MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Tall Tales    Likely a dumb question . . .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Likely a dumb question . . .
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
But I'm brave enuff to ask it . . . sort of . . .

Anybody know if fish are color blind? Got plenty of deer in the freezer; allowed as to how I'd go back to fishin' to supplement the diet. Now folks are saying fish hit that color better than this'un, etc. I've seen pictures of the oddest colored home tied crickets and such! - never would such a thing be found in nature! What fish ever saw a chartreuse grub worm? Yet they're claimed to catch a mess of fish lickity split . . .

Now, with a dumb ol' color blind deer or squirrel you can wear bright orange from head to toe as long as you stand still, or scratch your nose real slow. What gives with fish? Can they see colors?

Scratchin'hishead'sticks

P.S. - Yeah I know this ain't a fishin' site. That's why my question is in Tall Tales. Folk that know me know I oughtn't ever get out of the Tall Tales section, anyhow . . .

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
I do believe they see color. When fishing for bass, a deep purple plastic worm seems to work best for me.

When fly fishing, the color of the fly makes a big difference as well.

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Several scientific studies have been done on whether or not fish can see colors. The answer, at least for the species tested is - yes.
Apparently, at least some fish can even see ultraviolet colors.

On some of our local trout streams the brookies, rainbows, and browns sometimes seem to prefer a gold or copper colored spoon or spinner. I also often use either a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. white or yellow jig. They also sometimes hit well on two or three kernals of yellow corn threaded on a small hook. The trout sometimes even hit on little white or pink marshmellows.
Of course, garden hackle (worms) work most of the time for most any kind of freshwater fish.

I usually start my fishing season in mid-February.
By coincidence, I spent this morning out in the barn sorting out my fishing tackle.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thankee fellas. And its always good to hear from Tennessee - the folk who settled these ol' hills of mine.

Y'all must be right.

It's amazing that color takes such precedence over nature. Eat a worm if it's purple? Not sure if fish are smarter than me or I'm dumber than fish. They let a worm slide by that looks like it ought to, and grab up another just because it's yellow. Sheesh . . .

Apparently they not only see color but are bedazzled and made hungry by it.

If a purple squirrel or a chartreuse deer came by I ain't sure I'd shoot and eat 'em.

But then I'm not as adventuresome as a fish . . .

Fiddlesticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Whaal Sticks; I dunno !! Fly fishin usta be a passun with me and I always thought it wast the shade and the size ans silohette rather than the color and then ya go an cast tha "Royal Coachman" onta th waters and tha jus "slaps th happy crappy" outa tha theory !!

Rupe/PA

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My own experience suggests that they can be very picky about colors. Some of you fruitcake eaters like to eat fruit that is unusually colored too.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Haw! Haw! Haw! Scoundrel that helps me understand fish much better!

Hey Rupie, he fits right in here don't he?

Sideslappinsticks

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Fiddlesticks!! Ever get to thinking about what they can smell ????
And iffin they can???? do they sniff each other like dogs can????
Boy's fruit cake puts powder in the pan..Ha!

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Cant say one way or the other,,however I tie flies for fishing and have experianced the same fly pattern tied in a different color and the fish will take one and not touch the other.This was done with two people presenting the fly in the same area/same time and never get a rise on one and the other taken repeatedly.Same with spinners trolled,silve or gold one catching the other not. Have to talk to a Fish Scientist about rods/cones in the eyes of fish!!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wal, I reckon catfish can smell. Don't know if buck-fish scent trail doe-fish or not. Anyhow they both wind up at the right spot when the bed is scraped out come spawning time.

Sure is a mystery how color overrides all else. If a fella ties natural looking bait he'll be up a stump lots of times. Reckon I'd better tie every color of woolly buggar, bucktail streamer, and grasshopper that I can come up with. 'Cept pink. I ain't fishin' with no pink. A man's got to keep some backbone these days - at least down at the crick by hisself.

Fumin'sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
overcast days I use light colored flies on bright days I use dark,,why cause that is what I was told works,,and it does,,,,Fiddlesticks there are days when I'd fish pink in a dress just to see if there are fish there,,hoping nobody from camp see me..When I camp you eat what you caught,,eels look good the end of the week!!!!!Catfish,hornpout up here, are eaten after your socks,,,me I eat catfish like a river otter,did time in Brunswick Ga in the Navy.They dont even eat Blue gill or sunfish up here,,,,even in the 1 1/2 lb size,,me oh yea,hush puppies and deep fried fish,,,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Haw Haw Haw !! Naah, this thred jus congers up a hole bevya pithers inta me mind.

Tyin a bright pink, ya says, feather creasion ta th tip of me tippet an flippin it out thar with sum hope er desparashion !

Walkin Crow wearin tha "pink dress" ovr a pair of thm waders ? an othr fisher men sittin onta th shore line an laughin an cryin !

