Find
Notify
Tools

Life in Tenasi
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Good morning, and Howdy;

Some of you read my story about Lulu the hound dog. Here is the latest news.

Last Saturday at dawn, Lulu disappeared. We checked the neighborhood and the dog pound, but Lulu was no where to be found. I figured that her wandering ways had finally carried her far away from here. Either that, or someone local had penned her up, or shot her.

Well, early this morning, before daybreak, I hear a noise and go to check the back door. Low and behold, there is Lulu! She had been gone for exactly five days.
I let her into the house, fed her, and then she goes directly to the dog bed and curls up there as if she hadn't been missing at all.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine also has a strange visitor. Dave and his wife were going to lunch last Saturday, the same day that Lulu disappeared. They locked their door and turned around to see a big, gray mule standing in their front yard!

They corralled the mule inside their fenced back yard, and gave it some hay and a tub of water. Dave put out the word about the mule being found, but now, five days later no one yet has claimed it.

The mule seems content to lounge around in Dave's back yard. Dave is wondering what to do with it.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ranco.......Seems ta me that Lulu ist spredin th news of you folks an th neighborhood as bein rite hospitable. Might be well ta build a corral and a large kennel an be prepared fer whats ta come next !!! Haw Haw !! Folks that attract an care fer the wayward critters are gud folks in me book !! Thers always room fer mor Dr. Doolittles.

I recall one evenin Missus Rupe an me wast goin inta town. We were drivin the truck and had just left th dirt roads an hit th madadum two lane an up over a rise in th middle of th road comes two pigs walkin rite towards us. Figurs that they wast local an we stopped ta speak to a fella in his yard near ther an his response was; "HawHawHaw; Ya don see tha much" !! We found a spot ta turn around an when we got back they wast gone. Firgurd tha they went home !".

Keepdointhguddeeds - Rupe

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Ranco'! Maybe you'll get a milk cow next! Which'll naturally draw in a turkey to scratch around in the manure . . .

Seein'thefuture'Sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ranco.....Lulu hav any plans fer th weekend ? She mite wanna go out fer gatherin !! Hows th mule ? Hast th mule a name yet?

wonderin'boutitRupe

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The mule has been named "George", by Dave's wife. As of this morning they were expecting some woman to came and pick up the mule. She isn't the original owner, but she has some horses, and intends to turn George out into her pasture.

Since her return Lulu has been sticking close to our house. I think maybe she didn't like wherever she was for those five days.

I had venison for dinner tonight and I gave a piece to Dixie and Lulu. They sure did like that!

BTW; Rupe, I see that you are in NW PA. Are you anywhere near Conneautville? I have a cousin who has a small farm there.
There was a time, long ago, when I did a lot of roaming all over Penn's Woods.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ranco.....Tis a small world an th Inter-whatever keeps makin it smaller. 'Bout 20 years ago Missus Rupe an me near bought an Amish farm in Conneautville, 'fore we settled on this land. My son lives in Crossingville, jus up th road from ther. Story goes tha Jay Silverheels (Tonto) ist buried in Crossingville; the home of his Nation. Don kno iffin ist true, but it makes fer a gud story.

Did you live in PA ? What parts of the Penns Woods did you travel ?

Glad "George" is going to have a home near like critters. Wast thinkin tha ya mite jus put 'other bed 'sides Lulu an let George bed ther !! Give Lulu a scratch fer me.

Rupe/PA

Booshway
posted Hide Post
One time a white mule showed up at my brother's place, near Malta, Idaho. She had a feedbag hanging on her face and was hanging along the fence looking at his horses. I happened to drop by while he was drinking coffee and digesting his breakfast while looking out the window at the mule. I said "let's go catch her up and see what she amounts to". We went out to catch her and she wouldn't let us get close enough. About the time we got mad enough to catch up a saddle horse to chase her down and rope her my sister-in-law, Myrna, came out of the house with a couple of biscuits and walked right up to her and got ahold of the feed bag straps and said "hand me a rope". I did, while my brother Dick walked off in a pout grumbling about Mexicans (Myrna was born in Piedras Negras, Mexico) having some kind of connections with mules. We took off the feed bag and looked her over and she wasn't branded. Dick told Myrna to put a notice in the paper and I went to the bars in Malta and Declo and spread the word that somebody had lost a mule.
I stopped by there a couple days later to see what they'd found out and they hadn't heard nothing from nobody about losing a mule. I said we ought to see if she's broke to ride and Dick set down his beer and said not unless you brung your saddle. I had it in the pick-up and it didn't take all day to learn that she wasn't.
We put a decker on her and slung a couple bales of hay and found that she was a good pack mule. In fact, a week or so later we took her out and used her to pack fence posts. About the time we got to liking her the camp jack for a sheep outfit came by and said that they had lost her. Broke our hearts as we had got to be good friends by that time.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rupe;
I was born and raised in southern New Jersey.

I've been pretty much all over PA, but I spent most of my time between Williamsport and Wilkes-Barre on North Mountain, near Ricketts Glen State Park. Also, in the Pocono Mountains of the northeast.

I shot my first deer and also my first black bear on North Mountain. I have many fond memories of that area.

My cousin and her husband bought an Amish farm just a couple of miles north of Conneautville. Most of their neighbors are Amish.

North central PA had been high on my retirement list, but my wife nixed that in favor of getting out of the snow.

We like it here in TN, but I think the hunting is better in PA.

Jay Silverheels (Harold J. Smith) died in California, was cremated, and his ashes taken back to the Six Nations Reserve in Ontario, Canada where he was born.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Whaal Ranco....Tha news on Tonto sur puts a lil tarnish onta th tale fer th Crossingville area, but I feels sur the th local tale will linger on !!

Rupe/PA