New
Find
Notify
Tools

First flintlock turkey's
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Had a good day today shot 2 birds with one shot, they were both Jakes but they eat well. Used my 12 gauge Caywood they were at 22 steps.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Good on ya' B...never had a situation where a pair were in the line of fire, and in NC we can only take one a day anyway, 2 for the season.

What's your season bag limit there?

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Two with one blow; that's wild. I'll be happy with just one soon as our season starts. Never killed a turkey before.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
RB we are allowed 3 in Georgia were these 2 were taken and 5 in Alabama. I called in a 20 lb 11.5 inch beard for my 9 year old grandson in Al. youth hunt but he was using a regular shotgun.....B Staley

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Good for you sir!!

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Never shot two with one shot but I did kill two with a rifle once withing a minute or so of each other

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Hey B, Nice job! Can you post some pics of that Caywood and gear? I'd like to get a closer look at them, it all looks really nice!

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to ya. Feels good dont it Big Grin

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 12ga fowler also and the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was concentrating on a longbeard and didn't notice the jake a few yards behind him.. Frowner We're only allowed one bird here in Michigan so my wife had to tag the 2nd turkey. She loves to hunt too so needless to say She wasn't very happy about it... Mad

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good job. What load were you shooting?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
In Ga. You can shoot 3 tom’s per season doesn’t matter if it’s one at a time or all 3 at once which is a good thing LOL. The load was 80 grains 2f Ox-Yoke wad a cushion wad 110 grain powder measure of 6 shot than another ox-yoke. Need and try some 5 shot to see if it patterns a little better but right now will stick with this load.....B Staley