An anser ta th question frm another fisher man er woman who ask whacha catch it on; an th answer ta be; "Aaaah, a pink bucktail ??". Soo, whas th pattern ?

Th cricks an th streams ar sur gonna git mor intrestin ths year. Don wanta fergit ta pack suna tha cake with th brite colerd fruit in it fer me lunch.

Haw ! Goin ta fishin Rupe

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
GASP! - 'Crow! tell me it ain't so! Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! Rupie cover your eyes!

Seems to me a sight like that'd chase every fish out onto the bank - even if they like pink. Talk about crisscrossin' rods and cones!

Hmmm, I can see where you'd have the whole crick to yourself . . . that'd be one way to clear out the competition on opening day of trout season . . .

I caution against high heels though, might be kinda slicksome on the crick bottom.

Uh . . . me being a Navy fella too (squirm), I wisht you'd left that part out . . .

Haw! Haw! Haw!

Hootin'an'hollerin'Sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walking Crow:
overcast days I use light colored flies on bright days I use dark,,why cause that is what I was told works,,and it does,,,,Fiddlesticks there are days when I'd fish pink in a dress just to see if there are fish there,,hoping nobody from camp see me..When I camp you eat what you caught,,eels look good the end of the week!!!!!Catfish,hornpout up here, are eaten after your socks,,,me I eat catfish like a river otter,did time in Brunswick Ga in the Navy.They dont even eat Blue gill or sunfish up here,,,,even in the 1 1/2 lb size,,me oh yea,hush puppies and deep fried fish,,,

Crow; I had me a son-in-law from Minny-sota once. With him it was trout, bass, walleyes, and northern pike - nothing else. Catfish are disgusting bottom feeders to him.
Well, my daughter finally dumped the moron and several years later she married a catfish eating southern boy. And, they lived happily ever after.

Hey, ya'll know that when the bream are in their spauning beds that you can sometimes detect a slight watermelon-like odor rising up from the water. I reckon that just might be perfume to the bull brim.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
A man ain't et fish till he's et it southern style. 'Course he might die quicker from all the oil . . .

In all honesty, I'd like to try a northern kind of fish cookin'. I go up to Wisconsin most every year, mebbe I'll luck on to some up there.

Anyhow, it's full steam ahead. Done tied a green grasshopper (forgot the legs), and just finished a black woolly buggar (with its hackles too short). But they ain't pink so there's no temptation to fish 'em in a dress . . .

Threadwindin'Sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Haw Haw Haw !! Butt iffin al else fails fer ya ????????

No Cross Dressin Fer Rupe

Factor
posted Hide Post
Speaking of eating fish other than 'southern', I now remember eating some salmon which they claimed was cooked on a cedar plank! Haw! - and they expect me to believe that? I spent many a miserable hour in cedar thickets back in the day. Imagine going in there, cuttin' down a goodly cedar, getting all gommy (gummy) with cedar rawz'm (resin), and all those cedar nettles bristlin' down your shirt collar - just to saw off a two foot length of the trunk and getting a froe and splitting out a shingle to cook a fish on? Now, I may not fish with pink, but I ain't green, either.

I like a tall tale but I wasn't expecting one in a menu. Howsomever, it was larrupin' (and I don't normally care for salmon). So, I can forgive their yarnin' over how it was cooked. Fact is, it was so good that I don't care if it was caught on a pink fly by a feller wearin' a tutu . . .

By the way Scoundrel, I polished off a fruitcake for breakfast this morning . . .

Lickin'mylips'sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fiddlesticks two kinds of Cedar,,Aromatic,West Coast,Hope Chest are made of it and then white Cedar, East Coast, is the other used to plank cook fish. People up here wont eat Crappy either,I catch them in the 1--2 lb size almost sink a canoe with them.Dipped in egg, rolled in corn meal deep fried,hush puppies with bits of onion/smoked bacon in them and a wash tub full of cold drinks of choice,,,,,
Buffalo River,,,, is that the one running through Pa.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I was born hungry and it's only got worse with time, so I eat most things, and I love to catch and eat catfish and crappie and bass up to about a pound and a half. Less enthusiastic about trout but I still eat them. But if you want to eat fish northern style a salmon fillet grilled on a cedar or alder plank cannot be beat. Don't buy the expensive little planks in the store, just cut some out of a board. Soak the plank all day or the night before. Use about a medium hot charcoal grill. Take the plank out of the water and wipe off the water and I rub a little olive oil on the side the fish goes on. Put the fillet on skin side down. I like to put some Johney's seasoning salt on, more than you would think, some garlic powder and maybe a little dried dill. Rub it with olive oil and put it on the grill and close the lid. Cook 'till done, 20 minutes or so, depending on the size of the salmon. When you take the lid off don't have you face too close because the smoke will get you. It smokes the fillet while it's cooking and it's dang good. I like alder better than cedar but I usually use cedar because I've got a big stack of cedar boards. I didn't use cedar for a long time because I couldn't imagine it being good, but it is.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Speechless'Sticks