New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Maryland bears
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Well we got lucky in the draw this year and got TWO tags! I drew and my Dad drew. He doesn't care to go, but my normal hunting buddy Pete is going on his tag as a co-permittee, so this way we can split up and each shoot a bear. Smiler

Last two years we haven't had much luck, but each of those years there was practically no mast crop and the weather was very poor, either warm and humid or raining. Went out to the mountains last weekend and did some scouting and the mast part is at least looking good this year. Acorns and hickory nuts everywhere! One spot where we hunted last season and never saw the first bit of fresh sign has plenty right now. A short walk and I found 4 fresh piles of bear scat, fresh tracks and one spot they'd been up in an oak stripping acorns off branches. I know a lot can change between now and the season in the last week of October, but my hopes are high!

Either way, it's always a fun week in the mountains of western Maryland, hiking through the hills with the flintlocks trying to honor old Meshach Browning.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
What mountains do you like to hunt there ?

Posts: 232 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We bounce around Garrett, mainly. Killed my first one on private land near Friendsville and the Yough, last one was on public in Savage River SF.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Here in Maine, with so many bears, there's always the chance I could come across one in the bush. I have a lifetime license (age related) that includes bear and most everything else except moose. I'm rather conflicted about bears. I'm just not sure I could ever bring myself to shoot one. I'm afraid if I did shoot one it would truly bother me a lot. But I also know I would be startled seeing one and a snap decision shot would surprise me as much as the bear. A snap decision like that is, of course, done without consultation via the conscience. I'd love to have a bear claw neckless but would feel guilty making a non-threatening bear pay the bill. In fact I've gotten to the point where I just don't care to shoot critters. Exceptions might be a porky pine, an Earth thundering buck or a snowshoe hare. I'm mostly talking critters that don't exist in the South or that I've never seen in the wild. For me it's more a "wait n' see".

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A fall bear fat on acorns or corn is a fine eating critter Hanshi! One of the best wild game I've eaten. Worth it to get the fat to render for lard and oil, too. Nothing wrong with a nice bear rug, either. Ya just better have help or plenty of time to get him out of the woods!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt Osprey. Of course, any reason to roam the woods is a good one. I hope you get a nice fat one!

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 569 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Osprey:
A fall bear fat on acorns or corn is a fine eating critter Hanshi! One of the best wild game I've eaten. Worth it to get the fat to render for lard and oil, too. Nothing wrong with a nice bear rug, either. Ya just better have help or plenty of time to get him out of the woods!

I'll just have to keep in mind that nothing will be wasted (except the innards) and there's a good use for all of it, including claws for a neckless. With the meat and oil it might be worth the effort. Got any idea what the going rate is for doing a bear rug?

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed the question until now Hanshi. Last one I had done was $400, but it was 5 years ago and was a big hide. I seem to recall it's charged by either weight or size. Mine was also done as a primitive tan with no backing, feet or head inset, which would have knocked the price down from a fancy rug.

Will be heading out to the mountains in another week for the hunt. Weather looks decent this far out and we're getting excited. Three day muzzleloader deer season end of this week to get through first though. Love this time of year! Smiler

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well what a tough hunt this has been! Weather for the hunt has been terrible for starters. 70 and sunny the first day. 40 and rain the second. Today mid 40's, but fog and mist all day. Calling for warm tomorrow and a washout rain day on Friday. Things have changed immensely since I got up to scout a few weeks ago, too. Then there were acorns and bear sign everywhere. Since then they cleaned them up and are so fat they're hardly moving. So far the check in has seen the lowest totals since the season first began. Tough year for everyone, only like 30 bears total mid way through the week over western 4 counties in Maryland. Record kill a few years ago something like 170 for the week and normally there are 60-70 the first day. Tonight my buddy and I had three other hunters move in on us, too, which certainly doesn't help.

Oh well, that's the roll of the dice with a short season. Still fun to be in the mountains prowling new country.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
From the reports I have heard here in Tenasi, the bear season has been rather slow here, too.
However, a new Tennessee state bear record has been set with a humongous bruin of well over 700 pounds.

Myself, I have only been out for bear twice, so far. I haven't seen a thing.

Muzzleloading deer yesterday and again nothing. I did encounter one other hunter in the woods. He claims that in 3 days of deer hunting he has seen 3 bears.

Plenty of time yet.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Bear rugs are way beyond my budget then. Not to mention little ol" me trying to drag any heavy critter anywhere. So; the chance of me taking a shot at a bear moseying by are very slim. Just don't think I could make myself do it. A deer, no problem.

Would you believe the cop actually gave the little guy a ticket, and he wasn't even drinking!