New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porcupines
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
My dogs got out and ran into the woods the other day. They came back about a half hour later looking like pin cushins. $600 and 4 hours later I got them back from the vet. Anybody got a good recepie for porky.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
accordin' to my cookbook, "going wild in the kitchen", if i recall, jist use any good raccoon recipe. taste better if they ain't been eatin' evergreen bark. young 'uns eat better'n old ones; the meat's dark and stringy, like good potroast.

Posts: 487 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanx if nothing else I'll fee it to the dogs.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your dogs. I've cooked up 2 porcupines and they are delicious. With both of them I cubed the meat and soaked it in saltwater over night. I just grilled the meat and added seasoning salt. Both were very tender. Its the best small game I have ever had.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I used to live up in Michigan. I had Springer Spaniels then. One of my dogs, Rosie, hated porcupines.

Twice she attacked porkies and got a face full of quills for her efforts. I carried a pair of pliers on my grouse hunts just for that purpose. I sat on Rosie to hold her down and then used the pliers to pull out the quills.

One time I shot a large porcupine with the intent to see how they taste. I simply roasted a hind leg over a bed of hot coals. I took one bite and spit it out. It was awful! It taste like turpentine. I guess that porky had been feasting on the pine trees.

Before that, when I lived out in Arizona, my spaniel, Ben, ran into a cholla cactus when he was chasing a quail. Those cactus spines are much worse than porcupine quills, in my opinion.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Quills are hollow!! so when you just grab ,squeeze and pull they expand and get harder to remove!!Next time try this,nick or cut the quill and then pull them out,they deflate instead of expand and hold tighter.If you cut the quill tip off,do not drop them where you will step on them or they will become very bad .A quill will,.does,can continue to work into the flesh without much effort and just the slightest poke, with the quill, is enough to cause it to start to embed.Feel for the very small ones that are below the skin and out of sight,they will continue to work into the animal and can kill them,they continue to penetrate...Had a Shepard that had a dislike for Quill Pigs,,got very good at removing quills,somewhere there was a naked Quill Pig in Maine,three times one day in about four hours,,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yep. Thanks Walking Crow. I forget to mention that I cut off the end of the quills before pulling them out of my dog.

However, the cholla cactus spines are not hollow. They are barbed just like porcupine quills, but they are solid. And, they continue to work their way in deeper over time, and sometimes out the other side. I do blame the cholla on the early death of my dog Ben. An autopsy found multiple spots of infection thoughout his body, that I believe were what remained of the cactus spines.

On another note, many years ago my Mother got a fish spine rammed into her index finger. It broke off and over time it worked it's way completely through her finger beside the bone, coming out again on the other side. Her finger was painful for a long time.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Porkies are mighty fine eatin. Remove as much fat as possible, be sure and remove the glands under the front legs. I like em roasted...

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post