Find
Notify
Tools

Eclipse
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted
Even deep down here in ole México we had the moom covering about 30% of el sol. I have a glass for a welder's helmet. My wife was worried it would not be enough so I also put on dark sunglasses. I had no problems with dazzle. I was surpriesd at a little dazzle without the sunglasses. More aura around the solar disk. I've only been watching sunrise/sunset with the other glass where I can stare at the sun for long periods. It is startling just how black the shadow is. We even noticed that there was a diminished light under a clear sky at the full coverage we had here. Our daughter in PA said the crickets and cicadas started chirping, there it was 76%.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Weeell,Way up here in Oreegun Territory,we had a considerable darkening....Birds went to sleep,and I witnessed a mouse get brave and venture from some juniper bushes....Several feet from shelter.I guess they thought it was night.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We went over the mountains to Murphy, NC to see it. We set up on an open hillside where we had a good view.

It was a long time coming, a little more than an hour since it began until total coverage. We had totality for 2 minutes or slightly longer. Then another hour or so until it was completely over.

Really Cool! It suddenly got dark, but the horizon was light. Strange!

Our pictures did not come out well. Very difficult to focus on something that you can't look at. The filters were so dark that we could not see through them unless we were pointed directly at the sun. We took hundreds of pictures, but only a few are okay.

Beware. We were told that a welder's mask is not adequate for looking at the sun. We wore special glasses that seemed to work well.

I've seen a partial eclipse of the sun. I've seen an eclipse of the moon. I've seen Haley's Comet. Now I've seen a total eclipse of the sun. My life is complete (:~)

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
We had 85% here in DC. It was very cool, but yes welder's goggles alone don't provide the protection. I hope the extra lenses helped prevent damage.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Last time I witnessed an eclipse was in the early-mid 1990s. Don't know what % it was but it got as dark as night under a full moon. Frogs and crickets started up as did other night creatures. Totally cool. I made a pinhole camera to observe it but the darkness was was what astounded me.

This time in Va it was suppose to be 86% but it never even got dim; just stayed sunny. I missed the one in 1916 because just as I was about to see my first eclipse, it got dark and I couldn't see a thing. Big Grin

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
LD, no damage.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
As I understand it,the GAS welders glasses aren't up to the job,but ARC welders eye protection is.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I said my arc welder glass was not quite enough so I also wore complete uv protection sunglasses. When I bought the welder's glass I didn't buy the darkest one because I use it to watch the sunrise/sunset. The darkest ones would have been too dark for that. But there is much less atmosphere to filter the sun at zenith like on monday for the eclipse.

pistuo deo lalo