MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    .40 caliber loads for deer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40 caliber loads for deer
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
What is your favorite load? I was using 60 gr. of Goex FFF and getting very good results at the range out to 100 yds. This may be a good overall load, just takes some sight adjustment depending on range. What do you use for hunting?

.40 cal. flint Cabin Creek Pa Mtn. Rifle
.54 cal. percussion Lyman GPR

Posts: 53 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: 26 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Many different viewpoints on caliber, powder charges, and projectile weight for deer.
Reasons are because of the size of the animal, and the variable conditions while hunting, the main ones being distances and what the deer might be doing in that moment between the sear breaking and the ball arriving...ie: last minute turning that throws a large shoulder or bone in the way, etc.
And is why such discussions have to include parameters such as 25yds max...or 125yds max, etc, or they're really meaningless.
There is just no one size fits all answer.
And yes, even .22s have been used to kill deer...but they certainly are not "deer hunting calibers" to leave the house with not knowing what hunting conditions and distances may be encountered, etc.
And I'm sure some deer have been take with the little .40cal PRB...but year in and year out it's mostly considered a small game rifle unless used for deer under strict limitations of distance and you have good tracking skills as there's usually little to no blood trail.

My personal opinion based on my deer hunting in North Carolina is I don't consider a tiny 92grn .40cal ball to be an all around general purpose deer caliber/load and would never leave the house to "go deer hunting" with one.
I have tested a .40cal x 200grn REAL just last year and took a good buck with it...but that's a far cry from the tiny .395" ball.

Based on my personal deer hunting experiences with PRBs out of .45/.50/.54/.58/.62cals, and using hefty 90-110grn powder charges I also believe the .45cal has distance limitations for constant 100% reliable performance, compared to the larger calibers.
My personal choice order of preference to handle my deer hunting conditions where I hunt in North Carolina:
1-.58cal rifle / 110grns Goex 2F
2-.54cal smoothbore / 90grns Goex 3F
3-.62cal smoothbore / 110grns Goex 2F
4-.50cal rifle / 90grns Goex 3F
5-.45cal rifle / 90grns Goex 3F
6-.40...N/A

Others mileage may vary...hunting conditions and distances are usually the wild cards in all these discussions.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Most folks proclaim it a small game rifle, however with a 60 grain charge or better it's legal for deer in Maryland. Maryland has never stated maximum ranges for black powder loads for deer hunting, and they allow black powder pistol that use a minimum of 40 grains of powder.

Folks have "stretched" what the round ball can accomplish by using a harder alloy than all-lead. Thus the projectile's deformation is reduced or eliminated, so internal friction within the animal doesn't slow down the projectile as much as it would an all-lead ball. The problem for the shooter is to find a proper ball and patch compound to make it work.

Does this make a .390 ball into a deer slayer? Tough to tell if it helps any caliber of round balls for it has all been guesswork up until now.

Personally, I have achieved pass-through of large deer standing broadside to me at 100 yards with only 70 grains of 3Fg and a .530 ball.

I have a .40 myself, but it's more for target work than deer. I like 60 grains of 3Fg and a .390 patched ball patched with chamois. 100 yards certainly would be pushing the .40 when taking a deer. I personally would work at getting the range to the deer closer in at 50, and broadside, OR use a conical bullet.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have a flint Lancaster .40 but have never taken a deer with it. Accuracy wise 60 grains of 3F gives me excellent groups at 100 yds. This is the load I would use for deer in a woodland setting. Another rifle, a .45, has taken a deer at 75yds with complete pass-through of the ball. This is a bit farther than I'd want to shoot with a .40. I do have knowledge of deer being killed at 100yds but would not personally try it myself.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no expert.

However I have read several accounts of David Crockett hunting black bear with a .40 caliber. I think probably, he shot most of them out of a tree, and so it was at close range and he had time for precise shot placement.
So, certainly a .40 is capable of taking deer within its limitations. However it wouldn't be my first choice for a deer rifle.

Here is my very simplified system for determining deer killing power. Set up a 2x6 board and shoot your .40 rd ball through it at different ranges with different powder charges. If the ball can penetrate completely through 1 1/2 inches of pine then I think it has sufficient power to take a deer at that range.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of opinions on this, I can only relate my firsthand experience.

65 grains of 3f Goex under a .395 roundball in a .015 cotton patch will knock 'em dead every time you do your part.

Great little deer caliber at 50 yards or less.

Spot

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, every caliber and every load has a limit at some point. Big Grin I remember on this forum when Mark Baker mentioned in an article in Muzzleloader that he used (iirc) a .50 caliber rifle with 50 grains of powder. Eeker Many folks found huge fault with this, but at the same time Mr. Baker never mentioned at what range he took his deer. Roll Eyes So without additional information, proclaiming such as either "good to go" or "irresponsible" really can't be done. There are many factors involved.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
A good rule of thumb might be to simply go with what's legal and be realistic with the particulars.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a .40 and I wouldn't use it for deer. Here in PA I can't use a .40 for deer anyhow. I am not saying somebody else shouldn't. As stated here you have to know the limits of what you are using. And that applies to a flinter or modern. Dave I was going to say,I don't know how you can fault a man for using 50 grains with a .50. But knowing what I do now I can see it happening.And you are right,range wasn't told per your post. But I will end with this--Most men use a much bigger knife and firearm than needed to do the job.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My 40 lancaster shot well with 60 grains for deer and 30 for squirrels. I will say that the deer I killed with it didnt leave any blood on the ground and the ball didnt pass through but bulged under the off side hide. The shots ranged from 40-60 yards. Keep them close with a .40

Posts: 552 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
A .40 bullet gun shooting 200 + grain cast bullets either muzzle loaded or cartridge (like a .40-65) or .30 cal 150 gr saboted round in a "modern" ML would be fine.

