New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Long Winter Ride
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Seems Whitehair is older than most of us thought.

Posts: 29 | Location: Derby Kansas | Registered: 30 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
“Well now, boys, this is my last trip to Westport with a fur pack string.” Eddings offers, “I’m quitting the Rocky Mountains for a gal down in the Ozarks that is sweet on me. She’s a preacher’s daughter and I aim to marry her. Besides, I’ve seen the Elephant and will be going into the calling, too.”

“’Sticks does like that Ozark country some, don’t he?” Hickham grins, as he punches Edding’s shoulder, “Kinda hard to see this fun lovin’ ol’coon being married and a skypilot, ta boot, and in some dour church, aint it……You’ll keep’em chuckling and do well, for sure.”

“Even Buckwalter has quit the high cold country for the southern lands of Mexico. Said he’ll enjoy the warmth fer a long spell iffen the Mex’s don’t toss’em in the calaboose and lose the keys. I still get a chuckle when I think of him wearing those pumpkin lookin’ pantaloons at the ‘voo. Ol’Gabe jest about choked on his chaw when he saw’em! That was some doings!” Sparks guffawed.

“Ol’Redbeard alus was one to wear them queersome lookin’ clothes,” Fiddlesticks commented.

“A number of the boys are getting’ into guiding for the wagon strings and for the army. Ol’Bill Williams is to be guiding for Fremont,” Josh Crain ventures, “Might give that a try myself.”

“So, ol’Solitaire is gonna be an Army guide, who’d a thought?” Nesbitt pondered.

“In a couple of days, me and Fitz are headed to Westport to meet up with a Father De Smet and his string. We’re to guide him up to the headwaters of the Seedskeedee. Don’t know what I’ll do after that. Maybe head up into the Musselshell……What about you, Buck?” Stitch asks, as he chews on a grass stem.

“Walna, I had some plans, all seems to have fallen apart after the fight with them Rees and Snakes. Might head down to the Salade or the Gila; maybe over to the Uintas……Would like to see that country again……The long mountain winters are terrible cold, and these ol’bones want some warmth in the winter,” Josiah sighed.

“I’m heading down to the southern Rockies, figure I can make do alright fer a spell there,” Chuck Burrows adds, “Callate some will hang on to trapping for another ten years or so afor it’s completely done. It won’t shine none, though……We shor had some shining times! Waugh!”

“We was young once, wild and free, not a care in the world; the Rocky Mountains drawing us to’em like moths to a candles’ flame. We thought it would last forever……Shining times and plenty of fur.” Summers took a long draw of hot coffee and in a somber voice continued, “Shor seems to me the mountain fur trade is sputtering out for sure. Never thought we’d live long enough to see it happen. I look at the my reflection in a calm pool and wonder when I got so old……just hate to see it end so.”

“Waugh!……All this talk of the end of the mountain fur trade has soured my milk for shor. I’ve got a turrible dry coming on ‘n’ the need to slick it. Whar’s tha jugs?” asked Stitch.

Several of the gathered mountain men smiled, spit out their wads of chaw and grunted “Waugh!” as they produced jugs of post whiskey for the men to indulge. It would be an all day drinking fair for some, Stitch included. Other mountain men made their way back to the fort and went their separate ways for the rest of the day. Josiah and Dick headed out on a ride to look over the country to the east of Fort William.

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Xfox
I'm really enjoyn yorn tale! Keep it comming ol hoss.

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Talltree,

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Grrrrrr . . . if'n Ol' Redbeard dawns them arnge britches and pantyloon gitup I hope he ketches a Injun arrer right whar the south end o' th' rooster jumped o'er the fence a'headin' north! Waaaaauuuuuugh!

Skypilot or not, I ain't a'takin' it back, nuther!

Fumin'sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
'Schticks,
you burned them fancy clothes when i brought you the ten bore wheellock.
I don't have any more to wear.
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Pshew! I recollect that, Redbeard. I shorely was a'skeerd you'd fetched some more. Them dad-blame mountainmen'll hatch up pert'near anything whilst bull-a-vatin' around a campfire.

I take back what I said about thet Injun arrer. Even though I said I wouldn't . . . sniff . . . this ol' skypilot is a'repentin' (wipin' my nose) . . .

Ashamedbutbreathin'easier'sticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
te se perdona, hermano.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yer skeerin' me now. I'm headin' fer the Ozarks fast as my cayuse kin git up a short lope.

Boogerin'sticks

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
you are forgiven, brother

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I seems ta 'member a tale of some orange pantaloons some'res back in the past. But they was worn by some feller from up North...pencilvana or sompthin lie 'at.

This story is gittin a bit familiar with some o' them Mountainmens. Can't say as I know any of them personally, but I plum heared of 'em.

Me thinks I want more too. Appears it might be nearing the end o' the story...unless we git ta travel the Oregon Country.

See ya on the trail boys...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Is there more? Havin' Longhunter and Ol' Whitehair in the same camp would be some doin's! Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Fellas!

Thars a fer piece ta go yet! So, keep yor coffee cup full 'n' yor bi-focal spectacles perched on yor nose.

Many rivers ta cross, injuns ta dodge, 'n' tradin' posts ta visit yet.

Tha story will continue as long as yor enjoyin' tha readin'.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Keep on goin' XFox! Enjoyin' your yarn.

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Fellas!

Just taking a couple of days off from writing the story. It seems these ol'brain cells need a break more often than they used to.

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n'readin' specs near.

Regards, xfox

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walna, where was I? Hmmm, seems tha boys were drinkin' busthead 'n' yabberin' inta tha wee hours......Waugh, 'ere we ar................

