or 6 birdshot for turkeys. Personally, I prefer #5, but also often use #6. The smaller shot carries more pellets per weight, and therefor usually a denser pattern. I only take head shots and only at ranges of 30 yards or less.
In my cylinder bore 20ga. flintlock fowler I have found that if I cheat a bit outside of what is historically correct, and use a plastic shot cup, it seems to hold the shot together a little longer for a somewhat better pattern down range.
But, of course, all guns are a little different.

A note on #4 buck - many law enforcement agencies these days have shied away from #4 buck and now prefer OO buck or slugs in their raid shotguns. Years ago we tested #4 buck and were surprised to find that many of the pellets would not fully penetrate a heavy winter coat from only 25 yards! That was with standard 12ga. 2 3/4" shells.
#4 buck is good for close range coyotes, but in my opinion that is about it.
Happy Hunting

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We had a large number (about 20) of wild turkeys in our yard last week. They were all huge toms. Have lived in this location for over 15 years and I have never figured out a pattern for when turkeys will show up. I'm going to charge up the flint fowler but realize we may not see anymore until November. Oh, well.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have seen on another forum people using 2 oz. of shot in their 20 ga. for dense patterns at close to 40 yds. I am going to try this myself.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Just be CAREFUL with overloading that 20 by that much. It's more than the weight of the shot..., it's the size of the shot. At 40 yards #8 shot even with using 2 ounces probably wouldn't be lethal to a turkey, while #4 could be, depending on the powder load.

When trying this load, instead of just a plain target, get an empty tuna can, and place it on the target as the aiming point, bottom facing you. IF at that range the pellets that hit the can don't go through the steel can..., then your load isn't a good one.

So you can up the powder charge..., which with a 2 ounce load might be problematic, OR you can try to drop the shot charge down to 1¾ or 1½ ounces to get more velocity. Then try the test again on a fresh can, for pattern and penetration.

It seems like a crude test, but it does work pretty well as a gauge. 40 yards is pushing a cylinder bore 20 gauge pretty hard.

LD