MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Tall Tales    Likely a dumb question . . .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Likely a dumb question . . .
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Must be the truth. Wife's been telling me she's seen cedar planks in stores they claimed were to cook fish on. I'll tell you one thing, them cedar-plank-cookin'-nawth'ners can equal any deep-fryin'-suth'ners I ever saw---and I've seen a passel of 'em in my day.

Back to original question: I got a book on how fish see colors and such. And my question was a dumb one indeed. Gonna come in handy with idees about what colors they see best in various conditions of water.

Just finished tying another bucktail streamer . . .

Gittin'ready'Sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
'Course it's good. Would I lie to a bunch of hungry fellers. I think some of the reason colors can make such a difference when fishing is the way different colors reflect light, or show up, at different depths and different water clarity.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I guess if I liked fish...
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Been finding out that the condition of the water has all to do with the way fish see colors. Red might not be red at all, to them. Might look a more natural color if the water's a mite murky, etc. Things gray down, so to speak. So, I guess pink might not actually look pink. I feel better about the buck fish now. 'Course the doe fish are allowed to love pink, so that let's them off the hook, so to speak.

Nevertheless, they shall receive no pink from me.

Too bad you don't like fish, Volie. I hear there's some thumpin' big ol' bass down your way. You need to try 'em on a cedar slab . . .

Fixin'ferfishin'Sticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a kid growing up in a small, southern New Jersey town, there was an annual shad run up the Delaware River and up the Rancocas Creek that passed through my home town.
(Recognize the name?)

It was a rather big deal among fishermen back there in the 1950's and early 1960's. There was even a special little jig called a "Shad Dart" that was popular for catching the fish.

However, me being a kid among many other kids - we went to the local mill race where the stream was confined in a narrow run, and there we used big, long handled fish nets to scoop-up the shad by the dozens. That is until the game wardens came around. Then we had to skedattle real quick.

But, my point is this - the shad were split down the back bone, leaving the belly skin intact so that the fish was opened up butterfly-like. It was then tacked to an old cedar shingle or just a board, and propped up before an open fire for cooking.

Ah, what feasts we had on the river bank. I remember the shad are a bony fish, but if you were careful and spit out the bones, they sure were good.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Read about that shad run back in that day. Saw pics of fisherman shoulder to shoulder. Seems I recall reading how the shad run at Valley Forge saved their bacon a time or two.

Apparently the cedar plank isn't just for salmon. Hmmm . . .

Thinkin'Sticks

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
'Schticks,
Ms. Audrey bought some catfish at the meat market yesterday in Acatlán de Juaréz. I tried to ignore here desire to do so by keeping on walking. But she stopped and did it anyway. And then made me pay for it, sniff! Just can't get into it. But I suppose I will have to eat some...
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Volie, saw out a cedar plank and brave it . . .

Snickerin'Sticks

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Fiddlesticks I might can help out on this here pink thing. All my pink jigs are called Bubble Gum. Ain't no self respecting southern boy gonna fish with nuttin pink!

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Good idee, Brian. I might call mine pale red. If I think I need 'em. I can see how in murky or deep water 'pale red' could gray down into a minner lookin' kinda color. So that pink wouldn't actually be pink - if you asked the fish, anyhow. Which don't matter if it's pale red . . .

Squirmin'Sticks

Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Lots of different lure colors out there...so they must see something.

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post