The next morning, Stitch was dealing with a bad hangover consisting of red stinging eyes, roiling stomach, a pounding headache and a strong soured taste in his throat. All from too much of the homemade bust-head that passed for whiskey at the fort. After several cups of very strong mountain coffee, he began to feel somewhat better and began gathering his gear together for the trip to Westport.

Fitz was grinning broadly as he deliberately banged around some of the cooking utensils he was getting ready to load in a pack bag.

“Dang, Fitz ya tryin’ ta wake tha dead wit all ov thet noise?” Stitch whined as he rubbed his forehead and squinted in the bright sun, “’N’ quit grinnin’ like a possum eatin’ hornets. Hit aint funny.”

“Shor hope yer up ta forking yer cayuse at tha noon hour cuz we’ll be leavin’ then.” Fitz said straight faced, “Ah shor doan want ya ter fall off yer ride non.”

The sun was at its high point as Fitz and Stitch rode away from the corral leading a packhorse each. Dick and Josiah rode a short distance with them, wishing the men good luck and a safe trip to Westport and back.
“Keep aholt ov yer topknot, Buck, since ah aint gonna be thar to pertec ya non,” Stitch quipped and laughed, as he waved.

That afternoon a rider came in with a message for Dick. The wagon string he was waiting for had arrived at Lancaster Upton’s Fort Platte, about a four-day wagon trip down river from Fort William. Dick thought it best that he join up with the wagon string before it arrived at Fort William, so he planned on leaving in the morning.

By the time the sun was beginning to break the eastern horizon, Dick was already by the corral with his horse tacked and saddled.

“Walna, ol’coon, ya shor ya doan want ta come ta Fort Platte with me?” Summers queried.

“Naw Dick, ah aint gonna go guidin’ no immagrints. Ah’m headin’ fer the Grand River drainage fer ah spell,” Josiah replied, adding, “Its been good seein’ ya agin ol’coon. Doan git skelp by one o’them corncrackers!”

Dick and Josiah shake hands, and then Dick mounts up, turns his horse, prods it with his heels to moves out.

“Keep yor skelp locked on tight amongst them Ute’s, Josiah!”

Factor
posted Hide Post
I 'member that...worst part was that it was Ol' Gabe's last chaw and he remembered I borried some 'o his'n up on the Green...

Nice goin' Crossfox! Strange to be readin' along and pretty soon, there you are!

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Now I can get back to fleshin' this here groundhog hide...didn't even get to see his shadow afore I nailed him.

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Haw! Haw! Haw! Wheeeeeeeze . . .

You've been back to ol' PA, I see.

Sideslappin'sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
The two mules looked to be suited for the task of packing, the post wrangler assuring Josiah that they had packed from Westport several times and were known to be reliable. A price was haggled for the mules, lead ropes, halters, and pack saddles, coming to $150. The wrangler gave Josiah a chit for charges to give the sutler. He stopped by the blacksmiths’ shop to get some “S” hook hangers and a folding leg grate. And then made his way to the trading post.

Josiah had been making a list of what he would need to replace the goods, gear and gun that were lost on the Yellowstone during the long winter ride. He knew it was incomplete, but it would do for now. Entering the trading post, he nodded to several of the men and waited patiently for one of the men to finish his business.

Standing before the clerk he asked, “Ar’ ya tha sutler ov this ‘ere post?”

“Non, monsieur, Pascal Thibault ist zee sutIer. I weel git him,” the clerk answered as hurried back to the storeroom office.

“Who thees asks for Pascal Thibault?” Pascal asked, as he warily eyed the men in the post room, finally settling his gaze upon Josiah.

“ I am, ffen ye be tha sutler. I have ah list ov goods I want.” Josiah replied, as he handed the list to the sutler.

The extensive list of goods consisted of:

3 mill bastard cut files wrapped in oiled paper
3 bastard cut files wrapped in oiled paper
3 turn screws
2 hatchets
1-5 pound axe
1-12 inch drawknife
3 skinning knives
3 butcher knives
4 best sparking strikers

3 best cotton shirts
1 blanket shirt
2 best denim trousers
2 canvass pants
1 wool trousers
2 pair suspenders
6 pair knitted wool sox
2 pair hard sole moccasins
1 pair boots
2-4 point wool blankets
2 wool toques
1 broad brim rounded crown hat
2 pair green lens spectacles
2 dozen various size needles
1/4 pound cotton thread
1/4 pound linen thread
4 awls
2 pair scissors
1 pound bees wax
4 horn combs
1 looking glass
1 vial oil of clove
1 tin Balm of Gilead
2 large bars Castile soap
1 bottle liniment

4 baccer carrots
5 pounds green coffee beans
1 pound Lapsang tea
5 pounds flour
3 pounds dried apples or peaches
3 pounds raisins
3 pounds penole
1 pound salt
½ pound black pepper
½ pound red pepper
¼ pound whole nutmeg
6 rounds Mexican chocolate
¼ pound rolled cinnamon sticks
1 pound lemon sours
1 pound peppermint pieces

1 medium sheet metal skillet
1 medium Dutch oven
2 tin cups
1 medium wooden bowl
4 various size wooden or horn spoons

1 flintlock smoothbore trade gun 20 gauge or larger
1 spare lock
3 pounds shot
5 pounds of Dupont
5 pounds finger lead
2 dozen best English flints
6 best hickory ramrods
½ pound of tow

6 beaver traps
12 light wire snares
6 heavy wire snares
½ pound waxed linen fishing line
2 dozen various sized fishing hooks
2 packing tarps

“Sacre bleu! Thees a long list of goods, monsieur. You wan thees on zee books, no?” The sutler Pascal Thibault asked sarcastically, “Many plus be needed to clear thees credits, eh? Whar you go, git thees plus?”

Factor
posted Hide Post
Green lens spectacles? Pshaw! Denim britches back then? And what'n'thunder is Dupont?

Skeptical'sticks