New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost turkey time!!
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Less than a month here for me, anybody else closer to their opener?? I had birds this morning gobbling all through my woods, definitely turned the excitement crank to eleven. Smiler

Posts: 215 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
In Alabama it started the 15th haven't heard the first bird yet. Starts tomorrow in Georgia going to camp today hopefully I have better luck there.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Starts April 1 here in Tenasi.
I heard a distant gobble several days ago, but in general I think our turkey numbers are down a bit.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 879 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Our birds had terrible reproduction last year, so not many jakes this spring but we seem to have plenty of 2 and 3 year old Toms. Should make for great hunting this spring, although next year could be slim.

I've seen as high as 7 longbeards in my field at once the past few weeks, but in general our flocks are just starting to break up and move around for the spring.

Got one new spot to hunt this year, actually our muzzleloading club property, but it's over an hour away. Going to be a lot of early mornings on the road, but I want to kill a bird up there this spring. Tons of sign up there, just need to spend a few dawns listening to figure out where they're roosting...

Posts: 215 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I read a report recently that said there were somewhere just over 2000 toms killed in TN in 2015. No data is available for 2016 yet.

Middle TN has the best turkey hunting. Here in the East, the South Cherokee WMA, near me, had about 200 birds taken in the 2015 season. That is big woods, high mountain country. There are around 250,000 acres of public land. There are a few small open fields maintained for wildlife, and of course, miles of logging roads, but the hunting is hard here due to the rough terrain and thick woods.

I tend to concentrate on one particular ridge that I know well. Several patches on its flanks were logged off in the last few years. Some of those areas have now grown thick with saplings, underbrush, and briars that I think helps the turkey and deer population.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 879 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I did some patterning of my English Fowler yesterday, it is jug choked full.

This should do the trick at 25 yards;

Posts: 45 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Once again my hunting is interfering with my hunting. Was already trying to decide which of three spots to hunt opening morning, and NOW I've drawn a tag for the local NWR in the best area for opening day, and I'm the only one in that section. I need your sympathies fellas, sometimes my life is almost too much to endure... Big Grin

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You have mine, Osprey.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3089 | Location: Virginia (by way of Georgia) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I can almost feel your pain lol

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Oy.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1449 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I had a big tom coming in yesterday, but he hung up about 50 yards out. Apparently he didn't like what he saw because after a few minutes of looking and walking around in a tight circle, he suddenly took off running back over the ridge.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, I had that happen before and more than once. Aaaarrgh...

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3089 | Location: Virginia (by way of Georgia) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Been out listening the last several mornings to get ready for our opener next week, been birds gobbling almost everywhere I've been, and lots of them! Once spot I hunt has dried up to nothing the past two years, but looks like plenty of birds to play with everywhere else. Still splitting off the big winter flocks and moving in to prime spring nesting and displaying areas here, should be perfect by next week...

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I was out today on a combination turkey hunt/fishing trip on and beside the Tennessee River. I saw 6 turkeys, all hens, and caught two fish. The fish will be my lunch tomorrow.