I've shot 3 deer with a .40 flinter. On two, I saw similar results to those who did not get an exit and ball located under the hide. Only one I was satisfied with was a 65 yard shot to the base of the neck using a .395 and 75gr FFg. Others left little if any blood trail and required help of others to locate.

No More .40 RBs on deer or larger for me. I now use a .50 or .54 flinter both using 90-100 gr FFg.

If .40 was only one available, I would try to get a REAL or even use a cast bullet for a .41 mag.

I don't trust game and fish depts to choose adequate equipment. IE the .22 Hornet is legal in Texas and can work well with head shots but..... In my opinion it is like most other gvt agencies staffed with folks well educated in theory and little first hand knowledge of the issues. Many times they are listening to marketing folks trying to get more of their products approved.

Just my experienced and cynical $0.02.
TC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rocklock,

Posts: 138 | Location: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
A .22 Hornet is, indeed, a rather pathetic round for deer; though in the hands of a good shot who knows the rounds shortcomings, it works quite well. My Hornet is a super accurate Kimber and accounted for three deer. I put the .40 prb in the same class with the Hornet. It's not for everyone but there certainly those who can make it sing.

Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
I realize this topic is 7 years old, but IMHO - it's always nice to get folks input on the .40 cal for its usage.

I have a .40 with an Ed Rayl barrel (1 in 72 twist w/ .010 depth round bottom rifling) 7/8"x36" caplock Rifle I built 12 - 15 years ago - and it's one heck of an accurate rifle, and will handle loads accurately (from my testing) anywhere from 40 to 80 grains,,, and I've tested it with all three powder granulation's (3fg, 2fg, 1fg) and the results are impressive (not only with accuracy) but reloading it as well (which I attribute the following to the round-bottom rifling - where I was actually using 60 grains of old 1fg Meteor Powder and reloaded 11 times without swabbing between shots - just using a .018 spit patch with a .395 ball...)

As far as hunting deer size game with the .40, I would not feel under "gunned" - but I would work for the 50/60 yard (or less) shot... IMHO, back in the day of Crockett - I don't think this would have been a problem for those woodsman hunters - as they had plenty of cover to work with,,, where'as out here on the plains, (where I live) we are limited and need to choose our hunting area's very carefully for best results,,, and I'm certainly not a stand hunter and never will be,,, and I don't fault those that do hunt from a stand, it's just not my style of hunting for the enjoyment of the pursuit...

Now on the other end of the scale; I built a .40 cal chunk gun (Green Mnt Brl - 1" x 42" x .40 cal - 1 in 48 twist - .010 depth rifling) and it's as worthless as coyote crap when it comes to sustained accuracy - but it's a challenge I enjoy, and since I retired - I will find the right combination for this rifle (which I also built about 15 years ago)... Wink

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't think a lot of folks realize how far off 50 yards actually is. I was squirrel hunting in February, and five doe (two were full adults) came within 50 feet of me as I sat on a log that was part of a downed tree. I could've easily taken either with my .40. The woods in the several places where I hunt are not so thick, and the terrain is rather hilly, that one can get a 50 yard shot. But the deer will come a lot closer.

LD

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
The .40 is legal in Maine, but since I have three .45 rifles that's what I use. I've taken quite a few deer with several 45 and .50 prb rifles. The longest shots were a couple at 100+ yards with two different .50s and a 75 yard kill with a .45 and 65 grains of 3F. But the average distance is probably closer to 25-30 yards. The closest was about 6-8 feet.

I have full confidence in the ability of a .45 prb to drop deer DRT or at least within sight or sound. Every deer shot with a .45 ended up in my truck. My .40 has never taken a deer although 60 grains of 3F is one fine load. And I never have had full confidence in the .40 prb as a deer dropper. Still, I do not begrudge anyone using a .40 to take their deer; H#%%, I still might give it a go one fine day.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Many of the states that have a separate black powder seasons have a minimum caliber of .45 in a single barrel rifle. It is best to check your state regulations. As Hanshi said, Maine allows a .40, but my state (CT) .45 is minimum caliber.

Posts: 20 | Location: SE CT | Registered: 27 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
As this thread has been revived I'll add a bit more about the .40. Maine is the first state I've lived in that allowed the .40 to be used on deer. My .40 is as accurate as I can shoot at 100 yards with 60 grains of 3F and a tightly patched .390" ball. Velocity in the 38" barrel is (ave.) 2150 fps. If I were determined to use it on deer this is the load I'd shoot. The reason is the accuracy of the load and not the velocity. Since the velocity of the .40 falls off rather quickly a load 200+ fps less speed would do as well at 50 yards, which is a long shot for the .40, IMHO.