Find
Notify
Tools

the heavens
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted
I woke up at 0530 and saw the late crescent moon and Venus close together. I disturbed Ms. Audrey to ask where the camera was. I had to pull in the heavenly bodies with all the power of the my Nikon digital camera, so a littel shake is evident. But I hope you can enjoy.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the picture....

It looked just like that 2100 miles to the north east of you too!except at 13 deg's below zero Ha!

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Fowl,
Wow! Where are you? It is 3000 miles to Pennsylvania. I didn't know it was still that cold anywhere south of PA.
I thought the crescent appearance of Venus was camera shake. But Venus is always a crescent as seen from earth. I just didn't think my camera could resolve the crescent. I really doubt it can, actually.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Oshkosh,Wisconsin 54902
More north than East.
We are having a real Wisconsin winter...
45 plus days below zero temps.
trickle water to keep from turning solid.
6' ground frost
plenty of snow cover...no end in sight.
3' ice on lakes.
Come on SUN!

Hope she makes it..5 seconds later she was eating the lichen off the tree bark.
as she walked away the snow depth was mid ship.
Turkeys flocking to spread cow manure atop the snow cover.
Eagles congregating to the smaller open water areas on rivers.
Plenty of ice on Great lakes..shipping at a stand still.
6am today -9 deg F

This picture was taken On Madeline Island,Wi. at Big Bay State Park 2 weeks ago they received another 12" of snow since.
Google.... Lake superior Ice caves... Apostle Island National Lake shore.
It's a Winter wonder land.
To endure the winters here you need to go play in them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fowl,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I get a good chuckle out of fowls' post as it is 47F here in AK where I live. I can remember when I lived in the bush and posted on here about enjoying -25 to -60F temps on a regular basis, seems so long ago now.

I talked to 'Sticks' a week or so ago and it was 15F here, sunny and no snow. At his place in Arkansas it was snowing and 7F!! Don't ya know I gave him heck fer it too!

We have had a lot of northern lights this winter, very colorful.

Glad someone else is gettin' a taste of normal Alaskan winter wx!!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I was a bit amused a couple of weeks ago when I read that there was a place in Canada where it was colder than where our Mars rover is on Mars.

I been plum stuck at how cold it has been in southern Wisconsin this year - being from Arkansas and all. One thing I have learned (or re-learned, after sailing the Aleutian Islands in November of 1987) is that, once you get to a certain point, cold is just cold. I'm ready for spring. And I miss Arkansas.

Volie, nice picture. Thanks.

Spot

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Crossfox,
I remember in Feb. 1978, was the first time in my life that I saw -18F in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It was in the 40s in southern Alaska.
So history repeats itself. It is a differnce in the jet streams. It is just the fluctuation of the weather.

Thanks, Spot.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Volie..we had a similar celestial picture here the first week of Nov.(whitetail deer rut here) Moon-planet just after sun set...
Met my brother back at the truck after a full day in the bow stands.
We were standing on the top of one of the high ridges that line the sw part of Wisconsin(driftless area)where the Glaciers did not level them.
Yacking like hunters do about the day admiring the beautiful sky..when a pack of coyotes howled to the north.seconds later another to the west ...another to the east..we counted 6-7 packs going off...within a 5 minute span of time...
What a thrill to hear with the beautiful sky as a back drop.
Another one of those added bonuses to a hunters life.
Thanks for the picture reminder...