MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Hunting    Muzzle blast / Smoke from live fire muzzleloader ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle blast / Smoke from live fire muzzleloader ?
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted
Toying with the idea of capturing the "shooter's view" during a live fire muzzleloader shot, using a barrel mounted video camera.
Action sports video cameras have become much better quality with longer record times, and have come down significantly in price...some are built into sunglasses, others mount anywhere from ball caps to handle bars to gun barrels, etc, etc.

The target range might be interesting but the real interest might be the shooter's view via an action oriented video clip when hunting turkey/deer/squirrel hunting, etc.
My concern is that the cloud of smoke from a muzzleloader might obscure the very precise moment of action, which is the whole point of trying to capture that moment on video.

Does anyone know of any existing video clips from muzzleloader gun barrel mounted video cameras...that would show whether the smoke obscures the target or not?

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rb, technology has really left me in the dirt. Such cameras are news to me. Surely someone with flintlocks will get one and experiment. I, for one, would really like watching the action you describe.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I've seen barrel cam videos from modern shotguns shooting a turkey and it was very revealing never before seen action...I'm just reluctant to drop all that money if when using a ML, the muzzleblast/smoke obscures everything.

If I had some other use for it I wouldn't mind putting out the moo-lah so much...but it would be a pass-fail situation...it would either produce some "wow" footage and I'd use it a lot with my hunting...or...it would sit unused on a shelf after the first attempts.

Was hoping by polling the ML community someone might have known of or seen one taken using a barrel mounted video on a ML already.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
RB...I don't have the answer you are looking for, I think this might be a new picture 'window' that you will have to work on yourself.

But in my opinion, I believe you would miss the 'action' or the actual 'hit' of the bullet through all of the smoke. Of course, maybe with slow motion, you just might be able to see that hit.

I have never been able to see, a squirrel for example, get 'hit' when I have shot. Two things get in the way...the 'kick' and the smoke. I think a camera attached to the gun or even the brim of your hat would still have these same problems. Ideally, I think a camera somehow mounted above your head, looking directly at the target, would capture the view you are seeking. But how you would capture that all by yourself would be the real trick. Another person would be an answer, but that's not what you're looking for I don't believe and you've probably already thought of that possible answer.

Another possibility would be a sincronized split screen shot. I've seen that on some of the TV shows before. Sometimes the offset camera even captures the smoke from the shot, if not offset too far.

Good luck and I hope you find your answer or make a good video of it yourself...I'm sure we'll all be waiting to see it.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
The recoil from modern 12ga shotguns was not an issue with the turkey shots I've seen, plus the video cams have a good wide field of view.
As far as I can speculate my main concern would be muzzleblast/smoke obscuring that initial instant that I'd be trying to capture...

Hunt Like The Settlers

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have one of those little cameras, it takes surprisingly good video, the audio is not real good, not much volume, carried it hunting last fall intent on doing just what you are talking about, saw deer got all excited and busy trying to get a shot, forgot to turn the darn thing on. Killed a nice 8 pt that had been chasing a doe, Remembered I had a camera attached to my cap about the time I got back to camp, RATS! It would have been some great footage, Maybe next year.

Posts: 25 | Location: Cookson hills of Oklahoma | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post