MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Tall Tales    To heck with a note in a bottle...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To heck with a note in a bottle...
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Here's a link to a story to a guy who lost his digital camera while paddle boarding in NC. He was from Canada. Well, the camera turned up 11 months later 24K from where it was lost...still taking a picture every five seconds like it was programmed to do when it was lost.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/...ecovered-120229.html

Granted, the message is not near as visual as Princess Leia saying, "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi You're Our Only Hope," but it sure beats a message in a bottle.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A picture every 5 sec. for 11 months?... That must be one full SD card...RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I had the same thought...to say nothing about battery life, etc.
So I thought, assuming the battery was OK, maybe that card is set up to "wrap" and just keeps recording over itself back at the beginning...but then the article showed the picture of the guys legs as he was wading trying to find it.

Then I thought it was a typo and it should have read every 5 minutes...so that would be:
12 / hour
288 / 24hr day
8,640 / 30 day month
95,040 / 11 months

Are SD cards now days big enough to hold about 100,000 photos ??

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
READING the story left me with the impression it was every five seconds for the entire time it was lost. Then I looked at the site again, one of those commenting on the story said to LISTEN to the audio version of the story, since it was on radio to begin with. In the audio portion, they seemed to say it was a day or so when it quit...can't remember the exact details...give it a listen. Pretty impressive story.

You might be able to put that many images on an SD card...but they'd probably be about 1k each.

As mentioned in the audio part of the story, the waterproof housing it was in was well worn but still functioning, as the camera was still dry and functional.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post