MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Tall Tales    A Hoary Coat Settles On The Trees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Hoary Coat Settles On The Trees
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
The trees appear to have aged considerably through the cold night along the valley floor and the lower slopes of the near mountains. A hovering mist of freezing fog hung like a quiet spectre awaiting to envelope any exposed surface as the chill of the air penetrated deep.

Such was the start of the day in the Bitterroot at 18f as an inversion settled in for a long stay. Clear ice formed on small branches near the river, cottonwood, aspen and pine all wore a coat of fine frost crystals that gave a whitish gray tinge to limbs and needles.

Even the horses whiskers are covered as plumes of steamy breath flows from their nostrils. Some even freezing to the long hairs and eye lashes giving them the appearance of tall spirits. They whinny in greetings and anticipation of morning hay as I leave the warm cabin to do my morning chores.

Knowing that a cup of hot chocolate awaits my return, I hurry through the feeding and care of the horses. Even gloved, my hands feel the chill as I feed my paint Nikawa. Pulling the gloves off, I run my hands under her split mane feeling the body heat trapped under the hair on both sides of her neck.

Back at the cabin, the hot chocolate is steaming with just the right dash of nutmeg and the fire in the wood stove is providing an inviting warmth. I settle down in my chair, look out the window at the fog and frost, then chuckle to myself of the many folks that don't appreciate the little things in life.

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......"n" yor life simple.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
That is a good story, and very good advise. Markh

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder.... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
CF, if I had to live with winter, that seems like the situation I would want. El León deep down in Ol' México

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wife and I returned home to Tenasi last night after a quick trip up to Michigan to attend a funeral.
Rain and fog down here in the southland. Snow all across Ohio. Cold up there.
One evening we went to a big log cabin lodge of a restaurant. Rustic decorations. Big stone fireplace. Very nice.
After looking over the menu I didn't see any of the standard fare so I asked the waitress; "Ya'll got grits?"
Well, that lil' gal just spit out "NO" like a coyote snapping at a bug.
"Well then how 'bout some red-eye beans 'n corn pone?"
Thet gal gave me the evil eye with one eyebrow raised. She sorta worked her jaw some, but she didn't say nothing.
Hmm. She sure was cranky, and I didn't want to disturb her no more so I just ordered the buffalo meatloaf dinner from the menu. Turned out it was purty durn good!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Rancocas were you ever able to get grits Big Grin in a diner in south Jersey? I know that you couldn't find them in the 201 area.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, I like grits, but I wouldn't dare order them in a Nothron State.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm originally a Jersey Boy. I didn't know what grits were until I was 18 and down in South Carolina. I ordered eggs for breakfast at a little diner. My meal came with that white gloop on top of the eggs and hash browns.
But now, since living in the south for 20 years I have learned to at least tolerate grits.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I just started out to talk about snow in the midwest, but the topic got away from me.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, they tend to do that....