MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Tall Tales    8*F! A mite balmy in the pines.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8*F! A mite balmy in the pines.....
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Hiya, fellas!

Hyar I set with a fire in the woodstove puttin' out comforting heat, a hot cup of Lapsang tea, and a half dozen of snikerdoodles to munch on, watching a dozen or so deer nibbling on what little green grass remains in the yard! Life is good!

Over the past weeks I've cured about 15 pounds of deer jerky, ground up deer burger, cubed stew meat, sliced small steaks, and sawed up ribs for slow cooking. The small buck that I took during the last week of the hunting opener has provided nicely to the winter larder. Not quite like the poundage provided by the big moose I hunted in the years that I lived in Alaska.....but, hey! Meats meat!

Orther (aka Our Thermometer) read a mite balmy 8*F this morning when I arose to the brightening of the rising sun. After raking the glowing coals into a pile in the woodstove, placing some pine cones, splinters of pine and a couple of split chunks on them, the cheering little flames started licking along the wood, promising to take the chill out of the cabin.

All five horses gave a whinnying greeting as I left the cabin to do the morning chores. Wisps of vapor arose from the water troughs, making a statement as to the chill in the air, while feeding the horses their morning hay. After making sure all were doing ok, I retreated to the cabins' warmth.

It ain't like living in the wilds of The Last Frontier, with its deep negative temps and 9 month long winters.....But, the Bitterroot will still let you know you live in the Rockies!

Keep an eye to tha ridgeline.....'n' your woolies handy!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good post. I sure do like hearing how others are getting along and doing things.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice post. Glad you are enjoying life. Anyplace cold is not for me. Today is is in the 30s and snow is forecast. That is not what I expect living in the south. However, it is lovely looking out the window and seeing deer in the yard.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Well, now, Crossfox, the wife and I just monday went to Home Depot on our side of Guadalajara and bought a gas space heater. The thermometer was hanging at 48F in the mornings. This is January weather. Run that baby for an hour or two in the late evening takes the chill off. This is the first we had any sort of heat in the house here in México. We are geting older. Don't you know, the latter part of the week has been 62F in the morning. oh, well, January is coming. Keep safe up there in the wilds of Idaho. The sugar cane harvest is started here now so I have to be careful I don't get run over by a truck while walking for exercise. El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You paint an idyllic scene up there in the Valley!

Similar here today in my corner of Delmarva. Got up at daybreak, started the coffee, stoked the woodstove and loaded fresh chunks of firewood. Took the dog out next for his morning constitutional, hard frost on the remnants of yesterday's snow and ice still on everything. 25 this morning but far from cold enough to freeze the tidewater, so the geese are out on the water making a heck of a racket. Put some fresh, warm water in the coop for the chickens, new birds this year who still aren't sure about their first snow. Rest of the morning is slated for bringing a few loads of wood to the porch and grinding up the last of the buck I shot late last week for the freezer.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Having been raised by my grandmother, I grew up with wood burning kitchen stoves and pot belly stoves for heat. Your post brought up all those good feelings again. Thanks

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post