New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Book
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I came across an old book recently that I think is pretty good. "Arundel" by Kenneth Roberts. The original copyright is 1930, but my addition was published in 1956.

It is a historical fiction beginning during the F&I War and following the life of fictional character Steven Nason as he interacts with various native Americans, French, British, Benedict Arnold, and others.
As it says on the book's jacket cover; "Arundel is one of the most thrilling of all novels of America's past."

It takes a while to get to it, but the main theme is Benedict Arnold's leading of American Continental troops up the Kennebec River in Maine to attack Quebec during the American Revolution.

I think the descriptions of food, clothing, the countryside of those times is excellent.
If you can find this old book I highly recommend it for good entertaining reading.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think I read that one as a young pre-teen....A loooong time ago.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, thriftbooks.com has this, and the two sequels available at reasonable prices.

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I like historical books a great deal. One of the best was David McCullough's "1776". Not fiction, of course, but engrossing. As a kid I read and reread "Bears of Blue River" and it started my interest in history and muzzleloaders. I've had a book, "The Longhunter" for a few months. It's by Lawrence Elliott and about Dan Boone. The copyright is 1976 or there about. Anyone read this particular book? I've finally got close to finishing up the others I picked up and will soon start on it.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I haven't read "The Longhunter", but I have read "Boone", by Robert Morgan, 2008. Pretty good.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post